What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 9, 2016.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Looking forward to a few smaller knives (than choppers). I would love to see the evolution of a HDFK, maybe just at 7" or maybe one version at 5". Thinking camp knife.

2. Devilnut

Devilnut

Aug 4, 2003
    HDFK for sure, I also would like to see a 7” version but it is great as is.

Odog27, Mike157 and woodysone like this.
  3. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Yes, so I can get a set of AECM scales for mine!

gusbuster, Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  4. derrelw

derrelw Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    A field / camp knife with a 4" blade or something in between the EDC's and the FK2.

gusbuster, duramax, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  5. JBC_Hunter

JBC_Hunter

Jan 9, 2015
    My vote is still for a bird and trout style with a narrow 3 in blade.

6. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    An edc type blade with the handle at say a 30° angle to the cutting edge.

gusbuster, woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  7. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    How about a Bali-song with a leaf shaped blade similar to the light chopper. I’m not really a balisong kind of knife guy, but I’d buy that.

gusbuster, woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  8. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Ooooo...

woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  9. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    The boar spear, OSS lapel knife, and a super thin D3V scandi grind bushcrafter with lignum vitae grips are my wish list.

10. Fallbrook Forge

Fallbrook Forge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Hatchet/tomahawk. Hammer and spike versions.

11. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Stubby camp knife ??? So maybe take a HDMC and give it an 8” blade :) ??? Just a thought. Still dreaming of a new HDFK with slightly longer blade. Also maybe a thicker version option. Oh and maybe the HDFK released again with a thicker option. Just like the medium choppers.

gusbuster, Mike157 and Odog27 like this.
  12. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    AEB-L slicer with delta HT

gusbuster, Odog27, duramax and 3 others like this.
  13. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    AEBL is very good with an optimized heat treat, but you wouldn't like AEBL with the Delta HT. They're very different animals.

3V is a complex steel with complicated issues. AEBL is comparatively simple.

An important element in any optimized heat treat is the "heat condition" of the steel before you even start the hardening process. Grain condition (size and uniformity) and carbon distribution and spheroidization play a huge role in heat treat response and the two materials come in very different conditions and have very different needs. I try to get full runs of 3V and can order it in any condition I like and it is a super premium material that gets a lot of special attention by the steel maker. AEBL is not like that. So, for me, the first half of the process with AEBL is the most critical (it needs some love at first but is pretty simple otherwise) but the second half is where the magic happens with 3V (fiendishly complex material with complex interaction between variables). So the "Delta" terminology would be misapplied if used on optimized AEBL because AEBL doesn't need or respond to the Delta protocol, it needs something entirely different.

vkp78, Box_Opener, gusbuster and 12 others like this.
  14. TRfromMT

TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Fine.... AEB-L with NtM HT. That's really what we want. Don't confuse us with science and facts, mmmkay?

vkp78, gusbuster, Grenock and 8 others like this.
  15. PeteyTwoPointOne

Jun 10, 2014
    I get the gist of what you're saying...but now it begs my question...

...could any steel <besides 3V> benefit from the Delta protocol?

So give a batch of AEB-L the ol' Carothers' Beta Mu Phi ;) treatment or the Mooresville Shuffle, it'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

16. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007

Yes. Our optimized 4V (and V4E) are done with a process very similar to the Delta protocol. It's used on the knives that we use at the cutting competitions. Which we usually win. :D :thumbsup:

17. PeteyTwoPointOne

Jun 10, 2014
    I've noticed...thanks for the reply and Happy New Year to the Carothers Gang!

duramax, gusbuster, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  18. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Some original edc knives with 4v steel and without the swedge!

19. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    We made those. They were great. No one bought them...

20. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Yes I saw a few of those floating around but I'd love for you to bring that pattern back into production, especially in 4v steel.