What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

For Wooden Wednesday I've got the curly zebrawood gunstock again.

7mdSF8J.jpg

For Wooden Wednesday, I'm totin' a couple of older fellas. A New York Knife Co. Hammer Brand pruner. So appropriate that a pruner bears a shield for a fertilizer company. I date this knife at 1890-1921 (1890 was when the guano company was founded in Hawaii and 1932 was the end of the NYKC Hammer line).

JZOFF8L.jpg

7B4FePf.jpg

hhjI2rK.jpg

This Empire bare end jack (1856-1930, Winstead, CT) comes with an extra pin hole at no extra cost.

tzYGZog.jpg

ayEYmYr.jpg

My non-wooden carry for today is a Camillus EO jack (4 line on main blade only, 1941-1946).

vPkaVbW.jpg

qJ6bMGV.jpg

M7yBL1q.jpg

After I posted this picture, @leghog suggested to me that the brass nub at the butt end is the remnant of a filed-off brass bail, which with the steel liners/pins indicates that this is a mid-WWII issue USN jackknife.
- Stuart

Last edited:
You have a great collection Stuart. Very unique and nice pieces.
Thanks, Jake. I've been very lucky in life. Except the Hammer pruner took umbrage at a perceived slight from my comment about guano and its shield, as it just bit me. After I posted the pics, my wife asked for some help with putting up pine roping and boxwood "accents" around our exterior doors. I was used to my not-as-sharp Sabre pruner and was moving quite swiftly until I saw blood. A minor cut and I used two of the Band Aids that I carried with that 12 blade Fightin' Rooster a day ago. Lesson learned - no more guano jokes.
- Stuart

Happy belated birthday, 5K Qs 5K Qs !

For Wooden Wednesday, I'm totin' a couple of older fellas. A New York Knife Co. Hammer Brand pruner. So appropriate that a pruner bears a shield for a fertilizer company. I date this knife at 1890-1921 (1890 was when the guano company was founded in Hawaii and 1932 was the end of the NYKC Hammer line).

JZOFF8L.jpg

Lesson learned - no more guano jokes.
- Stuart
:p Guano is no laughing matter, neither is that beautiful knife!

I'm still not tired of my pocketworn Böker, plus a rough black Camillus.
Camillus pen rough black Boker & co_001.jpg

You know, when cars and trucks become self driving, country songs can include your truck leaving you too!

Helping a friend swap his 350 hp 350 for a 455 hp 383 in his 66 Chevy truck. So g10 it is to resist the oil and grease.
View attachment 816321
Country songs just keep getting better! :D:D
Impressive pair of work knives! :cool::thumbsup: About 5 years ago, I had 3 vehicles (still have 2 of them) and I'll bet their combined horsepower was less than 350! :rolleyes:

Another two TEW's Tuesday :

Harry
I'm a huge fan of Stag Saturday, but I look forward to Two TEWs Tuesday too, Harry!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Stopped in for a few minutes to see what you guys have been up to and to wish you all a very merry Christmas ! I am toting this ole knife today:
33bfrjo.jpg
Good to see you here, Rob! At first, I thought an old guy stopping by around the holidays must be Santa Claus. :D Just like old times with you posting a pic of a vivacious vintage Barlow! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Happy Christmas and a Blessed 2018 to you, sir! :)

Zebra and ebony wood today.
Wowed by your wondrous Wednesday wood, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The black BSK is still magic! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Captivating Camco, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Everywhere I go
Worn into my soul
Memories of yesterday
Pocketed away

27400146129_74a8ebfcd4_b.jpg
That evokes some serious nostalgia, Gev!! Great knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really admire the design & skill of a Splitback Whittler . Today I am carrying a Robeson and a wooden covered for Wednesday Boker .
Harry
Striking pair, Harry! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: The Pocket Eze is awesome!

JZOFF8L.jpg

This Empire bare end jack (1856-1930, Winstead, CT) comes with an extra pin hole at no extra cost.

tzYGZog.jpg

My non-wooden carry for today is a Camillus EO jack (4 line on main blade only, 1941-1946).
qJ6bMGV.jpg

- Stuart
3 intriguing (to me) knives, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Inspired by your pruner, I think I finally learned the difference between the Hammer Brand stamps of NYKC and Imperial! :thumbsup:;) Did the pruner blade start as a hawkbill? The guano-related shield is also a first for me!! :thumbsup::D Your Empire jack with its extra hole is mysterious; any chance someone could have tried to add a bail at some point? Your Camillus is intriguing to me just because I'm a sucker for teardrop EO jacks with endcap; sumptuous bone! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy belated birthday, 5K Qs 5K Qs !
I'm still not tired of my pocketworn Böker, plus a rough black Camillus.
View attachment 816751
Thanks, Rachel. :)
Dandy duo for you today! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm not tired of your literally-pocketworn Böker, either. :cool::thumbsup:;) Is the Camillus a whittler?

My Stockman of the Week is an Imperial Ireland liners model (thanks, Dave):
n78vvRe.jpg

(I really enjoy its molded plastic "shield"
U7rQoGc.jpg
)

My Canoe of the Week is a Rough Rider with "Moon Glow" covers:
pmRcX9J.jpg

I also have a "Canoe of the Season" that's not on my rotation schedule, but I feel compelled to carry it this week and next. It's a RR Christmas canoe:
X2SyafG.jpg

- GT

Back