What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Well, this is the first part of a massively-multiquoting post I intended to submit this morning. But I ran into a size-limit error (and once that happens, I seem to have difficulty trimming the post to an acceptable size no matter how many characters I cut). So I eventually ended up splitting the "offending" post into two parts, and I stored this one temporarily in a word processing document that I hoped to copy back into the BF editor later. However, when I did that, I got what shows up below. All of the images (including emojis) disappeared.

Even though technology showed me who's boss, I refuse to acknowledge defeat and am posting this stripped-down, castrated version just out of spite!

I keep having to hitch my pants up today.
But it's worth it, right, Jer? Quality quartet!

I'd forgotten you already had a Lambsfoot GT
I suspect that someone figured out they could sell knives to both plumbers and gardeners GT!
I frequently find that someone will post a knife pic and I'll think, "Oh, right. I'd forgotten that person had that knife." Since all of us here seem to own vast quantities of knives, I suppose it's not surprising that I can't remember everyone's inventory. (Sometimes I open my own storage boxes and discover knives I'd forgotten about! )
Thanks for the confirmation that pruners and plumber's knives are essentially identical!

Hey GT, Thanks... the races were today--my son came in among the top three in his division, in each heat (winning a couple of them, 9 heats in all). They have a computer doing race times and calculating averages for the best times/ awards. Most of the carving was with my Lon Humphrey Kephart! The the Dremel & sandpaper (of various grits) took over. My son helped with the sanding and the painting.
Here are a few pics of the progression:
After this, the Dremel took over, and then came the pic I posted above... the Davison came later, but I needed knife content in the pic and that was in my pocket . We got to choose the colors and design... the # was assigned.

Glad you liked it!
Congrats to your son on his Pinewood Derby success, Anthony! Thanks for some pics and prose about the design process. I'm impressed that you're so adept at relatively small scale carving with that big Kephart! I fondly remember various school projects of my daughter in which she asked me to be involved: leaf collections, scale model of Mackinac Bridge, Bernoulli principle demos. My proudest moment was designing a "transmission" for a rubber band powered car to give the axle slow revolutions at the start to get traction, and ramp up the rpms as it gained momentum!

Gary, I think it deserves more than 3 Stars as well! But the Tennessee flag has 3 stars which is what this symbol is representing and the board is a cutout in the shape of the state. +1 on the "Yes, dear!"

Pam and I got home this afternoon from a weekend visit to see our daughter. Since I had been Totin my OO 73 since Friday, I decided to drop this in my pocket to make up for missing Stag Saturday!
Thanks for the TN flag info, Ron. Impressive "rain check" for missing Stag Saturday!

I've not seen this many plumbers since Dick Nixon left The Whitehouse!
Got these two with me today Have a great week everyone
Watergate jokes still amuse me 45 years after the fact.
A pair of meritorious knives you've posted, Jack. That SW stockman seems rather rare!

No, I didn't have a chance to seek out any proper local cutlery shops, so the only knives I saw were uninspiring souvenirs. Perhaps the next time I travel abroad I'll do some research on the local cutlery ahead of time.
That's a plan I'd certainly encourage, Greg. I sure enjoyed my opportunity to investigate Spanish cuchillerias when I visited my daughter a couple of years ago!

Happy Monday morning, everyone.
I'm resisting the 'it's too pretty to carry' thoughts.
View attachment 706101
My goodness, r8shell, that tip-bolstered pearl pen certainly IS pretty!

Always enjoy seeing a current pic of your classic yeller 'nut, Jeff!

Thanks for the quick lesson on Schrade Wostenholm @Jack Black. Much appreciated!

So many wonderful old knives; so much to learn...
+5K!! Thanks, Jack! Greg, here are a couple more Schrade-Wostenholm examples, perhaps not coincidentally both canoes. One is a gunboat that I think is exactly like the one Jack posted (thanks, TsarBomba):

The other is a stag canoe (whose serial number happens to be my birthday in DD/MM format ) I won in a cchu GAW:

I have a Joker like that; fantastic knife!

