What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Hangin out with a pal

46799052464_34ddfb4d87_k.jpg

Half/Stop Half/Stop Your Rosewood HH Barlow looks great, Ron.
Thank you Harvey! :)

Lovely clean pic Ron :) :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack! :)

Great score, Ron. (Though there seems to be a lot of scoring going on.)
Thanks my friend! :thumbsup: :)

I'm looking for inspiration in picking my totin' choice today, and those are inspiring me to pick one of these:

JLnqD8I.jpg

a5WEkgG.jpg

- Stuart
:thumbsup: :D

I couldn't make my mind up with that trio of Queen 22s (1972), so I've pocketed this pair of Queen 27s (1958-1960) to tote today. Yes, they are almost redundant, but I've got to get out of the knife cave and moving this morning.

MDXyRAy.jpg

NkWC7EH.jpg

- Stuart
:thumbsup: :D

Those beautiful Queen Barlow’s look great in your photos Stuart! :thumbsup: They look soooo much better in person my friend!!! :cool: :thumbsup: :D

Such elegant photos of your exquisite knives, Dwight and Ron! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Would that I could learn how to take a pic with no reflections! :eek::rolleyes:
Thanks for the compliment Gary! I’m honored to be mentioned in the same sentence as Dwight. I consider his photos to be top notch. I suspect that like myself Dwight takes most of his photos outside. What I consider my best photos are always taken on my back deck. I usually try for the time right before sunrise. :)

Ham, Jam, thank you MAM! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

I haven't traveled extensively in the US or abroad, but I'm actually kind of familiar with the area in your map, Jeff. I have a college buddy who has lived in Sioux Falls for years, and I've visited him a couple of times. One summer, my wife, daughter, and I did an impromptu Laura Ingalls Wilder road trip and spent time in De Smet (northwest of your lambsfoot tip), stayed in a motel in Worthington, MN (just east of your knife), and stayed in Spring Valley, MN (on eastern edge of your map) where Almanzo Wilder and the founder of Sears both grew up. Do you plan to drive by the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD?

Distinguished duo, Tom. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I saw that Pujols got a very warm welcome last night when he returned to St. Louis for the first time since moving to the Angels. :)

Your stag Weidmannshell is very distinctive, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Your Utica is utterly handsome, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Much obliged, John. :)

Thanks for the info; very cool little knives! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I appreciate the support, Steve. :)

Couple of capital stag knives, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Grateful for the comment, Harvey. :)

Thanks for your remarks, Dean. :)

RALF has a stellar new partner, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I'm grateful for your clear instructions, Rachel; they even make logical sense to me! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Whenever I see that fireball hurtling toward the bolster of your horn lambsfoot, I feel the need, the need for speed! :rolleyes::cool::thumbsup:

I'm with you on the peanuts, Vince. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Shortly after I received my AC lambsfoot, I bought a 3-pack of Cracker Jack for photo purposes. One of the boxes had TWO peanuts in it!!! :eek::mad::thumbsdown:

I'd take an EO teardrop jack over a Barlow any day of the week, Dylan (especially if it were a 2-blade model)! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the nod to my knives, JJ :); I wish I were more intentional about going for blade diversity when I put together my rotation schedule. :rolleyes:
Nice strawberry pair! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (I've had NO fresh strawberries this season so far! :eek::()

Superb pair, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool: The Abbeydale Jack and your "inner glow" oxhorn are still perhaps my favorites from your collection. :)

Sounds like the movie you've described has almost the same cast as Animal House, although I always get Karen and Nancy Allen mixed up.
The magnifier on your SAK reminds me of one of my favorite Cracker Jack prizes, the plastic magnifying glass. :thumbsup::cool:

Your stag Hartshead Barlows both bark with the big dogs, Ron & John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Thanks GT! Yes Pujols was well received Friday night, the baseball fans here are a cordial bunch. I am still celebrating our Stanley Cup victory, I am an admitted bandwagon Cardinals fan :)

My blue Pioneer X was helping me on rib duty today, they turned out pretty good.

