What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

"Sumo Kwaiken" because it is a fatty.

8670 steel

VDhYuhx.jpg

LReaaOW.jpg

Yz18xkK.jpg

n20Y5Jl.jpg

Hahaha! Your shop looks like mine. Spend a dollar and put a cover on that switch box.

Got one, just need to wire the second switch. Each one is a 3 way, where the buffer is in the pic will soon be a side door in the sea container. I have plans to separate the lights so the front area with the grinders is on one switch and the other switch runs the rest of the shop. I ran out of 12/3 wire to run the second circuit so every thing is currently on one switch. It's a work in progress.

Finally got around to practicing making my first leather sheath. I definitely learned quite a bit and will fix certain issues I had with it on my next one.

The kiridashi is just something I had laying around from a few years back that I recently used as a practice piece for testing my first maker's mark etch, which is readable but not the best.

My dad enjoyed using it to cut open a few envelopes so I gave it to him, which gave me a reason to make a sheath for it.

I used a piece of some leather from a scrap bag I bought from Hobby Lobby for the welt, but it turned out not to be the same type of leather (not sure if there are other types of veg tan or if it's not veg tan at all), but it didn't burnish that well so the edge of the sheath didn't blend as well as it could have had I used the same type of leather, which I will do next time.

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

Last edited:
Almost forgot, here's the diamond stitching awl I made so I could attempt a proper saddle stitch on the sheath above. It's basically shaped like a mini dagger. I made it from some scrap fire wood, steel pipe I had scrounged from a fold away couch bed we got rid, and a cut off piece of 1095 left over from a stock removal knife. I just did a quick and dirty heat treat on the 1095.

I've never seen or held a stitching awl so I judged the size of the awl off of a few internet pics. It was supposed to be quick project so I could get started on the sheath so it's not my cleanest work, but I ended up experimenting on the finish of the wood as it's always a good chance to try some things on a side/scrap project.

~Paul
My Youtube Channel

Working on my first frame handle for my first Bowie knife. Lots of first attempts on this one. Longest and widest knife yet, first guard, first frame handle... it’s been slow going with lots of stopping to figure and research and learning a few things the hard way, but it’s been fun so far.
78z6B3n.jpg

3nOi7lv.jpg

32wZsT4.jpg

N7gJhVi.jpg

Wj073Ao.jpg

zcOj3aM.jpg

This little guy is going to be raffled off at a Land Surveyor Conference in Las Vegas next week. It's 5160 heat treated by Paul Bos, just under 8" OAL and 3 3/8" tip to scales. The scales are Vitex Agnes Castus, a pretty hard wood from the Mediterranean east into Asia. It is finished to a clean 1200 grit and 600 on the spine with subtle finger grooves that index very well, at least in my hand.

18-4.JPG 18-4-1.JPG 18-4-2.JPG 18-4-3.JPG

Well, I have to give up the title of " oldest shop on BF". My little 13'x10' shop that is the original well house of my 1905 Victorian, is done. It has been sinking in the back for some time now, and with the weight of the slate roof, it's become a safety hazard. So I'm moving from no insulation, no heat, ONE 110V 20 amp circuit into the back Bay of my 20 year old 4 car garage. My heat treat area has been there since the beginning, so now I have everything under one roof. No more moving my epoxy and glues into the house every winter. I have to say though, I'll miss my little shack just a little. IMG_20180218_160516926.jpg

a
Almost forgot, here's the diamond stitching awl I made so I could attempt a proper saddle stitch on the sheath above. It's basically shaped like a mini dagger. I made it from some scrap fire wood, steel pipe I had scrounged from a fold away couch bed we got rid, and a cut off piece of 1095 left over from a stock removal knife. I just did a quick and dirty heat treat on the 1095.

I've never seen or held a stitching awl so I judged the size of the awl off of a few internet pics. It was supposed to be quick project so I could get started on the sheath so it's not my cleanest work, but I ended up experimenting on the finish of the wood as it's always a good chance to try some things on a side/scrap project.

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
and how do you keep your hands so clean...? ;)

a

and how do you keep your hands so clean...? ;)

haha, Thanks? ;)

They do get pretty dirty at times, but I've been taking my time on projects lately, mainly due to how cold it is in my shop, so they've had a good amount of time to look normal again in between.

Believe it or not, the black oil dye and edge kote came off my hands fairly quickly after making that sheath :D

ETA: BTW, I really like your soapstone holder :thumbsup:

~Paul
My Youtube Channel

Back