What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Here's a funny one.
un0ypRi.jpg
How might one find this knife?

Sorry, HK123, I just discovered the "alerts" button.
I found this knife in an antique mall. It's a Frank Buster Celebrated Cutlery of Solingen Fightn Rooster. It's a strange blade shape, but I think it's original.

My ultimate and ante penultimate Barlow purchases. Both Kutmasters. The spear-blade is my only spear Barlow. It was in the five-dollar bowl perhaps because of the nick in the edge, and perhaps because it advertises a Minnesota electrician on one side and a Kentucky electrician on the other.
I got the clip one yesterday. It is missing maybe a 32nd of an inch off the main's tip. I'll leave them both alone until they sharpen out.
tn6sfr1.jpg

Yes - black RIT dye. It was a two-toned green - a factory second - but I couldn't bring myself to like it. The dye was uneven, and the lighter colored dye color was just unappealing, and made worse by the fact the darker shade didn't even seem the same color.

I used black RIT and it worked out ok. The black RIT dye is dark purple, which I didn't expect. It did get the bone black, but a quick once over with a sharpie, left to dry then washed off with WD-40 brought the little extra sharpness required to make it pop. The only issue is, there is no obvious way to tell it's bone anymore. It could just as easily be a plastic or composite. I think a very dark brown is likely better than straight up black for that reason.

Camillus
I think thats a big improvement, I do like the Darker Green versions of this- but with what you started with- BOOM! massive difference.
If I ever pick up a knife and it has extremely Dark brown or Black Covers - I always look on the very top cut- By the Liner and if it's Bone theres always those wee tiny tell- tell pours.

I'm think that you did a great job!

Back