What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Intriguing Portuguese knife, donn!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: And the ale looks interesting, too; having a little hair of the cat that bit you?? ;):p

My Euro Knife of the Week is my first Opinel, a #6 that I ended up modifying more than I intended to :rolleyes::
bcugX4K.jpg

Cheers 5K. I do like what you and others do with Opinels. I keep meaning to pick up a couple and experiment.
Old Tom is brewed by Robinsons Brewery; a nice ale though they've watered it down over the years. It wasn't so much hair of the cat more like spooling myself up for a trawl around the pubs of Derby :thumbsup:

MrPy4pv.jpg

Don't know why I had 4 knives in my pocket today but I did. The Case just came in the mailbox this morning so that's why it was in there.

9eBXEun.jpg

Nice selection of knives, Randy! I often wonder myself when I discover that I have 3 or 5 knives on my person at times :D. Sometimes it is just hard to leave some behind for the day...

The Wrangler today.

f4DEV0.jpg

I forgot to comment on this knife when you first introduced us to it. Beautiful knife and that stag is excellent!

Have a good Friday folks, the weekend is nearly here :) :thumbsup:

Nice duo today, Jack! I love that ebony and that Uncle Henry is certainly no slouch, I know I enjoy mine.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :) Case Red Bones getting some attention today! :D
33276909680_e255b0a86f_b_d.jpg

Case at their absolute finest! It is really hard to turn away from their Red Bone, just simply wonderful.

I am carrying these two today, I really do love that beautiful smooth ebony.

iuaIqSm.jpg

Case Barehead Jack today

F09dqo6h.jpg
Barehead Jack since Tuesday
in4c49y.jpg
Steve and Rob, those are a couple of wondrous barreled jacks! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Fine knives with fine stories, Harry. Barlows and Case Barlows, particularly for me, carry a special appeal. This Case 009 from 1974 is the first knife given to me by my stepfather who got me into knife collecting (I already liked knives, but only as tools). He thought the one-armed man blade was unique and loved explaining its utility. He's gone, but stays with me every time I hold the knife.

IytoGJ1.jpg

- Stuart
5K Qs 5K Qs Thank you for the kind comments. Yes, I do have a few knives, old and new, slipjoints and others. I was lucky to have a loving stepfather who shared with me, among other interests, his hobby of knife collecting. When he passed in 2012, he shared his knives. As their custodian, I am trying to catch up on their pedigree (though their provenance is mostly forgotten). I am very grateful for the education and insight that I have gained from this forum and its delightful denizens.

Today, I'm carrying this Queen model 31 (1961-1971) which rides very well in the pocket.

EAxEb4c.jpg

Most of my day today will be spent packing for an annual pheasant hunting trip in South Dakota this weekend. This will be the 14th consecutive trip for several buddies and me. My utilitarian selections for EDC in the field are: Case Sodbuster Jr., Gerber Gator, Grohmann DH Russell #3s, and Gerber field shears (which I'll probably leave back at the farmhouse).
I will be back on Tuesday, God willing and the creek don't rise.
- Stuart
Thanks for sharing the moving story about your stepfather's influence on your current knife collection! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Both the Case one-arm Barlow and the Queen double-end are fine representatives of your vintage holdings! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I especially like the blade combo on the Queen.
I hope you have a safe, enjoyable, and productive hunting trip to SD!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs
Thanks Gary. The Churchill Yellow Rose is out for delivery. Very happy about the Yankees but I'm way too superstitious to start celebrating.
I'm not superstitious except for baseball. :rolleyes: For years, I've had a framed 22"x28" "photo-poster" of Wrigley Field hanging on the wall at the back of my desk/work surface. I left my office in the middle of the day yesterday, and returned 2 hours later to find that it had crashed down onto my desk, landing on a variety of family photos, old sports trophies, and my laptop! Apparently no damage to anything, but I was not surprised in the least that the Cubs were crushed 11-1 last night to end their 2017 hopes. :(

Thank you my friend, an eclectic selection of customised folders there :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

Heading out to a nice local Mexican restaurant for dinner, so decided to slip this in my pocket - just in case they don't have a bottle-opener! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Looks like a solid, distinguished knife. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I was killing time between 2 school visits a couple of days ago, walking around a "shopping mall" that has almost died. But there was a Mexican restaurant there that I hadn't seen before, so I decided to eat lunch there. Very good but a little pricey, and very fast service since there were few other customers.

Have a good Friday folks, the weekend is nearly here :) :thumbsup:

I always admire the ebony lambsfoot, but I don't remember seeing your Uncle Henry stockman before - I think that's a lovely knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs - There were not any four legged companions in that picture. There is a sign along the trail which is what you might be seeing. My dogs never stay still, so if they happen to be in the picture it is just luck.
View attachment 783427
Thanks for giving me the facts, sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup: My wife claims I'm always "seeing things", and this is just one more example! :rolleyes:

Thanks Gary! I always love seeing that one of a kind 2014 Forum Jack! :thumbsup:

Today I am toting some Sheffield Stag! :D
37029672353_4c76d46be7_b.jpg
Thanks, Ron. :) Your stag lambsfoot is superb! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Blue jeans weather is back and so is my Presidential in my pocket.

