What makes a good SERE knife?

I am going to put orange G-10 with black liners. This one is going to go in my EDC pack. When I make the next one It will get green micarta with red liners for it.

I'm going to say the knife should be able to:

Do the normal tasks needed for small camp/bivouac such as cutting rope, making fuzz sticks, cutting meat, etc.

Be used as a prying tool

Be used as a tool to make other tools such as figure 4's, bow drills, spears, etc.

Be able to dress game

Be able to take a human life hand to hand if neccessary

Have a quiet sheath system (no velcro)

Have a dull finish. Including sheath hardware. No bright color or shiny handles/rivets. Parkerized or bead blasted blade.

Be able to do all this with a limited amount of maintenance for a specified period of time (say one month) without breakage

Almost forgot, should be FIXED blade.

I think these requirements are good for every main wilderness blade :).

I am doing a members version of a SERE knife now. Here is a pic of it pre HT and pre a small tip modification. It is in the oven right now getting hard.

DSCN1821.jpg

It is .275" CPM 3V and I think will be nearly indestructible when finished.

Grunt soldier, I am hoping for next week. I have had a couple of set backs with getting some supplies and my truck this week needed to see the truck doctor for some repairs. Shop time this week has been very little to say the least.

Big Chris, I like it. Post a pic when you get it all done Please. Say are you going to round the peak of the thumb ramp just a tad once you got it done? It looks like it would be kind of sharp and pointy if grabbed in a hurry. Just wondering.

Bryan

Chris that is a good looking blade also. I'm with bryan though that thumb ramp definitely needs rounded (I'm sure you were going to though)

Bryan sorry to hear about the car troubles and set backs. I just figured you needed a good harassing to post up some pics :)

LOL yea life has some set backs at times. I got over to the shop and put orange handles on. The glue is drying now. I will get a pic up next week when the handles are shaped and the sheath is done. Then it is out to the woods to try it out.

Bryan

Ok Grunt soldier and others lol,

I have the 7" version done. I drove down to the river and walked in to the woods. found a scrape pile of trees the city
put next to the river. In this pic you can see the piece of cottonwood branch that I am pointing to.
DSCN1475.jpg

I chopped a smaller branch off. then chopped up off a couple of other pieces the drill and hearth board.
debarked the 2 pieces and thenb split one and carve the drill up some and then the hearth board. Took my 17.5" long bow and then my home made bearing, did a burn in and then cut the notch and 61 strokes later I had a coal.

DSCN1472.jpg

Just another pic of the trial area with the knife bow drill parts.

DSCN1473.jpg

Tuesday morning I am heading to a small stream down river that runs into the river. I am going to walkup that small stream and then sit next to it where there is a little water fall ( about 7" or so lol) but it is ajust enough to hear the water fall and start a fire and do some more carving and spliting with this knife. This little stream and fire pit area that I will be heading to is where I made my second buck saw yesterday while I was there for a few hours relaxing and just plain out injoying the Oct. weather.

Here is some pics of the saw I made and a little bit of the surounding area.

DSCN1466.jpg

DSCN1469.jpg

Even Kelly Girl finds it relaxing enough to take a snooze.
DSCN1470.jpg

I will get more pics of the knife and sheath tuesday.

Bryan

Thanks for the cool pictures Bryan. Always enjoy your post . That Orange scale thing of yours is starting to grow on me.
Jeff

Bryan that looks great brother. just what I need!!! looks like a damn fine carver and all around camp blade

Nice post.

So you can start a fire with a bow drill using just cottonwood?
Can you post up a pic of your bow?

Also, I just realized that you could conceivably make a bucksaw out of one
of those wire survival saws in a pinch, eh?

Nice post.

So you can start a fire with a bow drill using just cottonwood?
Can you post up a pic of your bow?

Also, I just realized that you could conceivably make a bucksaw out of one
of those wire survival saws in a pinch, eh?

