What knife features do you HATE that others LOVE?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sqoon, Dec 22, 2010.

1. krakoa

krakoa

Jul 10, 2003
    I'm not a fan of combo edges, bead blasting (especially on liners or other internal parts), assisted openers, smooth gripping surfaces, sub-optimal lock engagement, limited carrying options, unnecessary weight, nor obtuse blade/edge geometry. My hatred, however, is reserved for Tiger Stripes, unnecessary finger choils, less-than-pointy points, blister-inducing handles, and easily damaged coatings. Although it's hard to imagine 'others' LOVING sub-optimal lock engagement, blister-inducing handles, or easily damaged coatings, I suppose anything is possible.

2. GMAHN

GMAHN

Sep 30, 2010
    I dislike
    1. Knives with curved handles
    2. Knife handles with large butt ends.
    3. Knives that have no significant guard.

I also notice that these type of threads are always hit by lots of slip joint and traditional knife style guys telling us all of the evils of thumbstuds and flippers. I mean who likes to have a fast reliable ambidextrous way to open a knife?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. jason2891

jason2891

Sep 28, 2010
    i cant stand....G10, S30V, VG10, 154CPM, zdp 189, D2, anything made by spyderco, benchmade, crk, or hinderer, full flat grinds......

hope nobody thought i was serious.... are you nuts?!?!? LOL

no in all honesty my biggest dislikes are tip down carry, black blades, camo patterns, and blades that come from the factory DULL

4. EricV

EricV Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 19, 2008
    All camo handles

Blades with a lot of belly

Blades with no fine tip

Any lock that is a PITA to disengage

Low rider pocket clips

Thick saber grinds

Bead blasted blades, or most ceramic coatings as well.

5. Bet That Hurt

Bet That Hurt

Jan 30, 2007
    Holes in blades are a dealbreaker, also paracord wrap instead of handles.

6. lilknifekid

lilknifekid

Aug 28, 2008
    I hate

Partial Serrations
    Thumb Studs
    Paracord wrap
    Tanto blades
    I dont like mirror polished blades very much but its not a deal breaker.

7. timcsaw

timcsaw Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I do have a few knives with partial serrations and do find times when it's handy. Though they do look funny, I find times when it's easier to carry just the one blade rather than two. I'm more of a "function over form" kinda' guy.

Partly serrated blades with the serrations toward the tip end DO make me ask "Why?" though... I don't get those?!?!

8. crom

crom

Mar 29, 2007
    Finger choils on folders, give me more edge man!
    Thumb hole of any shape
    Serrations
    Decorative lanyards
    Chinese steel
    Wharncliff blade
    Kerambits
    Wave feature
    Knives with less than a full, four finger grip.

9. RLANG

RLANG

Apr 22, 2010
    Combo edged blades
    Blade edges w/o sharpening choil
    Teflon coated blades (especially from Cold Steel)
    Spyderco Hump
    Thumb/pocket plates
    Axis Lock (especially Cold Steel's version/copy)

10. tsuba

tsuba

Jun 12, 2008
    Another CQC7 fan :D

11. Flashpoint

Flashpoint

Apr 3, 2004
    I'm really not that picky. I like and see a use in most all blade shapes, coated or uncoated. I can use flippers, holes, and thumb studs just fine. A/O or full manual it make me no difference and I have used and acclimated to ever locking type I can think of. But...

I won't pick a partially serrated blade, although I don't see them as unusable, I just don't care for them.

I can't stand thick, pry bar blades, with obtuse edges. A knife should cut/slice. If I wanted an ax, I'd buy an ax.

If a pocket clips rides too high I avoid it. I prefer low ride clips, but I'd rather carry one on my belt then pocket carry something that sticks half way out of my pocket. Which as much as I like the OD-1, it really needs to be carried tip up and that configuration just makes it ride too high. That's why it's my dedicated kitchen utility knife.

Overly aggressive G-10 (although you don't see this too much), it just tears up your pocket and I'd have to be cutting up buckets of motor oil to need something that aggressive.

12. jnich005

jnich005

Jan 8, 2010
    i really don't like fixed blades with handles that are way longer than the blade and almost all coatings

13. tsuba

tsuba

Jun 12, 2008
    There is so many things hated in this thread :eek:

My turn:
    - stonewash blade
    - cheap steel
    - too many inscriptions on blade or handle

14. dman62

dman62 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Chisel grinds, I find nothing to recommend them. I do't care for serrations but I see their usefulness in cutting som malerials. The square handle on Stryder knives, butt ugly IMHO. Skulls on anything that might be used a weapon. The attorney prosecuting you is gonna love it though. Orange handles until I saw some fellow boarders who put black hardware o them.

15. FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Oct 20, 2004

I'm not sure I have ever seen a knife that didn't have a hole in the blade at some spot.

I would say dislike instead of hate for all of the following. I'm not a fan of liner/ frame locks which many people seem to like. I just think there are better designs around and I have just had too many problems to trust them 100%.

Not real big on aluminum and stainless steel handles although titanium is OK, but not my favorite.

Don't really like blade coatings and partial serrations. Not sure I like serrations at all because I have a fully serrated Delica that never gets carried although I got it hair whittling sharp.

Also not a big fan of fixed blades. I have a couple that never get used and would rather carry around a folder.

16. ono724

ono724

Jul 17, 2010
    too funny, but pretty much on the mark after reading all the previous posts..:thumbup:

17. bomber258

bomber258

Mar 31, 2009
    I will not buy a blade that has serrated parts ANYWHERE on the edge - waste of time and space.

Coated blades cut SLOWER and drag in my hand.

Made in china is a NO,NO.

18. quinque voces

quinque voces

Oct 18, 2005
    deal breakers for me are

sabre grinds
    recurve blades
    half serrations
    and skull crushers.

19. foxx

foxx

Sep 5, 2010
    I like functional designs, that have merit for it's use. The skulls, etchings, and most flare is a deal breaker for me.
    Some blade styles are quite useful for their intended use, like serrations. If you cut rope or might need to cut rope in an emergency, then great. My SOG Seal has a combo edge, if diving I could use those serrations on wet rope or nails. But, just to carry it around camping all the time, no thanks.
    Same goes for many other blade shapes. If they have a purpose intended design, then someone will love to use it. If your not using the correct knife, well..

20. Alvaro Candanedo

Alvaro Candanedo

Feb 6, 2009
    Any design-shape that I find ugly; serrations (you use a saw instead); "machetes" or "short swords" with 11-12" blades (it should be at least, 16" blade), recurves, complicated grinds (as somebody said before, PITA to sharpen well), sheep-foot like blades; black or camo finishes (in the blade, not so much in the handle), chisel grinds
    (this, for now).