What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

817-FAAB3-C74-D-4-AC1-BB35-C74-CD5-A7-BBC3.jpg

Update for the CAR ON THE ICE for today . Best phone pic that my wife could get a little while ago today because of the traffic . Car is partly in the water but not all the way yet on 3-22-2019 .

Harry

Thanks for the update, Harry. Looks like it shouldn't be long now! :D I think everybody and their brother were out ice fishing on Minnetonka today. Probably the last good weekend for it this year.

This is kind of a big day for me in terms of knife collecting. The Camillus army engineer knife is forever within my pocket, but riding with it is somewhat of a grail knife. It just arrived this morning, and thanks to the combined efforts of tmd_87 tmd_87 and @prom52, I am now the proud owner of a smooth ivory bone Beer Scout Knife.

The initial run of GEC Beer Scouts was one of my first forays into the world of GEC knife collecting, other than the occasional purchase. Being an avid scout collector, and my father-in-law also being a knife collector and former scout master, this run was a huge deal for us. The problem was that funds were limited at that time, and there was a plethora of amazing cover options on that run.

We finally put a few Beer Scouts in preorder, and were very happy with what we received. But what always drove us crazy was that we didn’t order the smooth ivory bone. To be honest, there were no pictures, and the text description didn’t sound nearly as exciting as other cover options. But when pictures of the smooth bones started to drift into the porch, we were floored. Talk about instant regret, not ordering one.

So I’ve kind of suffered for years, always remembering the one that got away from the both of us, until today. And as I suspected, it’s love at first sight. This knife has gone straight into my pocket today, at least for the brief time I’m not holding it and staring into these dreamy covers. The bone is so wonderfully creamy and rich, with lots of subtle color variation and depth.

I’m a very happy man today. Thanks again Taylor, for thinking of me when you heard about this knife. It is exceptional.

z7gZApwh.jpg

UhsW7COh.jpg

That's a beauty, Buzz! :thumbsup: :cool:

Great knife Barrett :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Barrett.
I have to tell ya, that 25 of yours is a classy little knife.

Thanks, guys! I'm carrying that one again today. :thumbsup:

~Possibility of vintage knives*
~Spending day with daughter*
~15yr old girl that loves knives*
~Tejas BBQ*

*100% liklihood of a good day:thumbsup:
Enjoy it Vince, take pics of knives and bbq!

Picked this up at the gun show:
CHTndEv.jpg

$10. Couldn't leave on the table.

BBQ after gun show:
ZOMh3uq.jpg

Mesquite smoked brisket & jalapeño cheddar sausage. :)

a7JoC4h.jpg

Had a couple of days off work-the older I get the more I like it;) Went off to the country place, brilliant sun but extremely strong winds and everything melting turns it to glass. So went off for a couple of hours walk with the spiked boots..across tracks and into the forest with a snack and drink in the pack. Migrant birds have appeared: Swans, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, and heard the Skylark for the first time this year, a beautiful sound. Shakespeare was right when he wrote that "Like the lark at break of day arising From sullen earth to sing hymns at heaven's gate" :cool: Ravens seem to be collecting twigs and branches for nests, Woodpeckers drumming trees. Winter is capitulating despite icy cold.

I collected some willow twigs with their fat furry buds for indoor decoration. Willow can be tough whippy material so the GEC Bullnose was the tool for the job, I appreciate its thick scale slabs which make cutting the sinewy Willow easy & fast. Other types of knife, thinner scales would be more tricky, the Bullnose is a very good Sodbuster work-knife. Not looking so bad either;)

Last edited:
PAL CUTLERY CO( curved stamp )
c. 1945 -1953 at Plattsburg or Holyoke plant
It's a Rogers bone piece of jewelry. This thing is a made like a dream. 3 & 3/8th with half stops and thinly ground blades. With a Zen ring I designed when in my teens (black star sapphire bisected by the female passive (smooth area ) and the male aggressive (rough area ) ) The stone is illuminated by the light of the Sun

46725807364_1e578bf3b1_b.jpg

Wonderful old cow knife, shows that Pal did some excellent work even years after the Remington closure. And that Rogers bone alwats gives me a warm feeling even just eyeballing photos of it. I may need to go grab an old Camillus and do some coon-fingering now... :D

Picked this up at the gun show:
CHTndEv.jpg

$10. Couldn't leave on the table.

BBQ after gun show:
ZOMh3uq.jpg

Mesquite smoked brisket & jalapeño cheddar sausage. :)

It seems like those kinds of moonshot finds are getting rarer and rarer every day. That is a ready-made display for any knife knut. :thumbsup:

I won't even comment on your lunch because it makes mine look third-world by comparison. ;)

Stag in the pockets on a March Madness Saturday.

47398060492_2ca16072e1_k.jpg

47451267531_2216a5c33b_k.jpg

Last edited:
a7JoC4h.jpg

Had a couple of days off work-the older I get the more I like it;) Went off to the country place, brilliant sun but extremely strong winds and everything melting turns it to glass. So went off for a couple of hours walk with the spiked boots..across tracks and into the forest with a snack and drink in the pack. Migrant birds have appeared: Swans, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, and heard the Skylark for the first time this year, a beautiful sound. Shakespeare was right when he wrote that "Like the lark at break of day arising From sullen earth to sing hymns at heaven's gate" :cool: Ravens seem to be collecting twigs and branches for nests, Woodpeckers drumming trees. Winter is capitulating despite icy cold.

I collected some willow twigs with their fat furry buds for indoor decoration. Willow can be tough whippy material so the GEC Bullnose was the tool for the job, I appreciate its thick scale slabs which make cutting the sinewy Willow easy & fast. Other types of knife, thinner scales would be more tricky, the Bullnose is a very good Sodbuster work-knife. Not looking so bad either;)

Will, you can make a whistle out of a green willow branch the size of a little finger and talk back to those birds...o_O

Wonderful old cow knife, shows that Pal did some excellent work even years after the Remington closure. And that Rogers bone alwats gives me a warm feeling even just eyeballing photos of it. I may need to go grab an old Camillus and do some coon-fingering now... :D
LOL ! Thank you for the fine words and those two beauties are a treat to see...wow !!!

Back