What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Un-Chained

Un-Chained Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2021
    Awesome @CelloDan :cool::thumbsup:
    Look at the little one there:):thumbsup:

CelloDan likes this.
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Jack. :)

Jack Black likes this.
  3. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    A pair of pleasurable pics of your two fine Old Friends, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

José, you certainly have many colors of Alox knives! Congrats on your 2021 Limited Edition! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dapper and distinguished dark duos, John & Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I appreciate the compliments on my chestnut jigged bone Case knives, folks. :) They're definitely among my favorites as a group, and some of the individual knives are among my all-time favorite knives for various reasons.
    Todd, the sowbelly stockman was a surprise Christmas gift in 2015 from Ron @Half/Stop , who passed away so unexpectedly only about 3 months ago. I don't know if Case is still making knives from the chestnut jigged bone CV series, but many models are still available from dealers. I haven't noticed a chestnut sowbelly in stock anywhere for a long time, although I haven't been actively searching; I suspect that model has been discontinued by Case.

I like your old friend from Deutschland, Dean! ;):cool::cool:

Thanks for the info and for the congratulations. :)

That's a peachy canoe, Les! :cool::cool::thumbsup: What does Case call that color?

Really like that knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I have one just like it, except with olive wood handle, that I bought in Valencia, Spain in January 2015 that's one of my favorites.
    joker.used.open.pile.jpg

- GT

4. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Nice Kamp King, Tony! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I bought one at an antique shop exactly a year ago, as a possible "stand-in" for my very first knife, a Colonial Forest-Master I got about 1960. I worried that I might lose the Forest-Master if I carried it, so I kept my eyes open for a replacement with lower sentimental value. (Turns out that I carry my Forest-Master just as much as ever, even after picking up the Kamp King.) Yesterday, I returned to the antique store for the first time in a year, but the person who rented a little display case from which I'd bought the Kamp King (and at least one other knife about 2 years ago) apparently no longer was a "tenant". I wasn't able to locate any knives at prices in which I was interested, although after walking 1.5 miles to the store and then putting on a mask when I entered, my glasses were fogged up the entire time, so that was a deal-spotting challenge! :rolleyes:

Nice photo of a varied quintet, a veritable Whitman's Sampler of folding knives! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I can relate to that. I usually do the weekly grocery shopping at Meijer, and when I return home, I often show my wife the receipt that displays at the top how much I saved with specials, coupons, etc. I claim that those savings should be directed into my $1/day knife budget (probably tripling or quadrupling that budget), but she rarely sees it that way! :rolleyes:

Superb black and burgundy combo, JJ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: You're apparently another of the many Eureka Jack fans on The Porch. :thumbsup:;)

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard THAT story from guys ... :p:D:thumbsup::cool:

:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
    I have to learn how to "doctor" photos like that, Dan!
    (I'd like to be able to superimpose knife photos with "transparent backgrounds" over photos of the many neighborhoods, parks, etc. through which I wander on my daily walks.)

Splendid Case reb bone canoe! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Outstanding stag IMHO, Joshua! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

You must be jubilant over the jigging of that Bantam Brown Bone, Gus! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Great to see the stag PDA Cranes again, John, especially with your grand pocket slip! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
    (The Vulcan slip you sent me hangs from a belt loop and rides in the outboard edge of my LRP every day, protecting some lucky knife each week. :thumbsup::))

Intriguing frame shape on that big stag stockman, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I've never seen a Douk Douk like that one; very memorable! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Terrific keepsake, ED, and tribute to your shipmate. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Fascinating story and cool photo, Todd! :cool::cool::thumbsup: The tortoise 86 is lovely, but that stag mini trapper is the star of the show for me!

- GT

Travman, Reaper AL, JJ Cahill and 7 others like this.
  5. Un-Chained

Un-Chained Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2021
    @5K Qs
    Absolutely Gary, and thank you!

6. rcs86

rcs86 Wanna be lawn master/duck hunter Platinum Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Happy Sunday!

