What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Stubby camp knife ??? So maybe take a HDMC and give it an 8” blade :) ??? Just a thought. Still dreaming of a new HDFK with slightly longer blade. Also maybe a thicker version option. Oh and maybe the HDFK released again with a thicker option. Just like the medium choppers.

AEB-L slicer with delta HT

AEBL is very good with an optimized heat treat, but you wouldn't like AEBL with the Delta HT. They're very different animals.

3V is a complex steel with complicated issues. AEBL is comparatively simple.

An important element in any optimized heat treat is the "heat condition" of the steel before you even start the hardening process. Grain condition (size and uniformity) and carbon distribution and spheroidization play a huge role in heat treat response and the two materials come in very different conditions and have very different needs. I try to get full runs of 3V and can order it in any condition I like and it is a super premium material that gets a lot of special attention by the steel maker. AEBL is not like that. So, for me, the first half of the process with AEBL is the most critical (it needs some love at first but is pretty simple otherwise) but the second half is where the magic happens with 3V (fiendishly complex material with complex interaction between variables). So the "Delta" terminology would be misapplied if used on optimized AEBL because AEBL doesn't need or respond to the Delta protocol, it needs something entirely different.

AEBL is very good with an optimized heat treat, but you wouldn't like AEBL with the Delta HT. They're very different animals.

3V is a complex steel with complicated issues. AEBL is comparatively simple.

An important element in any optimized heat treat is the "heat condition" of the steel before you even start the hardening process. Grain condition (size and uniformity) and carbon distribution and spheroidization play a huge role in heat treat response and the two materials come in very different conditions and have very different needs. I try to get full runs of 3V and can order it in any condition I like and it is a super premium material that gets a lot of special attention by the steel maker. AEBL is not like that. So, for me, the first half of the process with AEBL is the most critical (it needs some love at first but is pretty simple otherwise) but the second half is where the magic happens with 3V (fiendishly complex material with complex interaction between variables). So the "Delta" terminology would be misapplied if used on optimized AEBL because AEBL doesn't need or respond to the Delta protocol, it needs something entirely different.

I get the gist of what you're saying...but now it begs my question...

...could any steel <besides 3V> benefit from the Delta protocol?

So give a batch of AEB-L the ol' Carothers' Beta Mu Phi ;) treatment or the Mooresville Shuffle, it'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

I get the gist of what you're saying...but now it begs my question...

...could any steel <besides 3V> benefit from the Delta protocol?

So give a batch of AEB-L the ol' Carothers' Beta Mu Phi ;) treatment or the Mooresville Shuffle, it'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

Yes. Our optimized 4V (and V4E) are done with a process very similar to the Delta protocol. It's used on the knives that we use at the cutting competitions. Which we usually win. :D :thumbsup:

Back