What knife features do you HATE that others LOVE?

Don't really like metal (With a major exception for Victorinox's alox) or G-10 handles, frame locks, thumb studs, flippers, stone washed/bead blasted blades, coated blades, lots of writing on the blade.

I won't buy pink or yellow knives. I hate assisted opening and won't buy one with that feature. And if it has a non-stainless blade, no thanks.

Don't really like Metal Handles whether they are Ti, Al, or Steel. Framelocks are OK if they have something on the other scale. I still have 1 or 2 around that are all metal, but refuse to get anymore.

Anything that does not need to be there.

Text, drawings, patterns, beads, etchings, most jimping, many choils, titanium, carbon fiber, (any other handle material that costs a lot and offers performance features everywhere EXCEPT knife handles), springs, compartments...I could probably think of some more, but who cares what I don't like? Buy what you like and enjoy it.

I dislike non-stainless blade materials, points that are above or below the blade axis, recurved blades, serrated edges, natural handle materials, stainless handles, non-locking folders, leather sheaths, soft steels, unidentified blade steels, and small blades (less than 3").

Orange handles.
Stacked leather handles like on some bowie knives.
Tip-down clips (even if my EDC Boker Magnum has it I will never buy another one).
Cord-wrapped handles.

Last edited:
There is no offence intended with the following post. These are just my opinions and if you disagree, I completely respect your opinion(s) regardless :D.

Using the word "tactical" and similar terms in model names, and using military or law enforcement BS to sell knives. All this does is spawn more and more "mall ninjas". "Ooh, my knife is used by special forces so if I buy this knife I'll be special forces too!" Go buy some 5.11 Tactical underwear already poseur! :D

50/50 blade edges aka partially serrated edges. I would rather just have a plain edge. A fully serrated knife might be alright for search & rescue but you could just have a plain edge that is maintained and sharp enough.

Multi-edge-blades on knives like in "The Hunted". Brian Goode makes a way better version: http://www.bgoodeknives.com/images/wsk_Beck_Goode.jpg

Knives with a saw blade spine. I still like the Rambo movies but I would not buy a knife with a saw blade spine.

Wavy fantasy blade designs and useless decorative knives with super soft steel.

I'm not a huge fan of the extreme "S-shape" recurve but I like a few Zero Tolerance knives. I guess their 0300 and similar knives have less of a pronounced recurve so I don't mind those.

Skull beads, etc.

Sub-hilts and similar handle designs. I don't mind an area where your index finger fits nicely at the point of balance, but I don't like it when the handle design separates your index finger or puts material between your fingers.

Finger Grooves. I don't like them on gun grips or knife handles. No one has the same finger size so sometimes you end up gripping the raised area between the finger grooves.

Recurves

Cheap blade coatings or camo blade, soft Rockwell Hardness - I can't believe how many kitchen knives are too soft.

Mystery steel - even though I can appreciate some of the cheaper steels for some uses but I want to know what it is so I know what to expect and angle to sharpen.

Knives too thick for intended use.

Large choils usually don't make sense to me or other designs creating weakness in blade design.

David

PS I thought chisel design made sense for some kitchen Japanese style knives but never tried one.

Most thumb ramps.

Last edited:
When assisted openers and waved knives first came out I thought they were pretty cool for about 30 minutes - now I hate em. AO or waved is definitely a deal breaker for me, I Won't spend a dime on a knife with either one of these features.

Deal Breakers:
American Tanto points
Serrations
Saber grinds (like on emersons), if there is a significant swedge or something else to keep the part of the blade above the grind from being flat
Chisel Grinds
Dagger style folders
AUS 8
blade coatins on folders or stainless knives in General (with the exception of the Bravo necker)

Just dont like:
Agressive G10, not even close to a deal breaker I just prefer the look and feel of smooth handles
thumb ramps, even though I love two knives with them
recurves generally
most backlock knives

Those are the only things I know of that some people love but I hate. If emerson came out with a full flat ground or hollow ground knife without a chisel edge, i'd be on it in a heartbeat because I really want to try the wave.

Serrations! I know how to sharpen a knife. If I need a saw, my swiss army knife has one.

+1 I really hate serrations, they make it harder to sharpen the knife and I just don't find a sharp plain blade struggling to cut stuff that a serrated blade can cut. Serrations anywhere = deal breaker! I'm even switching to plain edge blades in the kitchen where I used to use serrated. For steak knives I now use paring knives, even cutting bread or tomatoes is easier with a plain edge if it is sharp.

Waved blades
I've never owned one and don't want to. I don't like how they look and I don't want a knife opening itself when I take it out of my pocket. I can open my knives well enough without this kind of assistance.

Weird 'nightmare' grinds
They make sharpening more of a chore and just look dopey! I like my knives to look like cutting tools not like something out of a fantasy movie.

Partially serrated knives.
Not fond of saw blades on SAK's. But I still have at least one.
SAKs with more than 3-layers.
Fantasy Blades thta some people actually think are real knives.
Chinese blades in general (for now)
The eyelet for hooking SAKs to a key ring. They rip holes in your pockets.
Thumb studs
Dull knives
Many "Tactical" knives.
Small hatchets that people actually think are useful for chopping jobs.

Back