What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Trying to jump into this knife making thing full force, these (and a few more) are getting heat treated Friday morning. The bottom 2 are O1 & the rest are 1095.

My first knife was a big ugly chopper thing in O1 a few years ago. This is my first real effort at trying to make some more practical knife shaped objects, so it's mostly experimental to see how the material behaves & what I can get away with.

There is no way I could have done this without the wealth of information other makers have shared here - so THANK YOU to everyone who helps and contributes!!!!

46671754311_7015fa8d8d_c.jpg
I like them all , but I don t like all that hole .....I would never drill hole in tang in front of first pin , for a few grams of relief they weaken tang to much in critical point ?
7MzfKeY.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished up this new bull nose camper/light chopper with dovetailed chechem bolster and leopardwood, just under 10" overall. Got a great joint between the woods but a tiny misalignment under the finger choil. Learn and learn! The upper bevel is near sharp 2.5" back from the tip.18-37 1.JPG 18-37 2.JPG

Another drop-puk to go with that burgundy in orange G10 to match my college colors. This one is rougher with acid etched/stone tumble finish and textured G10 handle.

On both these, I think I took too much off the front of the handle/put the pin too close to the front. I'll rethink the pin design next time.

Yv4ATFW.jpg

jLeLHvC.jpg

I like them all , but I don t like all that hole .....I would never drill hole in tang in front of first pin , for a few grams of relief they weaken tang to much in critical point ?
7MzfKeY.jpg

Interesting - and very good point! I didn't think about that, but definitely will on the next round. The one on the far right, the intent is to put brass bolsters on with 4 brass pins. No idea if it will work or not, this is all learning & experimentation for me.

So here's what I'm working with now for doing spoons n' stuff, to give you guys a visual. I use a humble little 4x4 anvil that I bought from Old World Anvils and a base I made for it. A 4" mushroom stake from Iron Mountain Forge for doing ladles and planishing. And a Holland Swage block, also with a base I made for it and the mushroom stake. That bucket filled with cement and a post sticking out is for mounting my Atlas forge. Works quite nicely.

QPM7wLl.jpg

I finally finished a knife!!:D

Technically, this is #2, but it's definitely my first usable, practical knife. The very first was this one, waaaaaayyy back in 2013: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/o1-chopper-edit-6-24-finished-pics-added.1080625/

It's 6-1/2" OAL, slightly over 3'' blade, 1095 steel hardened to 61Rc. I hollow ground (10'' wheel) the edge to 0.010/0.008'' before sharpening on paper wheels (10-15° per side, best guess). Shaving sharp is an understatement. :cool:

Scales are bocote over red & white liners, stainless pin & lanyard tube.

I learned a lot on this one, made a few mistakes, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Hopefully it's not another 6 years for the next one... Comments, critique & suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

46689201652_818f04b99b_c.jpg

46689203132_acf07ddb3b_c.jpg

45826502995_a91a762fe3_c.jpg

I finally finished a knife!!:D

Technically, this is #2, but it's definitely my first usable, practical knife. The very first was this one, waaaaaayyy back in 2013: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/o1-chopper-edit-6-24-finished-pics-added.1080625/

It's 6-1/2" OAL, slightly over 3'' blade, 1095 steel hardened to 61Rc. I hollow ground (10'' wheel) the edge to 0.010/0.008'' before sharpening on paper wheels (10-15° per side, best guess). Shaving sharp is an understatement. :cool:

Scales are bocote over red & white liners, stainless pin & lanyard tube.

I learned a lot on this one, made a few mistakes, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Hopefully it's not another 6 years for the next one... Comments, critique & suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

46689201652_818f04b99b_c.jpg

46689203132_acf07ddb3b_c.jpg

45826502995_a91a762fe3_c.jpg

Nice.
If you are already tapering the tang on your second knife, you are probably ready for a keyhole antler handle on the next one!

Nice.
If you are already tapering the tang on your second knife, you are probably ready for a keyhole antler handle on the next one!

Ha! If I could figure out HOW a keyhole knife is made, I'd give it a shot!

Tapering the tang was surprisingly easy. Drilling holes in scales through a tapered tang was not - my pin hole ended up a little wonky.

Back