What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I recently got an older TA Davison slipjoint (#520) and I now appreciate a slipjoint a lot more.
Been playing around with the idea of making one myself since I got that knife as well but not to seriously.
Your new threat might change that.

I recently got an older TA Davison slipjoint (#520) and I now appreciate a slipjoint a lot more.
Been playing around with the idea of making one myself since I got that knife as well but not to seriously.
I hope so. Its so cool to be able to carry something you made. I will do everything i can to help you out.

I have made the thread. It is in the knifemakers discussion area and is titled slipjoint tutorials and advice. Im not sure how to link it here. I have just made one post about my intentions with the thread. As long as it doesnt get flagged i will start adding content.

Below are two books that proved highly valuableView attachment 1018886 View attachment 1018887 both can be found on amazon. The first has alot of great info about designing patterns. And the second has alot about small details that prove useful. I also recommend the youtube series by AR custom knives @knife to a gunfight . It may be the best resource because you can watch the whole process. He is a member here as well. I really appreciate the time people take to help teach and I would be happy to pass on what little I have learned. If there is any interest I will start a thread detailing what i have learned so far and mistakes to avoid. Hope this helps.

Ha, I just added the Steve Culver book to my Amazon wish list this morning. The wife told me I needed to add stuff to the list for Xmas, and randomly stumbled upon it. Glad to hear you recommend it. Might as well add the other, haha.

I revised this knife to add some texture. Something about this polished micarta was really slippery. I hadn't had that issue before with canvas micarta polished to high level. Even now it doesn't feel that grippy. Is there anything you can add to increase tackiness?

R0oKKY5.jpg

NEORlwE.jpg

I revised this knife to add some texture. Something about this polished micarta was really slippery. I hadn't had that issue before with canvas micarta polished to high level. Even now it doesn't feel that grippy. Is there anything you can add to increase tackiness?

R0oKKY5.jpg

NEORlwE.jpg
You can try to sandblast it. I find that adds a bit of grip.

Really nice pieces i'm looking over here! Congrats to all of you!
I leave you mi humble contribution. I recently made a video forging an integral fighter knife.
It is still in process, i wanna try a differential hardening but i am a little scared to ruin it.
Regards.

Last edited:
Back