What knife features do you HATE that others LOVE?

Most vertically convex handles
Top guards on work knives
Swedges on work knives
Brittle martial knives
Non-radiused blade-tang transitions like ka-bar is famous for
Common serrations
Spyderco humps
Tiny guards that only serves to poke my index finger e.g. Fällkniven F1
Cut frame locks
And i just can't bring myself to trust laminated composite steels like i can a solid chunk of tough steel

Small useless finger choils
Choils on 3" or shorter blades
Chisel grinds
Hollow grinds
Patterned blade coatings (skulls, camo, etc)
American tantos
Most g10 yup I said it I find it to be a poor handle choice
And serrations I hate serrations I wish they had never been invented if you can't sharpen a knife don't use one!(other than rescue blades and knives for working with ropes)

Last edited:
tanto
chisel grind
combo edges
big choil (think Strider)
tip-down only
skull beads
fantasy knives
huge gaudy pocket clips (the main reason I own so few Kershaws)
pointless swedges and other non-functional ornamental grinds

liner locks (with MAYBE a couple of exceptions)

I'm gonna echo what others have said:
-Combo-edge blades
-High-ride pocket clips
-Gaudy camouflage patterns on blades and/or handles
-Most thumbstuds
-Chisel grinds

Serrations partial or full
Thumbholes
Tanto
Tip up only
Assisted opening
Big choil on a folder

knives with only right handed clip option. THERE ARE LEFT HANDED PEOPLE OUT THERE
automatics or spring assist with shitty safty.
fully serrated knives and half.
all cheap materials that are described as high Quality.
you pay cheap you pay twice.

- Tacti-cool
- Emerson Wave (or any wave)
- Partial serrations
- Tanto
- Lanyard and lanyard beads
- Grinds that are simply made to look 'cool'. That is how I feel about the nightmare grind and a few others. (i know, just MY opinion.)

I hate filework on backsprings; it looks hokey to me. I also don't like stag or horn handles. Most guys seem to love them but it looks too cavemanish to me. A stag handle looks like it belongs on a primitive flint knife.

Appropriate use of stag:
knife.jpg

No thanks
DSCN0207-3.jpg

DSCN9696.JPG

This one is a multiple offender...silly blade etch, ugly handle material, and a guitar? Was it made for this guy?
esteban.jpg

collectible_pocket_knives_-34512207130540040.jpg

I see pictures of knives like the above posted here from time to time and the comments that usually follow puzzle me. People post things like "that's a user, keep it" or "imagine what stories it could tell..."
I can imagine the story. It would be something like "I spent the past 2 decades at the bottom of a lake."

collectible_pocket_knives_-34512207130540040.jpg

i see pictures of knives like the above posted here from time to time and the comments that usually follow puzzle me. People post things like "that's a user, keep it" or "imagine what stories it could tell..."
i can imagine the story. It would be something like "i spent the past 2 decades at the bottom of a lake."

LOL! :D That's hilarious, but I'm not really sure that qualifies as a 'feature'.

Dislikes:
Coated blades
Beadblasted blades
Partial serrations
Thumbstuds that protrude above the scales
Polished bolsters
Holes in handles
Chisel grinds on the wrong side

generally,
i dislike blood grooves.
i dislike thumbholes.
i dislike serrations.
i dislike polished parts (especially the pocket clip)

touching more on the blood grooves... i understand that this is a good way to reduce weight and maintain strength; heck, i can appreciate most grindlines on a blade and find beauty in them.... but i dont think i will ever EDC a knife with a blood groove. admittedly, i have laughed at a few pocket knifes that have have blood grooves.

as already stated: the fantasy look
serrations
too light, or thin
tip down option only
and handles with poor grip

I hate fixed blades with holes drilled in the blades. In fact, I hate most fantasy knives.

Coatings on blades.... I hate coatings on blades. The only coating I ever liked was Boron Carbide because its slick.

I also hate lanyards on a folder.

Left handed chisel grinds on right handed knives (Emerson) simply baffles me. I love when I go to cut something and it won't cut straight. :rolleyes:

Well, not everyone. I have a shoebox full of 'em but just can't seem to
find a buyer....

You may have found one.... Email me.

Last edited:
Back