He can start a fire with less then that. :)

Hi all,

Jeff, Thanks. Soooooooo the orange handle look is growing on ya some huh? You want to see this one?

I would be more than happy to send this one down to you in a week or so if you want to see. I started on another knife like this one today but it is going to be made out of 1/4" thickness lol. When I get it done I could send you this one if you want. Just let me know.

Grunt soldier, thanks. It is great carver and slicer. After I answer your post and a couple of others I will post ppics of what I did to day with this knife.

Pete, yes I can start a fire using just cotton wood. Once the coal is made you can either put it into the inner bark of cotton wood that is dried of corse lol or make some fine shaving and then put your coal into that and then blow it into a fire. I have done it many times.
Just click on the pic and it will show you a video that i did. a fellow forum member from another forum sent me some
Sassafrass wood to try since i do not have any in my area. I use outer bark from a ceder tree and the inner bark from the cotton wood tree for my tinder bundle. Weather you use cotton wood, willow, hack berry, pear, blue berry, oak,
birch, elm, Corn Cob on Corn cob and just about every wood there is you can do just what i do in this Video.

Like I said just click on the pic and the video should paly through my photobuckets.

Pete, also just for fun I am posting this pic of a bunch of woods that are in my area that I used a corn cob as a spindle on the different woods you see in this pic.
The bow drill is really not that hard to do.

IMG_1669.jpg

You also asked about the bow that I used in that pic. I do not have a pic of it other than what you see in that pic.
It is 17.5" long and pretty darn short for a bow to be used for the bow drill. that is why it took me 61 stoke to get my coal. If I was using a longer bow it would have been in the 20 to 30 strokes to get my coal formed.

You know as to making a buck saw with a wire saw I am sure a person could.

Ok on to what I did today with this knife.
I hiked out to a spot along the river that I like and have a little fire pit at. I chopped, split, and carved up some mullberry wood. I made some small kindling, some fuzz curls and then fuzz sticks.

DSCN1476.jpg

As I was hiking out to my spot I seen a small hack berry sapling that I just had to have for a new hiking stick and so proceded to carve it( debarked it lol) up while sitting next to my fire. This sapling was pretty straight they do not come that way very often. So this one will be with me for many years to come.

DSCN1490.jpg

all in all a pretty good day out testing this knife while out in the woods and sitting next to my fire.

I did not get any pics as it is hard to cut summer sausage and apples and take pics at the same time lol. but in the kitchen this knife is working.

Take care all,

Bryan

LG&M, can say that since he came down to meet me and see my knife making shop.
During are meeting at my shop. He got to see first hand the way I do the bow drill
and the hand drill.

Take care all,

Bryan

Sure I will play.I want to see how that orange feels in the hand. Am kinda of liking that top knife in your avitor. Is that the one Mistwalker did for you? Also can you make me one of those metal things you use instead of a shot glass?

Hi Jeff, Ok When I get the other one done I will be intouch with you for sending it out to you. Yea that is one that Mistwalker designed and I made up several years back. yes I can make you a bearing if you like and send down to ya. I have some small pieces of orange G-10.

Chat with you later,

Bryan

Bryan,

I must be honest and say that the double guards YOU make are growing on me. I also must say that I really look forward to your postings, because you truly inspire. All the different woods that you use for bow drill? Talk about taking it to a science. Excellent, just excellent.

Matthew, Thanks for the kind words. Yea the slanted guard is a unique design and is to me the best. I just can not say enough about them. I think they are so freaking comfy in the hand weather you have the edge down or up with the slanted design you can wrap your pointer finger around the top or bottom guard and have such a secure grip on the knife.

I started on another one this week. If my memory serves me right This is the first 1/4"
knife I have made for myself since I started making knives.
Check out the pic the 5/32" thick knife on the left seems so slim compared to the 1/4" thick one.

IMG_0917.jpg

After Jeff gets that 7" version and sends it back, if you want to see it or one the smaller ones let me know.

Bryan

Back