What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Well my boy who is 9 and I started our knife making hobby tonight.

I picked up a Acme Anvil over the weekend.
Cleaned it up a little and thought it looked really rough. More on that later.

Being of the type of person that I am I keep looking at all the things that I don't have and not at what I do have. Glass half empty type of guy.

Anyway I fell into watching YouTube videos on knife making and thought I should work on rounding up the stuff to make knives.

You know all the things belt grinder ,forge press, forge tongs, hammers, etc.

Well I have the Anvil.

My wife and daughter are sick. Son is wired and needed something to DO!!!!!!!

Well what am I going to do said mom.

So I went out and got the heat going in the detached garage.

Son and I look for a stump to mount the anvil. We found a very short but flat cut stump and got the anvil tied down.

Next we need a piece of steel. I am breaking the rules here. We found a chunk of rebar.

Clamp the rose bud touch in the vice and proceeded to forge a knife.

It looked like a cheap plastic knife and we were running low on fuel for the torch.

Then we started filling. Son said it looks like a butter knife. We thought that we could do a little bit better than that.

I cut a tanto point on it and my boy filed away at it.

Anyway that old anvil looked as good as a new one in the shine of my son's eyes.

Leason learned. You can wait until you get all the things you might think that you need or you can enjoy your time with your family and make do.

Sanded down the profile of the scales on the liners, mocked it up and so far so good.

uv3TaOe.jpg

diNbXYY.jpg

Right now we're mid 20s but have seen -36 before. Much of Alaska actually isn't colder than Missouri or Montana just we make a bigger deal about it.
whatsup.jpg

Since this is shop thread, the black ash is one that was lost, the central one is a paring the wife is about to do up, a Svord getting bocote and a tiny Mikheal Eklund getting set for mammoth ivory and dyed burl.

Hi friends, here some pics of my last work on folder. My customer requare me a blade like persian....
after cutting and profiling: blade in ATS34 and liner in 6AL4V
20181210_204615.jpg

20181211_205904.jpg

20181211_205939.jpg

20181217_191124.jpg

the blade is ground and I put on it a satin finish
20190103_164815.jpg

20190103_195203.jpg

20190103_195822.jpg

on the blade, in the area that remains under the liner you can see some points as a result of hardness tests (58HRc)
20190110_202940.jpg

the customer requested damask bolster and tiger coral handle
20190110_204614.jpg

a bit of color games with titanium. I prefer to color with electrolysis
20190114_202635.jpg

Been working with Damasteel, and trying to film it. First time I have ever seen the 309 foil diffusion wield itself to the blade. Making three fixed blades out of 154 CPM, and purchased a router, that I need to mount upside down to my workbench.

I'm excited, just got back a box of woods from K&G, this is the first time I have done a batch myself instead of just paying $45 per piece pre-done. Love the work they did, the wood looks great.
Madrone Burl, walnut and redwood burl
best.jpg

The massur birch came out looking really rich and yellow cedar looks truly beautiful, unfortunately the pictures don't capture that at all.

Working on a set of Yasha Yukawa tamahagane knives installing mammoth ivory handles. Both handles will have a nickel-silver ferrule and end cap. Here I am installing some nickel pins to give additional stability to the handle/ferrule joint. The pins are through drilled and soldered in the nickle and embedded a few mm into the ivory, prior to epoxy. I will do a similar process with the end cap. Making custom handles is the way I got started making my own blades, so I still take a few commissions each year for interesting projects that are just handle installs. These knives belong to a catering chef in NYC that does events for major international luxury brands worldwide...he has a most impressive collection of high end knives.

CQd6tAu.jpg

GGw4eI3.jpg

rgVgu1P.jpg

Back