What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

YuYkuk9.jpg

Arno Bernard Galago, handled in warthog tusk.
Beautiful knife and it is my guess that it was one of the sharpest that you have ever had . I bought one a few years ago for a gift and I was very impressed .

Harry

Today I carry "THE KNIFE", # 73 of GEC, an extraordinary knife!!!;):thumbsup:
Great "stag on stag" image of your excellent knife!:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)
That's a gorgeous pair you're sporting today!
Thanks Dwight! Outstanding shot of your Cocobolo Ram Foot; the 2 woods contrast very nicely!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)
That's an unusual pair! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I chose the chopper to trim my attack cycad :)
That's a very cool flotilla of canoes you have, wow!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Ibberson/Stan Shaw 1959 Stockman with all the trimmings.
Your Ibberson is quite the unique beauty; the belle of any cutlery ball!!!
BLT anyone? :)
Your Maserin is the perfect slicer for that wonderful feast!:thumbsup:;)
More stunning covers with a cool swage!:thumbsup::cool:

Greetings from a week-long cycle holiday. We had rented a cabin from the island of Åland, which is in the archipelago between Finland and Sweden. Good roads, lots of history and very beautiful countryside, full of apple orchards, sheep and cattle, old well kept farmhouses and the sea. Weather was not the best, mostly windy but not too much rain.

I learned a lesson conserning knives taken with me on these trips. My next knife taken on a trip like this will be 3,5 - 4 inch blade, sturdy spine to handle firewood BUT flat grind, or high scandi grind. This knife did well in firewood processing, but left a lot to be desired in cutting foodstuffs. Since all knives supplied by the owner of the cabin were butterknife dull I had to use this knife almost everything. Also this blade was a bit short for all round duty.

FSw90dd.jpg

Thanks, @Fire Beard. :) I'm something of a canoesseur, and probably have at least a couple of dozen RR canoes. Many of the canoes in this pic are Rough Riders (or closely-related Marbles and Colts):
4row-canoes-jpg.1161212

Congratulations Gary, but what an impressive collection of canoes!!!:):thumbsup:

I'm something of a canoesseur, and probably have at least a couple of dozen RR canoes. Many of the canoes in this pic are Rough Riders (or closely-related Marbles and Colts):
View attachment 1161212

Thanks, Jack. :)
Luscious pair of lambsfoots! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I get confused by your stag HHB pics, forgetting that you have TWO of them so the covers are not actually changing! :rolleyes:

Fantastic Canoe collection GT :) I get confused myself! :D :thumbsup:

Through Jack Black Jack Black and many others, I’ve caught Vintage Sheffield Cutlery-itus.

Ibberson/Stan Shaw 1959 Stockman with all the trimmings.
View attachment 1161257

FB5B35B8-D16E-4F37-89EA-C3A2C3B23153_zpsjlnfzmah.jpeg

0BB3B82E-5550-4795-9332-B6144E84977F_zpslwozple3.jpeg

8D3052BD-3834-4C6D-AF62-28A623A661CC_zpszzyycdee.jpeg

3853AC3B-2A7C-48AC-ADD6-31A51837816B_zpshccdhcnc.jpeg

FEF34A6B-0678-4BE8-A6BC-C3D9765479A5_zpsmx1lth8d.jpeg

Congratulations Harvey, it's absolutely stunning, a really special knife my friend :) :thumbsup:

When I was very young, and living in Phillie, the snow that piled up between the sidewalk and street would turn black from car exhaust...

I always enjoy watching patina develop, and I'm fascinated to see what the bolster will look like. They are of the same steel as the blade, but differently heat treated. Will that effect patina formation?
SoxbHJ9.jpg

That brings back memories Rachel :) I was just thinking the same thing about the bolsters! :D :thumbsup:

Greetings from a week-long cycle holiday. We had rented a cabin from the island of Åland, which is in the archipelago between Finland and Sweden. Good roads, lots of history and very beautiful countryside, full of apple orchards, sheep and cattle, old well kept farmhouses and the sea. Weather was not the best, mostly windy but not too much rain.

I learned a lesson conserning knives taken with me on these trips. My next knife taken on a trip like this will be 3,5 - 4 inch blade, sturdy spine to handle firewood BUT flat grind, or high scandi grind. This knife did well in firewood processing, but left a lot to be desired in cutting foodstuffs. Since all knives supplied by the owner of the cabin were butterknife dull I had to use this knife almost everything. Also this blade was a bit short for all round duty.

FSw90dd.jpg

Sounds like a fantastic trip :) That's a nice wee knife, but yes, flat-grind definitely wins! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a fantastic trip :) That's a nice wee knife, but yes, flat-grind definitely wins! :thumbsup:
Thank's. The island is large enough for cycling, but not too big. Longest distances we did in a day were 60 km, so not too much. Also we have electric bicycles so this made it easier in a strong headwind, but limited the available distance to 65-70 per day before the battery ran out.

Thank's. The island is large enough for cycling, but not too big. Longest distances we did in a day were 60 km, so not too much. Also we have electric bicycles so this made it easier in a strong headwind, but limited the available distance to 65-70 per day before the battery ran out.

What a great way to get around :) :thumbsup:

have electric bicycles so this made it easier in a strong headwind, but limited the available distance to 65-70 per day before the battery ran out.

I'd forgotten about electric bicycles. It sounds like they don't recharge from pedalling and braking, then?
wGBMyPN.jpg

I must drag my bikes out of the back of the garage before Winter. Maybe after a rain, so the ground is softer to fall on.

Back