What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Part of my out to the movies and dinner carry.

560nGOv.jpg

Distinctive knife, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I've never handled one of those. Does the yellow rectangle have a function, or is it purely decorative (which I suppose is a function, too :rolleyes:;))?

- GT
It's just decorative. Imperial made a number of patterns in black plastic, some with the yellow rectangle and some without. I used to think they had some marketing connection to Stanley Tools, but your question had me do a quick google search, and I can't find anything to verify that.

Such a beauty! Do you have any additional information on this little guy?
Well, cricks, you’ve sent me off to algore’s amazing internet where I discovered I have been miscombobulating my Vooses!

EMIL Voos stayed in Germany where he produced knives, including a lot for the Third Reich.

ERNEST Voos is the man responsible for my jackknife. Ernest, 1879-1921, emigrated from Solingen and began making scissors, shears, knives and razors in New Haven Ct. At some point, the business became inown as New Haven Hardware and Specialty Co.

They continued past Ernest’ death, up til 1981.

Most USA Voos knives I’ve seen have been kitchen knives or “jewelry” knives ~ fancy metal or pearl fob type knives. AND this barehead, two blade jack. Rogers bone, iron bolsters (maybe steel?), steel liners. I’ve had three, gave one away, and still have two.
Thanks for getting me to discover my error.

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
Thanks for your nice comments!
I do believe you’re right about the Gibson factory. Think it’s possible your uncle had s hand in making this old J45?

I am trying not to make french toast too often, but lemme know when you’re coming, and I’ll make a pile!

Last edited:
Well, cricks, you’ve sent me off to alfore’s amazing internet where I discovered I have been miscombobulating my Vooses!

EMIL Voos stayed in Germany where he produced knives, including a lot for the Third Reich.

ERNEST Voos is the man responsible for my jackknife. Emil, 1879-1921, emigrated from Solingen and began making scissors, shears, knives and razors in New Haven Ct. At some point, the business became inown as New Haven Hardware and Specialty Co.

They continued past Ernest’ death, up til 1981.

Most USA Voos knives I’ve seen have been kitchen knives or “jewelry” knives ~ fancy metal or pearl fob type knives. AND this barehead, two blade jack. Rogers bone, iron bolsters (maybe steel?), steel liners. I’ve had three, gave one away, and still have two.
Thanks for getting me to discover my error.

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
Thanks for your nice comments!
I do believe you’re right about the Gibson factory. Think it’s possible your uncle had s hand in making this old J45?

I am trying not to make french toast too often, but lemme know when you’re coming, and I’ll make a pile!
Thank you so much for taking this deep dive.

A couple of follow-up questions: You wrote that Emil Voos produced knives for the Third Reich, but only lived until 1921, which I think is a little more than a decade before the Third Reich would have been needing knives, so I'm a little confused about the timeline. Were there two knife makers named Emil Voos? Also, were Emil and Ernest brothers?

Thank you!

I'm going to watch a High School marching band competition.
I'm throwing a very special knife in my pocket to keep me company.
It belonged to Ron, then gifted to Harry, and then gifted to me... which makes it special beyond words.

That’s some good company right there, John.

Thank you so much for taking this deep dive.
A couple of follow-up questions: You wrote that Emil Voos produced knives for the Third Reich, but only lived until 1921, which I think is a little more than a decade before the Third Reich would have been needing knives, so I'm a little confused about the timeline. Were there two knife makers named Emil Voos? Also, were Emil and Ernest brothers?

Thank you!
Bad proof resding before posting my reply!

I have edited to make the correction, but it was Ernest who lived 1879-1921!
Only lived to 40 years old!

Sorry about that, my friend.

Back