What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

A GEC #23 in 440C.

100_3170.jpg
Frank, very nice! I have a high regard for well-done 440C. I wasn't aware that GEC used anything other than 1095. Can you give me some more info on their use of SS?

GT, your SAK is surely standing tall; le Douk-Douk however is doing quite the head-stand.:D

The two latest additions to my slipjoint collection. The Trestle Pine Topper still needs a better edge but it's already a great EDC knife.

Frank, I'd not heard of the Trestle Pines name before your review. It is quite good looking (as is the basket of fish and chips). Is the other blade a bottle opener/slot screwdriver?

I got back last night, just posted a few pics in the Lounge, but it's going to take me a while to catch up :thumbsup:
And here I'd thought you had figured out the intricacies of phone-posting.;):D Good to see that Real Lambfoot.

Tom's choice of knife today is... a Tom's Choice!:p
IMG_20170820_151552395-2-1632x1224.jpg

Today, I'm carrying a different Ettrick (Catonsville Pocket & Pen Knife Co.) and the Frontier shadow.

View attachment 752859

Interesting Ettrick r8shell :thumbsup:

And here I'd thought you had figured out the intricacies of phone-posting.;):D Good to see that Real Lambfoot.

Tom's choice of knife today is... a Tom's Choice!:p
View attachment 752901

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that Tom! :D Not a chance I'm afraid! :D Thank you my friend, lovely TC :) :thumbsup:

Heading out of town for the day 'early doors' tomorrow, with my mate and his three kids. Unlikely I'll have time to post in the morning, and I will, no doubt, be exhausted on my return! :eek: Going to be carrying these three :thumbsup:

Unity Lambsfoot

Ulster Scout

Squirrel

Recycled photo, but today is church day so the ivory Davison coming along. I'll prolly bring the black Enzo also. I think it's my turn to man the grill and it'll be an good sausage slicer. (I am a greeter to make myself be more socialiable, and we have sausage and donuts for first time visitor, although kids eat most of the donuts and we eat most of the sausage lol)

nkLgIZN.jpg

Joey that Davison is stunning.

Smooth Ivory bone with a smokey gray patina
View attachment 752952

Travman that Smooth Ivory Bone just cost me money because I either have to find one for sale or send a 14 to Glennbad with some money to mod one for me. It's beautiful and I am in love. Is it a 14 or 15 my guess is 14 but it's hard to tell the difference in a picture.

Frank, very nice! I have a high regard for well-done 440C. I wasn't aware that GEC used anything other than 1095. Can you give me some more info on their use of SS?

GEC has made some knives in 440C. Always marked as GEC instead of Tidioute or Northfield. They've also made a fishing knife in 420HC. And if memory serves they made a special run in CPM S90V for Knives Ship Free a few years ago. Aside from that, they do non-stainless. Mostly 1095.

They have not made many runs in 440C and the runs weren't all that large. The fit and finish is what one would expect of GEC. The blade geometry is also good. (One of my beefs with Queen is that their blades are so blobby and are thick at the edge. Makes them hard to sharpen and when you do they still don't slice all that well. This GEC has great blade geometry.)

The 23 was a gift from a friend. It was one of the early runs from something like 2007 or 2008. It is a walloping lot of knife. I don't know what the hardness is, but it sharpens similar to some 440C knives I have that are ~58 HRC.)

Frank, I'd not heard of the Trestle Pines name before your review. It is quite good looking (as is the basket of fish and chips). Is the other blade a bottle opener/slot screwdriver?
Yes, it's a bottle opener with pry tip/screwdriver. The Topper is the 4th folder from the Trestle Pine series. The TPs are a brand made exclusively by Queen Cutlery for Greg Holmes from TSA Knife Shop (similar to the Northwoods knives made by GEC for KSF). The main idea behind the brand is to combine traditional patterns with premium stainless steel to create knives that are meant to be used and abused. The TP Superior has been the knife I have probably carried the most over the past two years!

Carrying this little ebony GEC 14 on a 3-day weekend getaway to watch the eclipse in South Carolina.

MSqvb47.jpg

Love those little 14's...the eclipse will be about 98% in my backyard. Have to move about four miles NE for the full 100%.

Love those little 14's...the eclipse will be about 98% in my backyard. Have to move about four miles NE for the full 100%.
Do it! Look for the "shadow bands." https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/exploring-shadow-bands
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/exploring-shadow-bands
It will only be at about 75% here, but I'll go outside and look. I don't trust those 'eclipse viewing glasses', so I'm going to punch a little hole in a piece of cardboard to do a pinhole projection on a piece of paper.

I think I have a knife that will help with that. :)#35 Forum Knife (3) resized .jpg

I find that the CPPKC Ettrick that I have has proved to be quite a good knife indeed! I have given several as gifts (they offered a quantity discount at the time), and each one that I have handled has been well made. The curved handle sure is easy on the hand, as well as in the pocket. Certainly one of my favorites to carry.
Thanks to Bartleby and R8shell for pointing me to CPPKC. I live about an hour away from their store and I just duct-taped my wallet.

Back