THAT WAS CERTAINLY LESS THAN IDEAL!!:mad::(:thumbsdown::mad::(:thumbsdown::mad::(:thumbsdown:
- GT

Thanks for the kind words and shared memories, GT. I'm used to using bigger knives in the woods/hiking/camping, so the Kephart is an absolute pleasure. It's very comfortable and that 3v takes and holds an excellent edge, so carving proved fairly easy.

I'd love to see the bridge model, and that rubber band transmission sounds pretty cool!

I definitely recommend Lon's Kephart... it has bumped my many high quality (and high price) modern fixed blades out of regular use.

An old friend

F41E7AF6-6600-4B00-8E2A-57C3030ED8C5_zpsazv9ymas.jpg

My micarta Northfield 77 Barlow is riding shotgun to my Camillus C4 today. This 77 really is one of my favorite knives. The walk and talk is absolutely amazing, even for GEC, who routinely puts out knives with exceptional walk and talk. You hear the ring of echo when either blade closes. I love the size of the knife too. Much more to my liking than the smaller GEC 15 pattern.

Sxs8S1vh.jpg

Hey, a Primble sighting!! :D:thumbsup: We're all still trying to get accustomed to the new surroundings, I think.:confused:
How's the fishing so for this spring? How about a pic of one of your display cases for old times' sake? Did your horse win the Derby? ;)

My BF rabbit holes all disappeared !! Fishing is starting to get good. My horse finished fifth. As requested (have the one fourth from top left in my pocket today):
eq6g5.jpg

I'm not sure I'd let that TC get to close to that SAK Dean:p;)

Paul, I had to lay the TC on top of the Orange SAK just to keep it still! :D

What a gorgeous matching pair! The pony cut TC is an absolute treasure, Paul. :thumbsup:

Couple of colorful charmers there, Dean! :thumbsup:

My Alox SAK of the Week is a Cadet (thanks, Ken):
I8iUfJ9.jpg

- GT

A Cadet, yay! :thumbsup:

My BF rabbit holes all disappeared !! Fishing is starting to get good. My horse finished fifth. As requested (have the one fourth from top left in my pocket today):
eq6g5.jpg

Welcome back! That is a stupendous line-up. How do you know which one to carry?

My scratted TC accompanied me on all my errands today. I've probably mentioned this before, but Charlie and GEC knocked the ball out of the park on this one. It's a keeper, a user and a dream weaver!

Well done everyone!

Thanks for the kind comment Will. Thanks as well Gary and I'm pleased you're using the Cadet.

Very nice 48 Ron. Very, very nice!! Terrific pair Paul.

I carried these two today. A Grohmann and a Premier Life Time that was made in Germany.

yjawoYSl.jpg

Have a great day!

Ken K.

Googol 'Ticks and Human Powassan Virus'.
34519299756_cc54a0ed6a_k.jpg

I'm spending my whole evening treating my socks, shoes, boots, clothes and hats with Permethrin. I'm not sure if this is media hype, but I'm not chancing this one: Human Powassan Virus takes 60 minutes to infect your blood, unlike Lyme that typically needs at least 24 hours. No cure, neurological problems, and potentially fatal. You and I aren't gonna receive the tests and medicines needed within a 60 minute time frame. We're on our own to take precautionary measures. And I thought Lyme was bad. Spread the word.

Admirably svelte profile on your Craftsman, Greg! :cool:
Yowza, P&G!! :eek::thumbsup: That's a heart-stopping knife right there! Like Elvis sang, "I'm in love! Hunh! I'm all shook up!"
Your sig line seems ironic; what's the point of looking for another drop point stag 73 when you already have the best one in the known universe!!?!:D:thumbsup:
- GT

Thanks GT, I see you have the pockets full today looks like you have all the bases covered!
The 73 is my latest addition, finally tracked one down. Guess its time to update the sig line :)

BTW I want to say thanks again to r8shell for the imperial Barlow, as you can see I carry it quite a bit ( carried it for quite a stretch when I first got it ) and it's one of my favorites.

