What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Arrived France
Sitting around reading
Waiting for blades and equipment to arrive. Grinder ordered

cg19hhP.jpg
What grinder did you end up going with?

Found this anvil yesterday. Approx 600 lbs. Sadly I have no way to move it at a reasonable cost. Anvils are pretty reasonable in price here in France compared to the current demand in the USA. The look on my face is probably me thinking about how the heck I’m going to move it

l1aFrGC.jpg

Arrived France
Sitting around reading
Waiting for blades and equipment to arrive. Grinder ordered

cg19hhP.jpg
Every time I see a fireplace now, I think to myself if it would be hot enough for heatreating, I heat-treated my first blade at the fireplace in my parents house. 😁

One of these is 200 euros at the hardwstore. It will lift and move it.

sOZWWIO.jpg

Found this anvil yesterday. Approx 600 lbs. Sadly I have no way to move it at a reasonable cost. Anvils are pretty reasonable in price here in France compared to the current demand in the USA. The look on my face is probably me thinking about how the heck I’m going to move it

l1aFrGC.jpg

No. I will keep and use it in France
I hope you don't have to carry it down the stairs then :) I am sure Stacy will have some ideas, but it shouldn't be impossible. Maybe you could ask around locally, car repair shops or similar if they know someone who has the right equipment to move it?

I hope you don't have to carry it down the stairs then :) I am sure Stacy will have some ideas, but it shouldn't be impossible. Maybe you could ask around locally, car repair shops or similar if they know someone who has the right equipment to move it?
Anything is possible. I’m not overly concerned. If i decide to do it, I will make it happen. I have three other anvils to look at in the next 2 days. Part of the problem is I don’t speak French.

Anything is possible. I’m not overly concerned. If i decide to do it, I will make it happen. I have three other anvils to look at in the next 2 days. Part of the problem is I don’t speak French.

Yeah, the language barrier is a tough one. Good luck with anvil hunting!

Getting away boar hunting for a few days, so decided to put other things on hold and throw together a couple of knives for this trip.

One proper belt knife for gutting and skinning in 3.3 mm AEB-L, OAL 210 mm.
And one small neck/pocket carry in 2mm 14c28n, 170 mm OAL.
Both have slightly convex geometry.
9wpZ13T.jpg
hKfbIK1.jpg
lHJgzmh.jpg

T6mflda.jpg
zZ4srkW.jpg
EI69DvC.jpg

So, I'm kind of impressed with myself, LOL.

A couple of months back, I got one of those 1x30 Belt Grinders from Harbor Freight, and although it worked well, I thought it was a little off. Took it apart, and turns out, the platen was seriously warped. So I banged it out, re-installed it and now it's at 90 degrees. I then decided to extended the small aluminum table so I bought some 5 inch by 24 inch by 3/16th plate steel, cut it down to fourteen inches, drilled a couple of holes, taped them, and screwed the plate onto the aluminum. Check every thing out, and now I have a much bigger, perfectly level work surface and a nice platen that's 90 degrees to it. Yay me!!

I also glued together the multi-piece scales I cut out. I'm not too sure they'll come out as expected as I got G-Flex everywhere, LOL. Pics when they dry.

I just bought some red paper micarta to use for handles for a cleaver that I’m working on, and I’m wondering how to finish it. I’ve never used paper micarta and it seems similar to g-10. Should I polish it? Or should I use another material other than paper micarta? Polished doesn’t seem good for a cleaver handle.

I just bought some red paper micarta to use for handles for a cleaver that I’m working on, and I’m wondering how to finish it. I’ve never used paper micarta and it seems similar to g-10. Should I polish it? Or should I use another material other than paper micarta? Polished doesn’t seem good for a cleaver handle.
It's pretty grippy even polished. You could polish the block first to be sure you will like it.
Many people finish it on a buffer for that clean shiny look. I don't have a buffer so I do some wet sanding on it to a fine grit.

It's pretty grippy even polished. You could polish the block first to be sure you will like it.
Many people finish it on a buffer for that clean shiny look. I don't have a buffer so I do some wet sanding on it to a fine grit.
Ok, good to know, thanks! I will just polish it then.

Back