What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Thanks, Stewart. :) Glad my humble sowbelly could inspire you to show us that wonderful Winchester interpretation of the pattern!! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Alox Knife of the Week is a Vic Pruner (thanks, Ken):

Thanks, GT. That fine looking pruner would make a great cigar trimmer. Gotta find one.

These today, I love living in a place where you can edc a 119 and nobody seems to care

I carry a 110 and a 119 (on belt in sheaths) in Northern Virginia several times a week. Being within a mile of the Nation's Capitol, it just seems natural.
- Stuart

I've seemed to notice if I carry say,my Gerber strongarm, people do tend to give it an "odd" look. But more traditional fixed blades in nice leather sheaths don't seem to gather any attention. Aside from a complement or 2! Guess it helps I'm in a rural area. I've carried a fixed blade of one kind or another since I was 13, cept during school lol.

Man, I wish I hadn't missed out on those!!:cool::thumbsup:

I hear ya. In the guitar world, we call those "relics". Guitars that are artfully (sometimes not, LOL) distressed to make them look as though they've been there done that. I always considered real playing wear to be attractive and a point of pride. Now, it appears GEC has make a reliced Barlow. Which I must admit, whether one likes reliced guitars or not, these knives look great.

I have posted enough photos of my knives that most of you may have noticed that I am perfectly capable of relicing my knives on my own.:oops:

So reliced or not, what I REALLY like about that knife is the long spear and the gorgeous swedge. Simply a great blade. Thanks to all of you who have been showing them here - keep it up.

Been carrying my SS Case Peanut in Red Stag this week, along with my TAD. Used it to strip some wire today when installing a new light over my parents’ kitchen sink, then to trim some weed-eater line in the yard...pretty mundane stuff.

View attachment 930538

I'll echo what Dean said ~ that is a stunning Peanut!:thumbsup:

One of my Master Sergeants got selected to be a START treaty inspector in the late 80s. He sent me a bag of pins he traded for while inspecting facilities for compliance in the Soviet Union. Gave away many of them, these are the ones I kept for no reason other than the cool factor. The flask came from some of my 576 FLTS troops after a boondoggle in the late 90s. Of note is how cheaply they are made, not as readily apparent from the front as the back where the tabs are flimsy. In contrast the crossed flags is USA made, and would endure many on and off fastenings. Did some START treaty compliance inspection in the US. Foreign inspectors were always polite and liked to trade small pins / uniform items after the business was out of the way. Trust, but verify.

This ebony tacosa is the business once sharpened. Nice current patina from garlic, onions, whatever needs cut.

STARTpinsandtascosa.jpg

One of my Master Sergeants got selected to be a START treaty inspector in the late 80s. He sent me a bag of pins he traded for while inspecting facilities for compliance in the Soviet Union. Gave away many of them, these are the ones I kept for no reason other than the cool factor. The flask came from some of my 576 FLTS troops after a boondoggle in the late 90s. Of note is how cheaply they are made, not as readily apparent from the front as the back where the tabs are flimsy. In contrast the crossed flags is USA made, and would endure many on and off fastenings. Did some START treaty compliance inspection in the US. Foreign inspectors were always polite and liked to trade small pins / uniform items after the business was out of the way. Trust, but verify.

This ebony tacosa is the business once sharpened. Nice current patina from garlic, onions, whatever needs cut.

STARTpinsandtascosa.jpg
I never noticed the blade on the Tascosa in photos before. I like how the belly sits farther back from the point - combined with the swedge, and it's great looking. How does it compare size wise to the 43?

Speaking of swapping things, my son's team had a team of Aussies a few hours away with whom they met up a couple of times, also working OEF, and he swapped a set of his ACUs for a set of Australians. I have them in one of his containers. Too small for me, though.:rolleyes:

Does the flask still smell like vodka?:cool:

Last edited:

STARTpinsandtascosa.jpg
Very cool, Chief!
I thought I still had a SMLM card, but can't find it.
Still got some German and Iraqi momentos, but nothing as pristine.

Cool pic of your Churchill! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I think I'm getting too old to go for those ground level shots! ;)

I think I might have a year or two of ground level shots left in me. ;):D
How do you like that S&M ?

I just picked up this little Black Box beauty on the exchange.
42960432031_7ba3ab9002_h.jpg

Thanks @Ernie1980 , this one feels like a good workin' knife.

Chief Chief Some very nice Soviet badges there John! Particularly like the city ones, the Verkhneudinsk one has a large cat that could be a Siberian Tiger:cool: and the Serpukhov one must be from 1989 as it celebrates 650th anniversary of the city, Krasnoyarsk is simple and more 'Russian' in style than Soviet, Volgograd (Stalingrad) is real USSR style though:) The knife aint too dull either :D

Thanks, Will

Back