Great to see the Presidential again, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I recently told Dylan that I thought maybe I now preferred his ebony Churchill to an ebony Presidential, but having seen photos of both recently, it's a genuine toss-up; this is a case where the typical BF advice "get both" actually makes sense! :rolleyes::D

Thank you, GT! I will certainly try not to disappoint then, the Churchill is turning into a fine knife and is also quite photogenic, :D. I have to say though, whenever that Northwoods Presidential in Ebony pops up, I have to do a double take and catch my breath, it is a stunning knife and probably one of the very few Northwoods knives that have truly caught my fancy.

I can honestly say that Lady Leg or French Kate knives have never once held any appeal for me :D. However, I must comment on that beautiful skrimshaw, it completely transforms the knife. There is little wonder as to why you prize it so.
I have set aside the Churchill briefly today and replaced it with a very special Lambsfoot. As you can see, we are getting some fall rain...

gw565jb.jpg
What a fine picture of two fantastic folders, Dylan! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for your comments on Churchill vs Presidential, and thanks for the kind words about my Lady Leg. :thumbsup:

Pretty, as a picture! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Nicely accessorized, Dee! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've been carrying this SAK sent me by Always Tomboy, pursuant to our discussion of SAK repair/modification.
(The Churchill arrived today; I think I'll keep it.)
KrKpiqF.jpg
Congrats on a couple of fine recent acquisitions, Jer!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (If you had a green-handled knife, you could make a cutlery traffic signal! :rolleyes:)

Yowza!! How old is that ravishing Russell Barlow, Corn Fed? :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

Don't know why I had 4 knives in my pocket today but I did. The Case just came in the mailbox this morning so that's why it was in there.

9eBXEun.jpg
Quality quartet, Randy! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (That's how it starts: 2 knives one day, 4 a couple of weeks later, pretty soon you'll have a couple of knife rolls strapped to your back!! :eek::p:D As you know, I speak from experience! ;))

The Wrangler today.

f4DEV0.jpg
Looks even better than the first day, Paul!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

In my watch pocket I have a Taylor-Imperial cracked ice mini canoe:
RYqIgee.jpg

My K.N.I.F.E. knife of the Week is an inadvertent repeat from a couple of weeks ago, a Rough Rider improved muskrat:
rFYZHlw.jpg

- GT

Today, I'm carrying this handmade Portuguese knife in stag. is small with 3 " in length.
I also post my favorite three Portuguese!!!

23sg2fn.jpg
2lk4p3r.jpg
244wi6w.jpg
5z05mq.jpg
2a0ksgl.jpg

I love the look of those knives :) :thumbsup:

Just been for a x-ray of my jaw, I have suspected wisdom teeth issues.

Unbeknownst to me I dropped my recently gifted A.Wright & Son Ltd. Lambsfoot on the waiting room chair!

Some very kind gentleman had noticed it though. He waited for my x-ray to finish, so he could return it to me.

I tried to thank him with a small token of my appreciation, but he refused saying "It was a pleasure to find (and return) it". He had admired it during his short wait.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face sir!

View attachment 783959

A narrow miss Scruff, but what a great pic! :) Well-held that gentleman! :) :thumbsup:

Nice duo today, Jack! I love that ebony and that Uncle Henry is certainly no slouch, I know I enjoy mine.

Case at their absolute finest! It is really hard to turn away from their Red Bone, just simply wonderful.

iuaIqSm.jpg

Thanks a lot Dylan, I have Randy to thank for the Uncle Henry :) Great ebony duo my friend :thumbsup:

I always admire the ebony lambsfoot, but I don't remember seeing your Uncle Henry stockman before - I think that's a lovely knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

RYqIgee.jpg

Thanks a lot GT, it's always nice to see your Imperial Canoe :) :thumbsup:

iuaIqSm.jpg

Thank you Dylan! The older Case Red Bone was definitely in a class of its own! I agree it is hard to get better than some good dark smooth Ebony! Two nice examples. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Ron. :) Your stag lambsfoot is superb! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you kind sir! :)

The Outlaw is helping me to make some jam.

The 76 Outlaw Jack is a great knife and this is a terrific photo! It wouldn’t make me a bit mad if they would make a run of these! :thumbsup:

Great to see the Presidential again, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I recently told Dylan that I thought maybe I now preferred his ebony Churchill to an ebony Presidential, but having seen photos of both recently, it's a genuine toss-up; this is a case where the typical BF advice "get both" actually makes sense! :rolleyes::D

rFYZHlw.jpg

- GT

Thanks, Gary@ I understand the quandary. You have a gorgeous improved muskrat. :thumbsup:

I love the look of those knives :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, me too. It is good to know that others also like our things (Portuguese knives), since I have been collecting from other countries (USA, Switzerland, Germany, etc ...) and only now I have discovered that we also have acceptable knives. Mr. Jack also has extraordinary knives, especially Sheffiel's Lamb Foot, which is on the list of a next acquisition!!!

Thanks, me too. It is good to know that others also like our things (Portuguese knives), since I have been collecting from other countries (USA, Switzerland, Germany, etc ...) and only now I have discovered that we also have acceptable knives. Mr. Jack also has extraordinary knives, especially Sheffiel's Lamb Foot, which is on the list of a next acquisition!!!

Thank you :) :thumbsup:

Did you check around to make sure there were no billy goats banging around?
I've got my stag 83 with me again. Practical knife with beautiful stag.

It's all right Mr. Alan, I also have three (two in stag) that I really like.
The big problem is that we can not walk with them all at the same time and managing all these beautiful knives is very complicated, I think you understand me, because I wanted to have them every day with me!!!

Back