What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Beautiful knife my friend . As far as the book goes : I had to force myself to finish the reading of it . Too much meandering information for me in between an otherwise outstanding story that I did enjoy .

Harry
My wife feels the same about the book as you, Harry, except she didn't enjoy anything about it. Me, I've read it three times and looking forward to reading it again. The novel works on so many levels, and I loved learning the intracacies of mid-nineteenth century whaling. I found it fascinating.
But I also understand having to force yourself to finish a book. Tried three times with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Got 3/4 of the way through the last time. Not going to try again. (My wife loves that one, though!)

IMG_20140910_171920_zpsnqdcgpro.jpg
Please tell us more about this TC, Guest!!??

My wife feels the same about the book as you, Harry, except she didn't enjoy anything about it. Me, I've read it three times and looking forward to reading it again. The novel works on so many levels, and I loved learning the intracacies of mid-nineteenth century whaling. I found it fascinating.
But I also understand having to force yourself to finish a book. Tried three times with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Got 3/4 of the way through the last time. Not going to try again. (My wife loves that one, though!)
+ 1 for Zen... (yet I have 2, original + translation) I soon got tired of the pseudo philosophy (funny cigarettes?) and stopped reading when he evokes the tightening of the chain...on a BMW! :rolleyes:o_O

Hey Charlie :) :thumbsup:

Sir - the very faintest remains of a basic Henry Sears Stamp.

Looking at the Bone and the Sears Stamp that perhaps Camillus was the birthplace.
I welcome the much more knowledgeable to study the Bone and such and by all means correct me my friends. :) :thumbsup:

The knife looks to have survived much in the way of abuse or modification.

If you look carefully- it sports a beautiful long Swage, nice old Iron Bolsters, Steel pinned beautiful Sawcut that is now nearly smooth. A great Knife.

At times I want to sharpen this and carry it - very much like my old HJ’s - and you know a lot of them Charlie my friend- but also wonder if I have that right to?
Please don’t get me wrong as I am not making this ol Grandaddy a treasure to the Knife World - but to me it sort of is because there comes a time when something like this - a tool that has survived nearing a Century of use and still this gracious? should be recognised and respected for such.

So, if you sharpen and use gently, she can be exposed to the world and when people comment "Man, that is one fantastic old knife" think how you can educate them on how it's ALMOST as old as you:p I kid my friend, only about the old part, but you know me, I'd carry and treat the old girl with respect. To me, it deserves to be carried and exposed to the world. I respect opinions opposite of mine, but I'd still carry it;) To lovely not to:thumbsup:

tmd_87 tmd_87 - cool! My ancient spear blade came pretty sharp out of the tube but I may put a edge on it in 2019. I really enjoy this knife. There is something special about it. Mine also has great walk and talk which is so nice.

I’m surprised so many have been up for sale already. If I could only keep one knife out of the 30 I have it might be this one.

Duncan, pair of very nice grand daddies, love the bone on this one.

I added a few more old ones, a pocket worn Case XX and a Clauss, the Clauss is a little unusual in that it appears to be Utica made instead of the usual Case made knives. Charlie, if I remember right didn't you once say that Utica made some contract knives for Case? I wonder about a Case, Clauss, Utica connection.

IMG_9677.jpg IMG_9682 (1).jpg IMG_9684 (1).jpg

Big fan of barlows, old and new, er, hybrids. I picked up this Queen a while back (sellers pics), and it has amazing action for it age. Winterbottom real bone, enclosed aluminum body, 'patent pending', so not sure of exact year of make- does anyone know? thanks fellow Porch dwellers.
QueenWinterbottom1 copy.jpg QueenWinterbottom2 copy.jpg QueenWinterbottom3 copy.jpg

Wonderful Ducan just wonderful.

Duncan, pair of very nice grand daddies, love the bone on this one.

I added a few more old ones, a pocket worn Case XX and a Clauss, the Clauss is a little unusual in that it appears to be Utica made instead of the usual Case made knives. Charlie, if I remember right didn't you once say that Utica made some contract knives for Case? I wonder about a Case, Clauss, Utica connection.

View attachment 1036631 View attachment 1036632 View attachment 1036633
I always enjoy your barlows John. And the redbone! Yesssss

Big fan of barlows, old and new, er, hybrids. I picked up this Queen a while back (sellers pics), and it has amazing action for it age. Winterbottom real bone, enclosed aluminum body, 'patent pending', so not sure of exact year of make- does anyone know? thanks fellow Porch dwellers.
View attachment 1036688 View attachment 1036689 View attachment 1036690
Absolutely gorgeous Queen.

Hey Charlie :) :thumbsup:

Sir - the very faintest remains of a basic Henry Sears Stamp.

Looking at the Bone and the Sears Stamp that perhaps Camillus was the birthplace.
I welcome the much more knowledgeable to study the Bone and such and by all means correct me my friends. :) :thumbsup:

The knife looks to have survived much in the way of abuse or modification.

If you look carefully- it sports a beautiful long Swage, nice old Iron Bolsters, Steel pinned beautiful Sawcut that is now nearly smooth. A great Knife.

At times I want to sharpen this and carry it - very much like my old HJ’s - and you know a lot of them Charlie my friend- but also wonder if I have that right to?
Please don’t get me wrong as I am not making this ol Grandaddy a treasure to the Knife World - but to me it sort of is because there comes a time when something like this - a tool that has survived nearing a Century of use and still this gracious? should be recognised and respected for such.
Sharpen that old Grand Daddy and use it !!!! He deserves a chance to show you that he still has much to give my friend .

Harry

Back