What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

View attachment 1313452 View attachment 1313454 View attachment 1313450 View attachment 1313453 View attachment 1313456 View attachment 1313457

Ahhh, now we are into three of the greatest all time GEC patterns, the 72, 73, and the 74! In fact, these are three of the best patterns in traditional pocket knife history, in my opinion of course.

Obviously, having been lucky enough to score a Red Stag 72, I had to keep that one as my one and only 72.

The 73 was purchased from someone who used it a bit. That knife locks up rock solid, which is unusual for a GEC, and it is built like a little tank. Talk about a strong spring! The handle is dark Cocobolo.

My 74 is the Apostle P Heartland Clip in Ebony. Rob designed one of the nicest GEC’s ever. Too bad that he has not been able to do more for whatever reason. Over the years, I have gone from thinking that Ebony was a bit boring to it now being my favorite wood, followed by dark Cocobolo. To me, those are the most traditional wood cover choices.

If I could only keep one of these three, I would have to keep the 73. It is a little smaller and more compact. It it also tight with a bear trap spring. I am looking forward to the day GEC revisits the 73.

Next up, the one and only 77 Barlow!

Half/Stop Half/Stop , glad you had a successful outing Ron. As to which of your two knives, the 73 or 92, I would prefer, I guess you can safely say that I am a 73 man!

Last edited:
I reluctantly made a trip to get my monthly finger stick at my doctors office this morning. I had my gloves on but no mask. When I went in the lobby they were screening people before you could go in. I had to answer a few questions and get my temperature checked. On the inside there was only three patients and they had taken out over half the chairs. I think this a great move to help protect us. I checked good to go for another month. :thumbsup: After I got out I decided to make a grocery run. One of our local stores is just across the street from the doctors office. I managed to score several things that have been elusive so far. I got two bags of dry pintos and two bags of great northern beans. I also scored a 5lb bag of plain flour. Fresh bananas and potatoes and salad mix. I also scored a large package of hamburger meat to use in a meatloaf. Pam’s going to make one tonight and I’m really looking forward to that! :D I’m carrying two today. One for any work that needs to be handled and one that makes me smile all over every time I have it in my hand. Y’all can tell from the photo which is which! Be safe out there! :thumbsup: :D

48591739522_bbd2bd6483_o_d.jpg

This thread has certainly accelerated, lol!
On Saturday I made the comment that I thought I could keep up with it again o_O
Ahh, what a wee babe I was, lol!

I have these two out in the shop with me this morning.
Hey John, I didn't know you do leatherwork.
That's a craft that's always intrigued me.

View attachment 1312819 View attachment 1312820 View attachment 1312821 View attachment 1312823 View attachment 1312822

Here is to our intrepid explorer Jack Black Jack Black for venturing out. And yes, he was well armed @JohnDF . I always wondered what Jack would carry during Armageddon! Happy Birthday Jack!

I have been staying on the farm trying to get as much done as possible during my exile.

Today, I am totin the infamous GEC 47 Viper made back in the day when GEC still put a shield on Stag. (They even put shields on the higher quality Genuine and Natural Stag, which was not burnt.).

The Viper was one of the patterns that hooked me on GEC. It was hard to get this one, and they are still pretty hard to find. The pattern is the inverse of the 74. I am not usually a wharncliff fan, but this one was a must have for me.

Next up, three of the all time greats, the 72, 73, and 74!

I love that Texas Jack @Crazy Canuck ! Is it the 92 or 32 pattern. I also love that 47 @hornetguy . Both of those are classics.

@Duckdog , Stuart, we are still waiting to hear more about that amazing steak! What was the cut and how did you cook it?

A beautiful Viper there, Sir :thumbsup:
I have a GEC 83 in natural stag with an inlayed shield from 2015-- a knife that got me hooked on GEC as well.

That's handsome as hell.

Many thanks Leslie, those zombies never stood a chance! ;) :D

th6lcgy.jpg
Way awesome, Jack :thumbsup:
Looks like you're all set. Just add a helmet and shield and scream, "THIS. IS. SHEFFIELD!"
:D:p

View attachment 1313452 View attachment 1313454 View attachment 1313450 View attachment 1313453 View attachment 1313456 View attachment 1313457

Ahhh, now we are into three of the greatest all time GEC patterns, the 72, 73, and the 74! In fact, these are three of the best patterns in traditional pocket knife history, in my opinion of course.

Obviously, having been lucky enough to score a Red Stag 72, I had to keep that one as my one and only 72.

The 73 was purchased from someone who used it a bit. That knife locks up rock solid, which is unusual for a GEC, and it is built like a little tank. Talk about a strong spring! The handle is dark Cocobolo.

My 74 is the Apostle P Heartland Clip in Ebony. Rob designed one of the nicest GEC’s ever. Too bad that he has not been able to do more for whatever reason. Over the years, I have gone from thinking that Ebony was a bit boring to it now being my favorite wood, followed by dark Cocobolo. To me, those are the most traditional wood cover choices.

If I could only keep one of these three, I would have to keep the 73. It is a little smaller and more compact. It it also tight with a bear trap spring. I am looking forward to the day GEC revisits the 73.

Next up, the one and only 77 Barlow!

Half/Stop Half/Stop , glad you had a successful outing Ron. As to which of your two knives, the 73 or 92, I would prefer, I guess you can safely say that I am a 73 man!

I have the apostle P in jigged bone and it’s one of my favorite single blade knives. I love your stag lockback.

Happy Hump Day Everybody

Great pic John :thumbsup:

I reluctantly made a trip to get my monthly finger stick at my doctors office this morning. I had my gloves on but no mask. When I went in the lobby they were screening people before you could go in. I had to answer a few questions and get my temperature checked. On the inside there was only three patients and they had taken out over half the chairs. I think this a great move to help protect us. I checked good to go for another month. :thumbsup: After I got out I decided to make a grocery run. One of our local stores is just across the street from the doctors office. I managed to score several things that have been elusive so far. I got two bags of dry pintos and two bags of great northern beans. I also scored a 5lb bag of plain flour. Fresh bananas and potatoes and salad mix. I also scored a large package of hamburger meat to use in a meatloaf. Pam’s going to make one tonight and I’m really looking forward to that! :D I’m carrying two today. One for any work that needs to be handled and one that makes me smile all over every time I have it in my hand. Y’all can tell from the photo which is which! Be safe out there! :thumbsup: :D

48591739522_bbd2bd6483_o_d.jpg

Fine pair Ron, enjoy your meatloaf :) :thumbsup:

Way awesome, Jack :thumbsup:
Looks like you're all set. Just add a helmet and shield and scream, "THIS. IS. SHEFFIELD!"
:D:p

Thanks buddy, wonder if I can get that as a sticker?! :D :thumbsup:

Zn9Wj4b.jpg

Going on a few days now. Speaking of which, going nowhere soon.View attachment 1313536

Titanic trio Lee :thumbsup:

Back