What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

View attachment 1270748
Spent yesterday working on this baby between changing diapers and whatnot. My attempt at a lambsfoot... Friction folder, black walnut handle from a removal I did a while back, mystery blade steel from my mechanic, bolster made from a piece of copper pipe, and the hinge pin made from an old nail.

Attachments

• 1579817479494735484427.jpg
    1579817479494735484427.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for asking, John!
This is a Telecaster scratch built copy I’m building for my son. Poor kid only has a Gibson SG, and everybody needs at least one Tele! Body is chambered African mahogany with a flamed maple top that came out of the rack at Menards.
The neck is another piece of nicely flamed hard maple from the same source.
Installing a two way truss rod, which requires a fatter cut at the last two inches. After carefully drilling that out, the razor sharp coping blade on my whittler was perfect for cleaning that up.View attachment 1270687
Can’t wait to see that Tele, Jeff!

By Grabthar's Hammer, by the Suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged.
Great line from a great movie. And definitely appropriate for that knife!!
:D:thumbsup: It just came to mind when I picked it up to put in my pocket this morning.
I'm going to keep riding with the Harness Jack...
No one could blame you for sticking with it.
47019332041_bc17758783_b.jpg
The Platonic Ideal.

Ask and you shall receive. My hunting hiatus went from end of deer season (empty handed) into duck season (been lucky so far) and now it bleeds into rabbit season. I'm glad to be back on the Porch and am totin' these two today - Case and Cunningham.

4m1T5Nn.jpg

And wearing pants.
- Stuart

Welcome back!
6Ez0y3A.gif

IMHO, I am carrying a couple nice ones. :)
(No doubt some will disagree with me.)

I put the RR603 Old Yeller stockman away, and put my RR1507 "A Stroke of Luck" stockman (same size as the Old Yeller) in my pocket to keep the RR1838 Moose company.
My RR1506 "A Stroke of Luck" trapper (in its box) went into the Rollator, to match the stockman.
I left the 'A Stroke of Luck" Canoe in the drawer, in favor of the (BTI) Old Timer 280OT Barlow that was already in the Rollator.
(Old Yeller trapper was taken out of Rollator and put away.)
SK Blades 'The Gentleman" Buck 110 stayed in the Rollator, as did the Mora Classic Number 1.
The Marbles MR417 (2 blade) Folding Hunter is still on my belt.

2 in pocket, 1 on belt, and 4 in the Rollator are "Enough", right?

Last edited:
I'm on the same page as Ron here:cool: A great Traditional in all senses:thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

What a ravishing pen knife! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: What model is that, and what size?

- GT

Thank you for your complements and likes!

It's a 06247 model, 8 dots 1972, 3 7/8 long. 2 blades on a single spring, it's very pocket friendly. I got it as unused condition. Very nice! I'm carrying it quite often and a patina is developing on it now. I have some 6347's 3 blade Stockman, there is always one secondary never gets used. So this time, I go for 2 blades.

Cool couple of knives! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Is the RR smooth tobacco bone?

Thanks GT. :)
The RR was orange smooth bone from maker. I dyed it by simmering the knife in a pan of water then leaving in a mug of brown Rit dye for about 5-10 minutes. I've done others like this and it really mellows out the bright orange and gives the scales a rich look. RR's smooth bone is really nice IMO and if desired can be dyed easily.:thumbsup:

I said on an earlier post that I was going to carry this one :

Then I also grabbed this one . As an aside , my wife and I were cleaning the Rover the Robot vacuum and we needed a knife for something and she said " Oh no , not that one , it is too sharp " .

She does know the knife well .

Harry

Looks like the Wright thing to do, Jack! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

You can carry that peanut with pride, José! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Osage orange and ebony is a wondrous Wednesday combo, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Call me "provincial", but I'm always pleased to see your Michigan-based Olsens, Alan! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Good-looking pair, Tom! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Impressive collection of wood products, David! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Fabulous knife and pic, Dave! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, guys; it comes with the territory. ;)

Checkered scales are SO attractive, and that ebony is amazing! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow, John, you didn't waste any time getting a patina going once you decided to make that Harness Jack a user! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Cool couple of knives! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Is the RR smooth tobacco bone?

Notable pair, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Joshua, your family must play a much more competitive, cutthroat version of Crazy Eights than we used to play! :eek::D I don't think we EVER had our knives out for card games!

Thanks, Harvey. There's no question that I have a chronic case of Alox Pox! :)
Your stag I*XL lambsfoot is such a memorable knife! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for sharing your opinion on my idle question, JJ. :)
Your S&M duo is Sublime & Magical! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry to read that such a nice folder has disappeared in the mail, Will :thumbsdown::(; I'll join you in hoping that it comes to light soon!

What a ravishing pen knife! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: What model is that, and what size?

I'm always astounded by the "inner glow" of that one, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

You've got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle ...;):cool::thumbsup:

:):thumbsup::)
You're riding high with your stag lambsfoot and saw cut redbone 77 Barlow, Ron! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Your gleaming white office knife is cool, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I have one from Keen Kutter but it's quite yellowed with age.

Handsome pair of knives, Jeff, and it was cool to see how you used the whittler on your Telecaster project! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for taking the time to mention it, John. :)

When I see a photo of a single bright red Case, I usually think that the color isn't really my style. But seeing several such knives together, like the trio and duo you gents have posted, gets a powerful mojo mojo going that's kind of hard to resist! :rolleyes::cool::cool:

Thanks, Dean. :) I don't really need another 6347, but I would like a Rogers jigged walnut example, and if I could eventually find that on a 6347, I wouldn't complain! ;):cool::cool:

Thanks for the confirmation and the compliment, Steve! :):thumbsup:

That's superb wood for ANY day of the week, Tom! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

You're quite a "fashion-forward" guy, Stuart! :D Welcome back! That's intriguing handle material on your fixed blade! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can see why that pair could grab your attention on a regular basis! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words. The sowbelly pic is from Lake Huron in August; that sure appeals to me more than the 8-10 inches of snow we picked up last weekend with frozen slush underneath!

- GT

To be completely honest, we weren't quite playing at the moment I snapped the picture. We were waiting on several stragglers to join us so we could begin. I don't think I could hold my cards and my knife and play successfully (though that sounds like the makings of a country song--"Held onto my blade, while he cut the deck / He said 'Are you in, fella', and I said, 'what the heck!")

Back