Googol 'Ticks and Human Powassan Virus'.
34519299756_cc54a0ed6a_k.jpg

I'm spending my whole evening treating my socks, shoes, boots, clothes and hats with Permethrin. I'm not sure if this is media hype, but I'm not chancing this one: Human Powassan Virus takes 60 minutes to infect your blood, unlike Lyme that typically needs at least 24 hours. No cure, neurological problems, and potentially fatal. You and I aren't gonna receive the tests and medicines needed within a 60 minute time frame. We're on our own to take precautionary measures. And I thought Lyme was bad. Spread the word.

Yeah, can't be too careful around them ticks. :mad: Stay safe! I can't read the tang stamp, but that looks kinda like an LF&C that I have.

qgwYrx6.jpg

Wow, Greg, that ebony is very distinctive!! How many pieces from A. Wright do you have? I remember, of course, your buffalo lambsfoot that changes with the light conditions. But this gorgeous wood-handled version seems new to me, and the same is true of a superb Ettrick (with a noteworthy edge on the blade) that I saw recently in the Beverages & Blades thread. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words and shared memories, GT. I'm used to using bigger knives in the woods/hiking/camping, so the Kephart is an absolute pleasure. It's very comfortable and that 3v takes and holds an excellent edge, so carving proved fairly easy.

I'd love to see the bridge model, and that rubber band transmission sounds pretty cool!

I definitely recommend Lon's Kephart... it has bumped my many high quality (and high price) modern fixed blades out of regular use.
Sorry, Anthony, but I think most of the school projects are nothing but memories anymore! :( Sounds like you're very fond of your Kephart. :cool: I've vowed to stay away from the whole fixed blade side of the knife world, so I can concentrate my energies and resources on traditional pocket knives. (Have to confess that I finally broke down and picked up a little Mora carving knife last month that I intend to use only at home. :rolleyes:)

eq6g5.jpg
Thanks for the update and the pic of your marvelous display. :cool: Everybody's always talking about Primble and his Cool Catts! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Peanut was with me

Andi, I'd forgotten how many splendid, classic, knife specimens you have! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My scratted TC accompanied me on all my errands today. I've probably mentioned this before, but Charlie and GEC knocked the ball out of the park on this one. It's a keeper, a user and a dream weaver!

Your scratted Ancient sure is a Textured Charmer, Dean! :thumbsup: Sometime this summer, I'd like to get an appropriate wooden knife and try my hand at some home-made scratting. :eek:

... Thanks as well Gary and I'm pleased you're using the Cadet.
I carried these two today. A Grohmann and a Premier Life Time that was made in Germany.

yjawoYSl.jpg

Ken K.
:thumbsup::):):thumbsup:

Thanks GT, I see you have the pockets full today looks like you have all the bases covered!
The 73 is my latest addition, finally tracked one down. Guess its time to update the sig line :)
Congrats on the new 73, pistons&gears!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: It's an absolute stunner! :cool:

BTW I want to say thanks again to r8shell for the imperial Barlow, as you can see I carry it quite a bit ( carried it for quite a stretch when I first got it ) and it's one of my favorites.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's an appealing little jack, Wilsonhome! :cool: Can you share some details, please? Is that a Remington tang stamp? Very attractive shield? What's the cover material?

- GT

[QUOTE="5K Qs, post: 17144451, member: 385663]
That's an appealing little jack, Wilsonhome! :cool: Can you share some details, please? Is that a Remington tang stamp? Very attractive shield? What's the cover material?

- GT[/QUOTE]

Glad to. It is a custom that Joe Allen made for me. Just a smidge bigger in all dimensions than my case peanuts. The tiniest bit thicker and maybe a quarter inch longer closed. It is covered in smooth mammoth with really great features and color. It is easily one of my favorites and I like it more every time I pick it up.

Back