What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Thanks for asking. It wasn't a custom, believe it or not this is actually an ironwood second. Something must have gone wrong during the final polish or in transit, as I believe it is the same knife shown in this production photo. It isn't marked as a second but was sold as one, it has a split in the wood on the mark side.

mbQffFr.jpg

Funny, that one caught my eye during production.
Opps! Youre right, its a Stockman. Sorry for the mistake. I already corrected it.

I'm more keen about the stag if it's genuine. As I bought it used cheap (US$10), I assume it's from China, but I'm okay with it. I'm also keen about what kind of stainless was used, I'm guessing 440A at best. And yes, the liners do look like brass. I do like the fact that the main blade is a lockback.

jki0pg.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase as this re-ignited my interest in traditional knives.

Thanks for the info, Dadpool :)

I really like that! I'd love to see GEC do something like this with a main locking blade and slippy secondaries. Case had a locking Whittler that I admire as well.

My lamb foot was getting jealous since I've been carrying one of my Davison's every day for a couple weeks or more. So, I had to switch it up.

2Ge9ASt.jpg

Great pic Alan :thumbsup:

That Doctor's is very elegant Jack. Nice and slim across the width.

Thank you my friend, it has a slim pocket profile :)

That doctors knife compliments the lambs foot beautifully Jack :thumbsup:

My Primble and a custom today from forum member Shaerk.

Thanks a lot Tom, smashing pair :thumbsup:

Sorry for the late reply Jack. Thanks, I didn't even know it was the centre until I got there.

Today.
7YDmZqB.jpg

LOL! :D Have a great weekend with your wonderful Lambsfoot my friend :thumbsup:

My lamb foot was getting jealous since I've been carrying one of my Davison's every day for a couple weeks or more. So, I had to switch it up.

2Ge9ASt.jpg
Just lovely. I'm more and more tempted by pictures of translucent horn scales. ;)

Thanks much my friends. The picture lost a bit of the burgundy, but not much. Micarta is interesting stuff. If I understand correctly, it's much like fiberglass, but with an organic woven mat instead of glass. I'll be paying more attention to it now.

Yes, it is interesting Tom :) I used to use a resin-bonded wood laminate. It was so tough, I had a chisel made out of it! :eek: :thumbsup:

Nice knives posted today everyone. A long day but a very nice arrival today. My second custom from Ian Vanreenen:thumbsup:

I was very pleased with my black Micarta Zulu so when I saw this style and color combo I was quick to act. The covers may not appeal to all but they're one of my favorite combos:thumbsup:
8ulqKe.jpg
Congratulations on that auspicious acquisition, Paul! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Tomato Acrylic

IMG_20141031_124759_2.jpg
Not a huge fan of fresh tomatoes, tomato juice, tomato soup, or even tomato sauce, but tomato acrylic looks brilliant on that knife, Dee! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Today I have my green USA Schrade 5OT and my camo Victroinox Spartan. The Spartan was a gift from Jake (supratentorial).

View attachment 737316
Couple of choice classics, Randy! :thumbsup::cool:

Sunny and over 100 degrees today, the beer scout may prove handy later this afternoon.

I look forward all year to summer, but triple-digit temps are a bit excessive! :eek::thumbsdown: Fortunately, you've got a delightful duo there, Tom, that are so hot they make the ambient temp feel cool by comparison! :thumbsup::cool::rolleyes:

View attachment 737381 Carrying my Boker Classic Barlow in bog oak. I absolutely love this knife!
That's an eye-catching, enchanting Böker Barlow, Fire Beard!! :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks a lot pal! :D We had a nice tour of the Castle Museum, and a tasty lunch (with a pint for me ;)), but it rained heavily most of the day, and as I was up at 5.30am to go to the market prior to setting out for York, I'm feeling pretty shattered. I think I'll be having an early night tonight! :) :thumbsup:
Sounds like a first-rate day trip, Jack. :thumbsup:

A new 66 - pretty one

0OE7vzT.jpg
Quite a grand and good-looking Calf Roper, Camillus!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

A very used and pocket worn (not all by me) ram's horn railsplitter today.

e5e57820-3a64-4c55-b97d-f8302bbf10df_zpsnrw5lepz.jpg~original

Handsome ram's horn on your rail splitter, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

50504fc9ecadae84466435935285af91--seinfeld-classy.jpg

:D :D

I've almost pulled the trigger on various Case stockmen several times. In addition to a punch, I also like a spey blade on a stockman, but as far as I know, in Case's medium-sized stockmen, both the spey and punch options are only available with rounded bolsters (which also happen to have the slimmer clip point I like less than the fuller standard clip). I even made a spreadsheet a while back. :rolleyes:

HnLPrkt.png

Have you taken a look at the Case Medium Jack? It's closer in size to the Texas Jack than it is the Peanut (Medium Jack: 3 3/8", Texas Jack: 3 5/8", Peanut: 2 7/8"), and it seems very similar to the Texas Jack in just about every way except the rounded bolsters.
You always identify the ideal image to illustrate a point, Barrett! :thumbsup::D I can't believe r8shell would accuse me of savagery when she apparently impales innocent grapes on her steel pike! :eek: She should know that will lead directly to the wrath of grapes!! :rolleyes::p

Barrett, I admire your spreadsheet for organizing/comparing features of stockman models! :cool: I hope you don't suffer the social stigma I sometimes feel when people scoff at my rotation schedule! :(:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info about the Case medium jack as a Texas Jack substitute. I like that medium jack (although I'm currently enamored with pen knife set-ups with a blade at each end), but there's something distinctive about the relatively broad pen blade on the Texas Jack, at least to me.

I think this one is the best of your RRs I've seen, Gary. Could be the great photography though. :)
I took these two on the trail today. First up, a Case Appaloosa Barlow that was a gift from Dee (GuestWho101). Thanks, Dee!

And second is my current EDC, the 2015 BladeForums CSC double-ended jack.

That's a jolly pair of hiking buddies you have, Dean! :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the high praise for my Rough Rider half-whittler! :) It's a very nice knife, but the bone is mismatched:
KHQnQ1Z.jpg

BwEiqfG.jpg

And I did manage to get some unusually good photos that particular day; I think the angle of the sun, the shade, and the position of the blue chaise lounge on the patio were a fortunate accident! ;) Here are 3 photos taken that day that would probably all be in my personal top ten list for knife pics I've taken:
mhR1ahj.jpg

YOhozpe.jpg

qAhiFcL.jpg

Recently bought this used Gerber Stag Stockman and am luvin it!
2qv9hqe.jpg
Kudos on that Gerber stockman, Titan; it's a real knockout!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I don't know anything about Gerber knives, but that one looks great to me, and the price can't be beat! :cool:

Yes & Yes. :)
You're 4 for 4. :cool:

Multiples & Photo Enhancement <--- Yes to both. :D

Three great companions. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dee, and thanks for putting up with my curiosity about your White Owl.

2Ge9ASt.jpg
Lovely, luminous lambsfoot, Alan! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Same stones, just dispersing them better perhaps :). That is a cool sodbuster, love the bail on it. :thumbsup: (nice wordsmithing too on your "MORAtorium" sir)
Thanks, Tom. :) Another magnificent pair of the day for you!! :cool::thumbsup:

Today.
7YDmZqB.jpg
Nifty pic of a notable knife, donn! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

My current weekly schedule has me carrying a stag or horn knife each week. This week that knife is my Big Knife of the Week, a Marbles hawkbill pruner with ram's horn handle.
Jk382jA.jpg

As always, I'm carrying this small Rough Rider stockman that helps me keep my vocation and my avocation integrated and balanced (thanks, r8shell). (I rarely mention it, but I carry the whittled coin every day in my knife wallet - thanks, Greg!)
VMf4v74.jpg

- GT

Stunning knives gentlemen :thumbsup::thumbsup: Examples of scales (or covers? :)) that I wish my favourite Sheffield cutlers offered more of.

Thanks a lot pal, Worth Valley Steam Railway I think :thumbsup:
Really? That's a coincidence because I was thinking of the East Lancs Railway.
http://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/

Nifty pic of a notable knife, donn! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

My current weekly schedule has me carrying a stag or horn knife each week. This week that knife is my Big Knife of the Week, a Marbles hawkbill pruner with ram's horn handle.
Jk382jA.jpg

Thanks 5K. May I say that's a fantastic pruner sir. That rams horn looks a lot different than the rams horn that I've seen previously...I think posted by Mr Black? Anyway, a fine looking monster of a knife :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's a jolly pair of hiking buddies you have, Dean! :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the high praise for my Rough Rider half-whittler! :) It's a very nice knife, but the bone is mismatched:
BwEiqfG.jpg

- GT

Thanks, Gary. That RR is still my favorite even if the sides are mismatched. You can only see one side at a time (unless you admire your knife in the mirror, but who does that!?).

Back