What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

No color manipulation on this photo, just taken in bright sunlight :D:thumbup:

IMG_9050_s_zpsiguiqx4q.jpg~original

I used to have a bone version just like that one, Christian! Thanks for the comparison shot!!

Posted elsewhere, this nice I*XL needs to be in this thread. Apparently they are easier to find in North America, in this case Canada, than they are in Sheffield!!:D
I got it a week ago in a trade from a friend.

IXL%20Barlow%201B_zpsjmiyezdn.jpg

IXL%20Barlow%201A_zpsxcid0ncm.jpg

I was waiting for one of the I*XL's to pop up since you mentioned them Charlie- and it was worth the wait!!!!!! Wow what a I*XL that is..

Thank you. And I hear you. If I ever snare one (very doubtful), I'll hold it for half the year at mine and send it to you for six months. But you gotta send it back. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catching up and just seeing this, deal! Lol

Atiger, very nice TT pair spear and clip! Love the color of the saw cut bone handles:thumbup: Here is the one TT I have in my vintage Barlow collection. Lloyd
be489ef7-3fd9-4390-ba57-d2dfe2a73551_zpsiixz5vmi.jpg

8b699c68-2aca-4bc7-9daa-4cd8af966baa_zps4fifrfym.jpg

Atiger, very nice TT pair spear and clip! Love the color of the saw cut bone handles:thumbup: Here is the one TT I have in my vintage Barlow collection. Lloyd
be489ef7-3fd9-4390-ba57-d2dfe2a73551_zpsiixz5vmi.jpg

8b699c68-2aca-4bc7-9daa-4cd8af966baa_zps4fifrfym.jpg

Lovely old Sword Brand, Lloyd. I agree with Waynorth, unique bolster and tang stamps, beautiful handle materials, age and history make collecting barlows a fascinating pastime.

ATiger, can you please show us the tang stamps on yours??

These two are both 3-line Camillus stamps, not Swords. I thought they made a nice pair because the handles were closely matched, the tang stamps were from the same period and both had full(ish) blades.

fd67a02c69229122435382f5060130b7_zps9t3phg7d.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the tang stamp.
:thumbup:They make an exceptional pair!!!:thumbup:

Atiger and Lloyd- Great Tip Top's guys! What great Knives they are.....

Speaking of great old Barlow's heres a neat and very old Henry Sears, man this thing has absolutely NO blade Play whatsoever......

I have always wanted a DB Barlow, they have a great rep- and now I know why, nicely made knife, beautiful Sawcut Bone that almost gets a bit ugly on one of the pins face side.
The D2 Steel blades are great, a stout pull on both the Main and the secondary ( Wharny )....

I saw this on our Exchange and just could not believe it, I have wanted this knife for some time...
I have a couple of Stunning Clip Point 60's era Case Red Bone Barlows, one is particularly special to me that I carried on my Wedding Day, here is a Spear Point Brother to my Clip Points - what a lovely Knife! I am really impressed with the near full blades- Stunning Early case Red Bone that almost hues between a Orange and a Red- ans I really really like this Bone on this beautiful knife, this knife and I are the same age - both amazing conditioned Vintage Models lol.....

Case Red Bone and Native NZ Rimu.....

Back