What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

John Cahoon

JWC Custom Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here's a tanto like object I'm working on in NitroV. It's got a flared tip that went very well. I blue tape the starts and stops but always overrun but this time the over was dead even. A little bit of decent file work too. The guard nubs are add ons because I just can't abide a smooth transition from handle to blade, it always seems dangerous. Eventually I hope to get a paracord wrap on this. I've watched vids but there's no substitute for doing, right? WIP1.jpg WIP2.jpg WIP3.jpg

I'm still playing around with different belt finishes trying to decide which one I like best and where to stop. I have to say a clean 220 followed by green/blue Scotchbrite leaves a good user finish. Too bad them belts mess up the transitions a bit though, especially on thin high grinds.
EycFOSu.jpg

I'm still playing around with different belt finishes trying to decide which one I like best and where to stop. I have to say a clean 220 followed by green/blue Scotchbrite leaves a good user finish. Too bad them belts mess up the transitions a bit though, especially on thin high grinds.
EycFOSu.jpg
I haven't tried stopping at 220, that looks nice. I usually stop with an a30 trizact, then blend it all with a blue scotchbrite belt.

I haven't tried stopping at 220, that looks nice. I usually stop with an a30 trizact, then blend it all with a blue scotchbrite belt.

A30 is a fine finish. From there I would go with grey (very fine) Scotchbrite I think. Have you tried cork belts yet? They also give a good finish and do some blending. But they keep the transitions crisper!

A30 is a fine finish. From there I would go with grey (very fine) Scotchbrite I think. Have you tried cork belts yet? They also give a good finish and do some blending. But they keep the transitions crisper!
I have tried cork. I have an 800 and 1200 grit cork. I’ve tried them plain and loaded with green compound. I haven’t been happy with the finish I’ve gotten with them. I’m not positive that I’ve gotten them broken in properly just yet.

I have tried cork. I have an 800 and 1200 grit cork. I’ve tried them plain and loaded with green compound. I haven’t been happy with the finish I’ve gotten with them. I’m not positive that I’ve gotten them broken in properly just yet.

In my experience they don't need a whole lot of breaking in. A minute or two. I find it is important to have 100% finish before using them to get it nice. Eg a complete 400 grit finish with no scratches left from the previous grit, then 400 grit cork.

In my experience they don't need a whole lot of breaking in. A minute or two. I find it is important to have 100% finish before using them to get it nice. Eg a complete 400 grit finish with no scratches left from the previous grit, then 400 grit cork.
That’s more than likely my problem. I usually have a few deeper scratches I just didn’t get out. I’m getting better though. I even vary my grinding direction 45° each time to be sure all the deeper scratches are gone, but still, when I get to the higher grits, it seems like they appear out of nowhere. That’s why I like the scotchbrite belts, they can blend and hide that.

Last edited: