What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

36402081600_90a394d108_c.jpg

I like how the ebony on this run is radiused rather than chamfered.
That was the first thing that struck me when you posted your pics of this beauty. They treated it like the African Blackwood 77 Medium Barlows.

Yeah Bob, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it makes for some really dressy elegance. Might even pick up a slip for it.

I know the sheepsfoot blade also isn't everyone's cup of tea, but on a knife this size, it actually does really well, and I don't feel like I can't poke a little hole if I need to. The lines with the long pull make it look like a 50s Cadillac.

I just got done cleaning, nano oiling, and mineral oiling my Mad .

The level of F&F on these TC Barlows are amazing! All my half-stops are flush. Very little dirt from the factory. No factory scuffs. So well done!

waynorth waynorth I just love your SFOs. You introduced me to barlows and yours are some of the best. Well done, sir.

I love seeing the new TCs guys. Very nice looking knives, particularly the Ebony ones. I think the sheepfoot blade is very beautifully executed on the 15 frame.

Barlow 1.jpg Barlow 2.jpg Barlow 3.jpg barlow 4.jpg

I got mine! Always a good week when a TC Barlow arrives in the mail :D

Funny thing...my family and I just got back from camping at Kings Canyon/Sequoia and my son bought a Bighorn stuffed animal at the giftshop...It'll be a perfect match...I'm going to steal it from him ;)

Last edited:
>Nice Soup mixture, Drew!
>Thanks again for showing the custom scratting, Dave!
>Wonderful soup Russell, despite that ugly caplifter!:rolleyes: Pairs well with a dead Skunk!!:D
(JK, JK!)
Thanks for the pics Jake, Tim, Drew, Jack, Ron, Paul and HST!!!

John and Dave I was there and I remember Charlie and Evan talking about the reverse parchment. I could be totally wrong about this but I believe the "Reverse" came about from the fact that they hafted, by mistake of course, 5 or so knives with the bone on backwards or inside out or what ever the correct way to say this would be! :rolleyes: That explains the difference in the shading and colors of the Bone! That also explains the corrections on the tube end label where Charlie added the Rev and the Red Star! Charlie please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

You are correct, Ron. There was some confusion when the backside resembled "sawcut".
GEC knows we all like it when they print the airplane upside down (a reference to some famous postage stamps), so they didn't correct it! I don't remember the exact number, but it was around five - only a few!

I feel traditional when I put my barlows to use, especially a "store knife" like this:

My Unicorn Ivory Acrylic #25 Little Barlow has proved itself a solid little worker. I've been carrying and using it with great satisfaction. It's such an easy to carry and practical knife. The Unicorn Ivory Acrylic has also surprised me a couple times, being that I've dropped it on both hard wood and asphalt without any cracking or chipping.

It makes for a nice fruit slicer to prep strawberries for dehydration:

Ukhj0pTm.jpg

It does well in food prep on smaller vegetables like peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and even cucumber. It cuts through hard boilies like butter:

l5LuxRSm.jpg

lDvBduvm.jpg

And it takes a very handsome patina contrasted against the creamy white scales:

0aNTGqIm.jpg

pnPrPJym.jpg

Back