What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

And the other side:D

screenshot_20200623-023623_photos-jpg.1364284

This is a 86 layer 1084/15n20 billet that was split in half, then forge welded to a 1/8” 1084 core, for a total of 173 layers, then drilled for raindrop, and drawn out. Not very even, but it’s quite interesting to look at. I’m going to weld an 8670 or 1084 extension for tangs, and cut this in half for two knives.

62A6D3F1-FD22-4D76-BDCF-D6E4A2A539AC by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

9D3BF3A8-4F33-4CC5-8EE9-42723925295E by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

My good friend @kdnolin donated the 1084 for me to experiment with as I’m learning, so 1/2 is his, the other half is mine.

Last edited:
https://imgur.com/a/oevsT9K

Been having an issue with g10, figured I’ll try here before posting a new thread. I’m getting some discoloration when drilling my holes. I’m using a drill press on the lowest speed (I believe it’s ~750 rpm), going nice and slow being sure to clear the chips, and drilling on top of another piece of scrap g10. It’s happening on both sides of the hole. I’ve tried using two fairly new drill bits too, not brand new but I don’t think I’ve used them much, still feel sharp. I drill undersized then ream to .187. G10 pins slide in and out fairly easily so I don’t think it’s too tight. I know I didn’t burn it either, went slow grinding it and dunking in water even though they never really got warm.

Any ideas? I’m pretty clueless right now. I’m leaning towards it being the bits. Is there a certain type I should be using, these cheap standard bits don’t seem to be working too well. Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/oevsT9K

Been having an issue with g10, figured I’ll try here before posting a new thread. I’m getting some discoloration when drilling my holes. I’m using a drill press on the lowest speed (I believe it’s ~750 rpm), going nice and slow being sure to clear the chips, and drilling on top of another piece of scrap g10. It’s happening on both sides of the hole. I’ve tried using two fairly new drill bits too, not brand new but I don’t think I’ve used them much, still feel sharp. I drill undersized then ream to .187. G10 pins slide in and out fairly easily so I don’t think it’s too tight. I know I didn’t burn it either, went slow grinding it and dunking in water even though they never really got warm.

Any ideas? I’m pretty clueless right now. I’m leaning towards it being the bits. Is there a certain type I should be using, these cheap standard bits don’t seem to be working too well. Thanks in advance.
If you think on that white circle around hole i think that it is layer /last one or two of them/ of cloth in which epoxy is broken/peeled/detached .......sorry i can find right word . With hand sanding it should disappear

A shot or two from today's work, .080" 80crv2 at about 59, Osage Orange scales, orange & black liners.
ZEFEkbH.jpg

After a little shaping, sanding & 1st coat of oil, it looks more like a blade now.
Vs3nYTu.jpg

No choil, minimal ricasso, full flat grind, no finger grooves. Great features for a knife.

LOA for this one is only 5 3/4" so it's working, but it's very small for a fixed blade. It's the smallest one I make, but scaled down from a larger one, which has very similar lines. I'm going to "fatten" the butt end for a somewhat better grip on the next version, but I'll keep the LOA the same. It will look more like this one, the LOA is 7 1/4" & should be a bit more friendly to hold.

APFNHRv.jpg

Small changes as I go & things continue to evolve as I learn more. These were from a batch before the move from Tucson to Raton, so they sat for 2 years until I could start working in the new shop again after the move. Nice to have a place to work with enough room now.

If you think on that white circle around hole i think that it is layer /last one or two of them/ of cloth in which epoxy is broken/peeled/detached .......sorry i can find right word . With hand sanding it should disappear
Thanks Natlek. So is this pretty normal then or is there a way to avoid it? Hasn’t happened to me with other materials so I was just surprised

Niolox stainless with spalted birch and ebony

IMG-20200116-131602.jpg

I like well contoured handles.

IMG-20200129-161341.jpg

Just a bit over 3,5" with a custom bead out of the same birch

IMG-20200523-140020.jpg

Micromesh!! Yeah!!

IMG-20200526-101900.jpg

First time using an Ulticlip. It's tight!

IMG-20200602-201407.jpg

Discreet inside front pocket carry

IMG-20200627-100717.jpg

And I made myself a handy and comfortable EDC

IMG-20200627-154906.jpg

Back