What knife have you owned the longest?

Now I don't wanna know what your oldest knife is but what knife you've personally owned the longest.

Now I have many old knives, some over a hundred years old and most of my collection was aquired over 20 years ago, I even have a knives that have been in the family, (my father's and grandfather's knives but they owned them before and longer than me) but one knife, my Schrade 51OT I've owned continuously since I was 18, I bought it 35 years ago for my first job in the trades as a millwright, I carried it as an an EDC for 20+ years.

Not my knife but a borrowed pic of a similar knife, I'll have to pull the 51OT outta it's retirement for a photo op ;).
909_33586_1313696376_2.JPG

So let's see the one knife you've owned the longest, whether it's a cheap Chinese Mall Ninja/Rambo style survival knife, (I've got one someone gave me in the mid 80s when they first came out, that's 25 years I've had it, luckily the Schrade I've owned longer :)) or your grandfather's Robeson Suredge Red Bone Whittler passed down through the generations let's see a pic.

A short story, a few words about how you got it and where is at now would be appreciated.

My caddie slicer has been with me for almost 10 years. For $25 its a huge value. It earned me a decent salary the first 2 years.

It's a old frost cutlery that I've had for 6 something years...I'm traveling at the moment and can't post pics. :)

My buddy has first Stanley box cutter from 30 years ago, says it's all the knife he'll ever need. For him that's probably true, if I know him he'll pass it on to his daughter. :)

Victorinox Recruit almost 20years ago, still alive and kicking. Somehow that thing has survived all this time and can still go toe to toe with my newer SAK's, it was my first knife. I would EDC it but it has too much sentimental value, I am tempted to buy another to EDC or a Cadet.

Oldest is an old SAK Hunter, Xmas present, 1969 (44 years). Second oldest is a Buck 110, purchased new, 1971 (42 years).

My oldest is a Schrade 7OT that I have had since Chtistmas of 1988. For a long time it was the only knife I had so it has done a lot of work. Still wouldn't need much more knife as it is a wonderful tool.

Case mini trapper. It served me for many years until I discovered pocket clips and locking blades. It still rides with me on mountain bike rides and fishing trips (fly fishing). I always carry another blade with it. I just like knowing it gets fresh air.

It would be a Victorinox Huntsman, but I lost that... God do I miss it. I got it a little bit before my 13th birthday I beleive, and I am now coming up on my 15th birthday.

This thread reminded me that I need to buy another. It was one hell of a knife.

I have an old frost cutlery fixed blade that I somhow talked my mom into buying for me when I was 12. I used the heck out since we lived on a decent sized piece of land at that time. I still have it sitting in my office 21 years later!

I've had a 5 layer Victorinox, can't remember the model at the moment, for going on 27 years now. Lord&Taylor had a knife display back then and my mother bought it for me as a reward for not acting up too much when she dragged me around the durn mall for way too many hours. :)

I still have my second Case knife that I used for years hunting and general cutting (like 40 years). First one was a barlow that the main blade got ground down to nothing after years of use. Switched to a Vic SAK in the mid-1980's.

The little Schrade on the far left of this photo has been with me almost 50 years.

The yellow scaled knife next to it was handed down to me about 42 years ago.

DSC_6323b.jpg

This Old Timer 194OT is the oldest knife that I have in my possession, continuously owned by me. It isn't nearly so pretty or pristine after years of use, but still functional, still sharp (even though some steel has obviously been removed over the years) and still zero blade wobble in any direction. Pretty amazing actually. :)

When did I get it? I honestly don't know. First pass on this post said that it was my first knife. It wasn't. That was an old Barlow of unknown mfg that I have since lost. But I have had this knife as long as I can recall.

I actually need to get it out and do some serious cleaning...

P1010300.jpg

Last edited:
When I was 5 yr. old my mom gave me the sewing tool she used to rip out stiches I was so happy poking around with that. then in 1965 my mom and dad sent me to Idaho of a summer. I took my little "knife" with me, when I got there and showed my grandpa he laughed reach into his pocket and pulled out this schrade and gave it to me. He said a real man always carries a real knife. those words and that knife have been with me ever since. :)

Last edited:
First knife I bought 1972 with money from my paper route Case Shark tooth. 1 week after I got it I went for a hike with some family friends and an adult asked to use it I proudly handed it over after a while he returns it and says sorry I broke the tip..:( to this day I am hesitant to loan out my knife.

Last edited:
My Made in USA Schrade Uncle Henry. It's the one on the bottom. I've bought it new over 30 years ago.
ry%3D400

Last edited:
I don't know how many times I've posted this one.

Had it 48 years and counting.

Back