pX3wvxa.jpg

View attachment 1149331 View attachment 1149333 View attachment 1149332

Gevonovich Gevonovich Thank you for your compliment Gev. It does not surprise me that you are moved by JD's work. Like you, he has the soul of an artist and poet. I always enjoy your posts; both the photography and especially the philosophy. You are certainly my choice to be the Porch's poet laureate. For his knife handles, JD uses almost exclusively materials sourced in the Yucatan Peninsula where he lives and makes his knives. For example, the handles of my knife are made from the horns of a fighting bull from the local arena. He intentionally left in some of the marks from the outer horn that the bull accumulated during his life. To me, the roughness of the horn contrasts well with his elegant file work. His escutcheon plates are made from antique Mexican silver coins. I also like the colors he chose to blend into this Zulu knife.
Just beautiful work by Jeff. The colors and texture of the horn makes it truly one of a kind. I'm hoping one day to have him make me one of his Navajas. Until then I'll gaze at photos and admire the coin knife he made for me.

This is coming together. Nice Sunday. John Lee Hooker and grinding puukko oval handles. Cheap therapy. Basil Haden bbn single bbl 50/50 with selzer goes perfect with truoil 50/50 with mineral spirits and a dash of acetone. Crusty when dry

Blade is scandy 62mm. Still striving for perfect pocket puukko.

Wood is Russian Karelian Birch and Scandinavian Curly Birch. Dry and absorbent so it’s sucking up the truoil, now on 7th coat. Goal was functional blade in 6” for pruning figs. After Basil I’ll call this the Perfected Pocket Puukko Pruner and it cores apples too man

Happy Sunday to you

Man, my pulse is racing and my "like" button finger is plumb wore out! So many gorgeous knives up today. Took this with me to the Houston Fiber Arts Festival today. Stag handled 1095 knife and spinning your own yarn. Doesn't get much more traditional than that. Also means spending on Kim's hobbies this week outstripped mine, so doors have been opened! ;)

20190623_110040.jpg

One nice thing about Case is that there are so many dealers. Hardware stores, farm and ranch stores, gun stores, etc. Some have large displays. I usually get to examine before I buy. Of course, some places only carry a few, but you can locate the gold and platinum dealers online. I have ordered a couple of Case knives online and they were fine.
I went actually to a few places nearby that were listed online but they only had a few models, none that I was interested in. I also wasn't too worried about the quality, there I would have trusted Amazon's return policy. But with the BoneStag I was very picky with the color and texture of the handle.

Schrade Cutco and a #43 today

yndZMHN.jpg
Nice Steve!

I couldn't make my mind up with that trio of Queen 22s (1972), so I've pocketed this pair of Queen 27s (1958-1960) to tote today. Yes, they are almost redundant, but I've got to get out of the knife cave and moving this morning.

MDXyRAy.jpg

NkWC7EH.jpg

- Stuart
You’ve so many nice knives, you can’t go wrong with whatever choice you make like the pair of Queens today.

Hangin out with a pal

46799052464_34ddfb4d87_k.jpg
Gorgeous knife and photo Gev!

Pocket knife and pocket jewelry

Nice Steve!

You’ve so many nice knives, you can’t go wrong with whatever choice you make like the pair of Queens today.

Gorgeous knife and photo Gev!

Pocket knife and pocket jewelry
Two knives that make me smile...divine !! Thank you :D

C cjtamu - "doors have been opened" :D You mean the lock on your wallet is being neglected for now. o_O

Ray

Ha ha ha. That lock never did do much good. What it really means is there were a few things Kim wanted, but she felt she’d spent enough already. So I snuck in and bought them for her before we left. The lock to the husband points has been opened and I’m rolling in them right now! :)

Gary, there was a time when I was the only Jeff around here. Now, there are so many Jeffs on the porch,
that sometimes I forget who I am! :confused:

Why?

This is coming together. Nice Sunday. John Lee Hooker and grinding puukko oval handles. Cheap therapy. Basil Haden bbn single bbl 50/50 with selzer goes perfect with truoil 50/50 with mineral spirits and a dash of acetone. Crusty when dry

Blade is scandy 62mm. Still striving for perfect pocket puukko.

Wood is Russian Karelian Birch and Scandinavian Curly Birch. Dry and absorbent so it’s sucking up the truoil, now on 7th coat. Goal was functional blade in 6” for pruning figs. After Basil I’ll call this the Perfected Pocket Puukko Pruner and it cores apples too man

Happy Sunday to you

I love the ingenuity and skill!

Back