What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

We took a trip down I75 after lunch today. My wife wanted to go to Barnes and Noble. On the way back home it was coming some terrible storms so we decided to come home on the old road. We dodged tree limbs and debris all the way home. We stopped and bought a few groceries and when we finally turned down our street we started noticing all the limbs and debris laying in all the neighbors yards. As we drove in front of our house we looked over to find our White Pine tree had blown over across the front yard. :( It shattered right above the base. I planted this tree roughly 40 years ago. The limbs were approximately 30 feet in diameter at the base and it was probably nearly 80 feet tall. I’m lucky it didn’t hit the house or anything else. If it had blown the other direction it could have hit the neighbors house. During all of this I had my 35 Churchill Cull Sambar Stag in my pocket. :D

42922800642_3c6a99a748_b_d.jpg

42922800862_6c1e1a23fe_b_d.jpg

We took a trip down I75 after lunch today. My wife wanted to go to Barnes and Noble. On the way back home it was coming some terrible storms so we decided to come home on the old road. We dodged tree limbs and debris all the way home. We stopped and bought a few groceries and when we finally turned down our street we started noticing all the limbs and debris laying in all the neighbors yards. As we drove in front of our house we looked over to find our White Pine tree had blown over across the front yard. :( It shattered right above the base. I planted this tree roughly 40 years ago. The limbs were approximately 30 feet in diameter at the base and it was probably nearly 80 feet tall. I’m lucky it didn’t hit the house or anything else. If it had blown the other direction it could have hit the neighbors house. During all of this I had my 35 Churchill Cull Sambar Stag in my pocket. :D

So sorry to hear your tree is gone, Ron !! So sad and you planted it...man. I am glad it did not damage the house. Be super careful on the removal as it can be dangerous in many ways. Again, so sorry my friend.

William Henry Wragg was born around 1831, but didn't set up shop until 1871. Between 1873 and 1894, he was based at Cambridge Street Horn Works in the centre of Sheffield, making sportsman's knives, folding hunting knives, and Bowies. Wragg was very highly regarded as a cutler. By 1881, he employed seven men and two boys. His sons Frederick and William Henry also worked as cutlers, and continued the business after their father died in 1886. William Henry Wragg Jnr was based at Congo Works, Trippet Lane (photo below). The third generation of Wragg cutlers continued the business into the interwar period, with Frederick's son, also William Henry heading up the firm. William Henry's son, Eric M. Wragg (1920-1994), also went into the trade, and after World War 2, he worked with his father in a workshop at 100 Rockingham Street, which they rented from William Morton & Sons. They operated as 'Little Mesters', jobbing cutlers making knives for local shops and companies such as Joseph Elliot, John Petty, TEW, and Morton's, as well as high-end London retailers, and American customers. When William Henry died in 1955, Eric took over the business, retiring in 1985.

Nice knife Stuart :thumbsup:

View attachment 931123

Edit - Just adding a pic of Eric Wragg from 1975. At this time he was based on West Street , Sheffield, (above Morton's cutlery showroom, 100-104, which I have posted about before), and I remember looking into his workshop as a teenager. Stan Shaw used to do some work for him, working for a couple of hours after he clocked-off at Ibberson's :thumbsup:

u04082.jpg
1`Gee, I hope that Bowie is big enough.

jwb01 jwb01 Very nice picture, fine cigar, and I really like tha river rock "worry stone". Knife is in good company.
RDaneel RDaneel That's a nice picture of a fine stockman, Dean.
Half/Stop Half/Stop Sorry about your pine, Ron. 40 year is young/adulthood, so an untimely loss. Did you cut up the lower limbs with your #35 like a REAL MAN? Or were you more like me and lovingly look at your #35 (Case #11 in my case) while calling buddies to help cut and haul?
- Stuart

Last edited:
Ron, oddly enough we've had some ferocious storms these past two days as well.

Regret to hear about your tree, OK it caused no harm but it's always a sad thing to lose trees.

When my parents died, I planted trees in their honour as they were cremated and have no gravestones. It is a fine thing to see trees growing and you make the world better and remember those who are no longer here. You'd better get planting a replacement or two:thumbsup:

That Churchill must be your lucky carry knife it seems:cool: Great looker too:)

Regards, Will

I am sure glad you have somebody very special watching out for you & Pam my friend . BTW ; Nice knife !!!

Harry

Back