What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Ohio requieres the straight cartridge caliber for centerfire use right? I have a Marlin in 444. That my dad wants to use for his place.

The #73 linerlock is an excellent choice!
View attachment 806481

View attachment 806485
Yes, here in Ohio we can only use straight wall cartridges in rifles. My nephew picked up one of the Marlin 45-70's to use this year.
It looks like your 73 has a nice carry color to that stag. Mine does have some patina to the stag but not nearly as nice as yours yet. It is getting a lot of pocket time lately though.
Is that the golden boy 22? I have a silverboy 22 that I still need to get out for its first shooting session.
Burnt Stag

Right now I have a 15 Harness Jack and Schrade-Walden 219 as a secondary in my pockets. Tomorrow I plan on switching it up by carrying my Indian Head C Risner for the first time, along with the SW 219:

Indian Head C Risner (I've had this for a year and a half and not carried yet):

Schrade-Walden 219
(seller's pic, I still need to get my own):

For a rainy day...

5ECD766A-DF37-428B-A0B4-CFB1395D4776_zpstmb0q9tb.jpg
I carried the same knife I old barn wood

Well, originally writing this post after midnight was less than ideal, since I usually go to bed about 9pm! :rolleyes: Trying to fix up what I can this morning.
View attachment 806152 I’m carrying this 2015 stag 77 with a clip blade. Almost through with the work week, have a great day guys!
That's A-1 stag on your Northfield Barlow, JB! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

https://instagram.com/p/BcHq1UtACjI/

Perceval Le Francais in juniper with a hummingbird acrylic gec#35 Churchill perched beneath
That deserves to be an acclaimed pair, JTB!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Does the French knife have a liner lock?

Four aces wins the pot, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I liked your picture initially, but the more I looked at it, the more I found to like about it! The camo covers on the SAK are admirable and advantageous :cool::thumbsup:; what model Wenger is that? The arrowhead is aged, adorable and alluring :thumbsup::cool: (and I didn't even notice it until about my third look at the photo :rolleyes:). The Case trapper was appealing, as trappers usually are, but then I noticed the serrated spey blade, and that was definitely an arresting feature! :cool::cool::thumbsup: And the Old Timer is auspicious, although I don't recognize the model! :cool::thumbsup:

Camco Barlow today

SXJdR4U.jpg
Amazing antique Barlow, Steve! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Very artistic pic of a cup full of astonishing stuff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Alan, I'm glad you recently realized our knives can be our companions, but I'm glad you still treat them as photo models as well! :D

Astounding, Jake!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Sometimes we DO get what we pay for!! ;)

...Thanks pal! :D You've inspired me to pocket my own Gunboat today (thanks Jer :) ) :thumbsup: Also carrying my Guardians Lambsfoot ;) :thumbsup:

Not often I'm accused of being an inspiration, Jack; thanks! ;):thumbsup:

Falling_rain, that's an awesome pic :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but both the knife and the rodent challenge my identification/recognition skills! :oops: What are they?? :confused:

Man, that hair would make a few of these Dallas Hipsters around here super jealous. :) At least the poor fella isn't crammed into tiny pants!
:D:D:D Awe-inspiring ivory Esnyx 15, J_Curd!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hangin with Bob today. A 2014 HJ I bought from Bob a couple of years ago:thumbsup:
010V9J.jpg
:thumbsup::cool: Very nice, Paul; that's a beaut!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (Are you doing something differently with the way you post photos lately? I've never had difficulty with your photos in the past, but lately, I see blue squares with question mark inside instead of your photos, at least for a while. Eventually the actual pics show up, as above, but it's like I now have a waiting period before I can see your pics! :thumbsdown::confused::D

72 helping me trim tape and Fiberglass today. Gotta build up the corners to fit right against the body.
View attachment 806243
Beauteous pic of that bad boy in action, SVT!! Working' hard and lookin' good (especially with that braided leather lanyard)! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

On a different note, I really wish I had a brick and mortar Tobacconist that was local to where I am at, it seems such places are going by the wayside... I have to order my favorite blends online usually, which is usually no trouble but I would still prefer to go to a shop.
I am carrying these knives today. I might have to switch things up a bit soon, seems I've been carrying similar knives for awhile now...

OBgVKoD.jpg
Dylan, "favorite blends online" is such a different experience from when I smoked a pipe for a while back in the early 1970s! ;):eek: I would just pick up a pouch of Borkum Riff at the grocery store or gas station, or maybe if I was going to roll some pipe tobacco in cigarette papers, I'd get a tin of Flying Dutchman in almost as many local outlets! :rolleyes:

Switch knives if you must, but change just for the sake of change is overrated!

I'm going to have a go with this one today:cool: I like the 83 pattern a lot.
IMG_3500.jpg~original
Thank you Dylan, I got extraordinarily lucky with that 83 both sides are great. When people say a knife is too pretty to use, I can't understand their angleo_O If you are lucky enough to have a beautiful knife that you can use, then use on, and beauty comes in many forms. That 83 dropped out of the heavens though:D

Some very smooth attractive horn on that Wright, great item:thumbsup:

Regards, Will
Have my 83's in my pocket today . First time in a while .

Harry
Will and Harry, those are beguiling stag #83s, some of the very best!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: You gentlemen won the 83 stag lottery, I think! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::p

Thanks GT! I rearrange them depending on the handle shapes so they lay flat for the photo, which is the most difficult part of the process :). Love the fob on the modded Opinel :thumbsup:
I want the blade on this sodbuster to dull so I can sharpen it, but it is not cooperating :). I probably need to subject it to more rigorous duty.