[​IMG]

ktataragasi, Spaten, Chui and 24 others like this.
  7. Alwaysdreaming

Alwaysdreaming Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  8. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    2052D0E0-6BCA-4BE1-A3C4-96884F585453.jpeg EC89F826-3484-4F42-93B6-AAA8653FD5D2.jpeg D0DE2D76-C88E-4ED7-B96C-2484A3011417.jpeg B9452331-826F-437A-9867-D7E7BFFB6336.jpeg

Purple and gold for a gorgeous Sunday morning. Have a great day everyone! Geaux Tigers!

BTW Jeff, @Amir Fleschwund , that Steam Mill fixed blade came with a nice belt sheath. And you are correct, a shorter blade is very useful. That knife has a 3.75 inch blade and a four inch handle. It really feels like an extension of your hand. As Bob Loveless used to say, a longer blade is just harder to control. I believe you were making the same point @Ice Tigre .

@Gevonovich , beautiful photo as always. You seem to take everything to a different dimension. Thanks!

9. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, GT, the gunstock stockman adds a little spice to the normal serpentine variety, IMO.

Un-Chained likes this.
  10. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Hope everyone's had a little fun this weekend. Happy Sunday.

[​IMG]

11. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Great story, Gary, thanks. I’m trying to do better about using sentimental knives, but I try to find seconds or equivalents too. Pretty bummed I missed that big GEC camp knife.

Un-Chained likes this.
  12. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    :cool::cool::thumbsup: Thanks kindly :)

Snoopy1 and Un-Chained like this.
  13. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    A play of contrasts... I'll likely just tote the little one though ;)
    [​IMG]

14. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Thanks, GT! They call that red Appaloosa bone.
    This one is stamped Crucible Knife Co
    [​IMG]

15. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    These two today

[​IMG]

16. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Boy, oh boy! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Good wood on your Barlows! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Your Dutch Army Knife is a champ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Notable pairs, Paul & Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

As I get older, I wish more knives had that assistive labeling for folks of my generation! :rolleyes::cool::cool:

That stag toothpick is quite a knife, Harry! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
    Be careful with that walking ON the lake in March! Hate to see them start a "Harry on the Lake" contest! :eek:;)

W:eek:W! That's a LOTTA knife that looks like it could tell a LOTTA stories! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Sensational sowbelly stockman! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Your pair of knives certainly look capable of handling the tasks you assign them, Jack! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I always say I've vowed to stay away from fixed blades, but I've certainly looked at that model from Marttiini more than once. I like the idea of collecting examples of work knives from around the world, and a Marttiini like that is probably as close as I'll come to a puukko.

Looks like that old Case has been around the block a time or two. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Did you do the blade mod?

You're welcome; I do like the chestnut jigged CV Case folders. ;)

Thanks for the info, and congrats on the fantastic result! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Cool cattle knife! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I like your unconditional statement! :cool::cool::)

You're in the money, Gev! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Yeah, I think my objection is mainly aesthetic. There's a "vertical" (perpendicular to spine and edge) line on the blade at the front of the tang, and when the blade is open all the way, that line is NOT parallel to the vertical (parallel to backspring) front of the bolster.
    GEC market, from the buyers' perspective, sure seems crazy to me as an outsider looking in! :eek:

:):thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Jack. :) Pandemic life (and especially pandemic teaching) seem very time-consuming to me and interfere with Porch participation, so I end up trying to catch up on Sundays. :rolleyes:

My high school's colors were purple and gold! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I have to confess when I saw your avatar and the purple knife, especially with blade open, what flashed through my mind was New Riders of the Purple Sage! :rolleyes:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

17. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Back to this one for today....
    [​IMG]
    (and Vic Cadet)

18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you for the kind words, GT. :)

That's a very handy and attractive looking fixed blade, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

19. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thank you very much, Gary.:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

20. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thank you, Gary.
    Yes, I have a good variety of colors in SAK alox knives.:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)