What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Got it, thanks, that's roughly what I figured. Very nice. For a minute I thought you might be onto something for my viking sword inscription (where the engraving isn't deep and doesn't pass through)...
Thanks
The basis of this “idea” is Dellana Dots , which I’m about to work on for slipjoint folders.

one Dellana dot, because my cutter broke, was meant to be 3
and some rayskin so I could learn how to process it.
this is a personal carry knife I use to test out different things on.

GGYWunb.jpg

So I had a few pieces of cut off S110V from some recent works. They weren't long enough for full size blades so I decided to make a few neckers/pocket blades. This one is a small push dagger, the first 4-bevel dagger I have ground on a machine and only the 3rd that I have done overall (one was a chisel grind).

This one is fresh off the grinder at 120 grit ready for hand work to true up the center line. What do you all think?

qxWIvPA.jpg

RFKs6Vs.jpg

0W68KUT.jpg

i2cZMQA.jpg

Finally had some time to play around in the shop this weekend, seems like there's always something else requiring my time/attention so it was nice to be able to putz around at my own pace and not have to rush to "fit things in".

Continued to clean up a small hatchet head I got as part of an auction lot; the peen and edges needed filing to fix some mushrooming but I'm leaving the tool/character marks, mostly just cleaning up and evening out the finish a little at a time.

The top cleaver (2nd down) is mostly done, just waiting for me to finish/seal the scales, attach them and put an edge on it. Finalized the shaping on the other cleaver (3rd down) after I decided the handle was too tall. Still lots of cleanup to do. The two cleavers are cut from an old circular saw blade, I started these before I had access to "real steel" and I decided to finish them instead of simply abandoning them when the new steel arrived. They are/were great learning projects for someone like me who needs to do things wrong 100 times to get the feel of things, especially with small practical pieces like how a grinder behaves when used in different ways/things to look out for/work hardening etc. Essentially, I could mess up making these in any way imaginable and not worry about wasting "good" materials.

Finally, while I had the grinder out I cut a blank from some O1 for my first attempt at a full heat treat/temper knife build. It's 1 1/2" x 5"ish x 1/8" hunter(ish) with a clip point (likely), but that might change as things progress.

32773582908_579eaf32cb.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
IMG_20181224_234052656.jpg

Made a Kiridashi for my grandfather a couple weeks back. First knife for me in 80crv2. Also first knife I did entirely on my 'disc grinder' and I just now noticed the radius on the upper corner. Not sure how I didn't see that in person. He loves it though and can't believe how sharp it is☺

But yep, still a noob here trying everything I can to learn

My latest that took far too long to complete and still hasn't been fully sharpened. I can't be the only one that hates sharpening, can I?

1080 steel with black walnut scales from a beam in a local barn. Pretty plain compared to some on here, I know.

UiKl2PP.jpg

Looks good to me. I too dislike the final sharpening. I convex my edges down to basically a zero edge to minimize the sharpening. Fortunately it makes a slicey-er kitchen knife as well.

Great work guys. Here is a slip joint I am working on.
Blade/spring are AEB-L and liners are titanium.

I am working on a jig to mill reliefs into the liners and will put up picts when done.

AnV57ed.jpg

dudF514.jpg

Trying to jump into this knife making thing full force, these (and a few more) are getting heat treated Friday morning. The bottom 2 are O1 & the rest are 1095.

My first knife was a big ugly chopper thing in O1 a few years ago. This is my first real effort at trying to make some more practical knife shaped objects, so it's mostly experimental to see how the material behaves & what I can get away with.

There is no way I could have done this without the wealth of information other makers have shared here - so THANK YOU to everyone who helps and contributes!!!!

46671754311_7015fa8d8d_c.jpg

My latest run of knives. All paring designs. The stick tangs are done in 3/32" 1095 and are flat ground to almost zero before putting a secondary micro bevel on them. They come in at a little under two ounces and are balanced at the top of the ferrule. HRC is 60-62 and clay quenched in Parks 50. You can see a bit of a dirty Hamon on them, nothing fancy, as it's my first attempt at doing Hamons.

The full tangs are 3/32" 01 and have a nice heft for chopping tasks, and well balanced. They all have a forced patina.

You may notice two different makers marks. Still working on a final I'm happy with. Also just using saltwater and battery source to make a dirty makers mark. I plan on getting a proper setup soonish.

72f8zzt.jpg

NoNeMq3.jpg

vaMQlhO.jpg

Some more kitcheny things I make in my shop.

WEp6ybe.jpg

8U7CArf.jpg

cQheGO5.jpg

TWpuiWw.jpg

OccamsBlade OccamsBlade

Those are awesome! How are you making the spoons - cold hammering? Using dapping blocks & punches, or some other way? This is definitely something I want to try!

OccamsBlade OccamsBlade

Those are awesome! How are you making the spoons - cold hammering? Using dapping blocks & punches, or some other way? This is definitely something I want to try!

Thanks! A bit of both, cold and hot hammering. I use the Atlas forge I have to heat the larger handle material to forge. For larger bowls and spoons I use a torch if they need to be annealed as I work. The material hardens as it's worked, so it needs to be softened up sometimes as you work it. Most of the small stuff can be cold forged though. So far I've been using a swage block for the spoons. I just got in a mushroom stake for doing ladles, and a spoon stake set as well. Also have ordered some stainless to try out. Only problem is this adds even more cost to the ever growing list of shop equipment, haha. But is a nice change of pace between doing knives.

Back