Thanks for the photo set-up info and the compliment, Tom. :) You're doing a big-league, boss job of "selling" that Maserin Plow! ;) Although my wife doesn't know it yet, she may be getting me one for Christmas! :thumbsup::D Your photo today is bewitching in its beautiosity! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: The bocote on the rocks looks good with anything else you throw in there, but in my opinion, your ebony BSK is about the most photogenic knife you show us!! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Miscellaneous Knife for me this week is a Keen Kutter Office Knife (thanks, Mark):
BJjCiCk.jpg

Big Knife (and horn/stag knife) this week is a Colt stag copperlock:
d4zWDzF.jpg

Watch pocket knife this week is a Robt Klaas mini canoe:
mhR1ahj.jpg

- GT

Last edited:
Thanks GT!

The rodent is my son's brown hair guinea pig, long hair one, and the knife is GEC #54 Big Moose, natural stag.

Falling_rain, that's an awesome pic :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but both the knife and the rodent challenge my identification/recognition skills! :oops: What are they?? :confused:

I think today I will go for one of my old German ones from Solingen.
It´s a Gottlieb Hammesfahr represending the typical style of the german pocketknife with a mainblade, a penblade and a corcscrew. Every german knifemaker has countless varieties of this in his portfolio. The company of Gottlieb Hammesfahr itself was in business until 1972, it was established in 1875 but the family seems to be in business since 1684.
Sadly you can hardly find any informations about these knives without having old catalogues from different ages.
I assume this one is from the 1950s, maybe older, maybe younger. It has the typical carbon steel, maybe C75. It also has wooden handle covers, very dark, I think it´s ebony wood
And yes, I´ve restored it, took all the patina away to put on my own, so the blaming may start ;)
dscf1308.jpg

Last edited:
5K Qs 5K Qs The French knife does have a liner lock and a very smooth open with a satisfying snap at lockup (great detent at close as well)

Beautiful composition, and a stunning knife, Alan :thumbsup:

Not a very good pic of my Barlow but Imgur isn't playing.
IxbHhIz.jpg

I was struggling to find the knife on my phone last night! :D scenic shot though Donn :thumbsup:

Terrific trio Dylan :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, nice pairing yourself sir :thumbsup:

Thanks Tom, that is a particularly attractive Beer Scout :thumbsup:

Not often I'm accused of being an inspiration, Jack; thanks! ;):thumbsup:

:D:D:D Awe-inspiring ivory Esnyx 15, J_Curd!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::cool: Very nice, Paul; that's a beaut!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (Are you doing something differently with the way you post photos lately? I've never had difficulty with your photos in the past, but lately, I see blue squares with question mark inside instead of your photos, at least for a while. Eventually the actual pics show up, as above, but it's like I now have a waiting period before I can see your pics! :thumbsdown::confused::D

Beauteous pic of that bad boy in action, SVT!! Working' hard and lookin' good (especially with that braided leather lanyard)! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Dylan, "favorite blends online" is such a different experience from when I smoked a pipe for a while back in the early 1970s! ;):eek: I would just pick up a pouch of Borkum Riff at the grocery store or gas station, or maybe if I was going to roll some pipe tobacco in cigarette papers, I'd get a tin of Flying Dutchman in almost as many local outlets! :rolleyes:

Switch knives if you must, but change just for the sake of change is overrated!

Will and Harry, those are beguiling stag #83s, some of the very best!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: You gentlemen won the 83 stag lottery, I think! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::p

Thanks for the photo set-up info and the compliment, Tom. :) You're doing a big-league, boss job of "selling" that Maserin Plow! ;) Although my wife doesn't know it yet, she may be getting me one for Christmas! :thumbsup::D Your photo today is bewitching in its beautiosity! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: The bocote on the rocks looks good with anything else you throw in there, but in my opinion, your ebony BSK is about the most photogenic knife you show us!! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Miscellaneous Knife for me this week is a Keen Kutter Office Knife (thanks, Mark):
BJjCiCk.jpg

Big Knife (and horn/stag knife) this week is a Colt stag copperlock:
d4zWDzF.jpg

Watch pocket knife this week is a Robt Klaas mini canoe:
mhR1ahj.jpg

- GT

LOL! :D Smashing threesome GT, but I have always thought your Office Knife stands out :thumbsup:

I'm carrying my ebony Lambsfoot today, together with a Harrison Fisher Crown Penknife that I started the week with, like this one :) Hope everyone has a good Friday, and an even better weekend :thumbsup:

Hey, thank you Planterz Planterz !

Sure. If you use Firefox, right click the background of a webpage, select "View Page Info", change to the "Media" tab, and it'll list all the images (with a handy thumbnail). Then you can find your pic's actual url and imbed it here with the tag. This works on a lot of websites that don't allow you to simply right-click the pic to copy the url. I don't know how it works with other browsers, but I assume they have something similar.

That little guy is a Schrade 12OT peanut.

I like my new/old USA 12OT. The long pull sets it apart from other peanuts. Speaking of which, I asked you about the Remington peanut in the Cult thread, but I don't think you saw it. I've been looking at picking one up, and you're the only one I've seen that has one. How do you like it? How's the F&F, W&T, etc?

Planterz,
Sorry I missed your question.

Re: the Rem peanut- I do like it. The snap is positive and firm, but easy, and the w&t quite pleasant- no grit,grinding,etc.

I think it was uncarried/unused although it was sold as used.

Thanks Jeff. Single-blade peanuts are hard to find.

Back