What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I do not know what it was about a 494 Boker that caught my eye but the first time I ever saw one was in a post here and I immediately went on the hunt for one. I have around 50 barlows but to me the 494 is the finest one available bar none. This is my favorite knife bar none.

AlGJEdv.jpg

I do not know what it was about a 494 Boker that caught my eye but the first time I ever saw one was in a post here and I immediately went on the hunt for one. I have around 50 barlows but to me the 494 is the finest one available bar none. This is my favorite knife bar none.

AlGJEdv.jpg
I'm glad you finally found your Boker 494, Randy!

I have a question about this Camillus Barlow I just picked up today. I wasn't sure if it was Delrin or bone, but bought it anyway, because: Camillus Barlow. :D:thumbsup:
I need to clean it some, but I kinda think it looks like Bakelite. (hot pin test did not melt, but didn't scorch or smell like bone, either) Judging by the tang stamp, I'm guessing it's a 1960s vintage. Did Camillus use Bakelite on their Barlows or other knives?
Dj65DSr.jpg
hzpdPbb.jpg

I wonder if it could be some kind of compressed fibre or synthetic? I would have thought Bakelite would respond to the hot pin test?

Others have definitive knowledge of Camillus knifeology though.:thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

I wonder if it could be some kind of compressed fibre or synthetic? I would have thought Bakelite would respond to the hot pin test?

Others have definitive knowledge of Camillus knifeology though.:thumbsup:

Thanks, Will
I'll do some more reading, but I think Bakelite does not melt. It was used for electrical insulators and radio components, etc.

I have a question about this Camillus Barlow I just picked up today. I wasn't sure if it was Delrin or bone, but bought it anyway, because: Camillus Barlow. :D:thumbsup:
I need to clean it some, but I kinda think it looks like Bakelite. (hot pin test did not melt, but didn't scorch or smell like bone, either) Judging by the tang stamp, I'm guessing it's a 1960s vintage. Did Camillus use Bakelite on their Barlows or other knives?
Dj65DSr.jpg
hzpdPbb.jpg

Camillus did use Bakelite before the switch to Delrin

Camillus did use Bakelite before the switch to Delrin
Thank you for the info. If this is Bakelite, then I'm thinking the knife is about my age. ;)
9BnDlJP.jpg

Here's the other Barlow that I found this weekend. Hey, waynorth waynorth , here's a blade profile for the next run of Ancients. ;):p:D:D
nQF6OOM.jpg

Someone didn't care for the pen blade...

The following Barlows are Queen Steel #22 Barlows with one piece aluminum bolsters and frame.

The first one was Air Evaced from the previous owner to our airport and then delivered by ambulance to me by a U.S. Postal Medic. It was in rough shape when it got here and took quite a bit of cleaning to make it presentable. I did not polish out the scratches on the blades as I didn't want to disrupt the Queen Steel #22 etch on the clip blade. Whoever the previous owner was, he or she was ham fisted when it came to sharpening. It was manufactured between 1961 - 1971.

0VDF99f.jpg

ZIRla6E.jpg

The second one arrived in excellent condition - almost pristeen. It was sharp when it arrived and it was manufactured between 1984 - 1989.

3Mz1caD.jpg

XJrugT2.jpg

A couple of subtle differences made between the years of manufacture. The nail nick of the first knife is placed along the top of the blades spine. The nail nick of the second knife is placed way forward at the downswept clip of the blade. The etch of the older knife only has the etch "Queen Steel #22" on the clip blade while the etch of the second knife has the etch "Queen Steel # 22" with the etch "440 Stainless" below it. The first knife has half stops while the second knife does not. There are some other very subtle differences between the two such as tang stamps and tang stamp placements and can be seen if making comparisons of the two knives. Both knives have Winterbottom Saw Cut covers.

The following Barlows are Queen Steel #22 Barlows with one piece aluminum bolsters and frame.

The first one was Air Evaced from the previous owner to our airport and then delivered by ambulance to me by a U.S. Postal Medic. It was in rough shape when it got here and took quite a bit of cleaning to make it presentable. I did not polish out the scratches on the blades as I didn't want to disrupt the Queen Steel #22 etch on the clip blade. Whoever the previous owner was, he or she was ham fisted when it came to sharpening. It was manufactured between 1961 - 1971.

0VDF99f.jpg

ZIRla6E.jpg

The second one arrived in excellent condition - almost pristeen. It was sharp when it arrived and it was manufactured between 1984 - 1989.

3Mz1caD.jpg

XJrugT2.jpg

A couple of subtle differences made between the years of manufacture. The nail nick of the first knife is placed along the top of the blades spine. The nail nick of the second knife is placed way forward at the downswept clip of the blade. The etch of the older knife only has the etch "Queen Steel #22" on the clip blade while the etch of the second knife has the etch "Queen Steel # 22" with the etch "440 Stainless" below it. The first knife has half stops while the second knife does not. There are some other very subtle differences between the two such as tang stamps and tang stamp placements and can be seen if making comparisons of the two knives. Both knives have Winterbottom Saw Cut covers.
Thanks for that comparison Ed, it's neat to see the changes made to the same model knife over the years.

Back