What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Nice job on the Fuller on that dagger, How did you do that one?
    Before or after the bevels?

2. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    I round my spines the same way using a 120 J flex belt. I also leave the radiuses on the spine at 120 grit so there is a slight amount of traction for using pinch grip or your off hand on the spine.

3. GHEzell

GHEzell

Nov 14, 2001
    Sheath making today and the rest of the week... man I so dislike leatherwork, but at least I'm down to the fittings now.

Cut grind deburr peen drill deburr fit adjust refit deburr rivet polish.... joy.

4. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    That's how I always felt until I got Paul Long's sheath videos and watched them several times. Leather work still drives me crazy sometimes, and I am still way too slow at it... But--- Paul's videos helped build an enthusiasm to where I actually enjoy making sheaths now. :)

5. GTH11

GTH11

Feb 21, 2011
    Heres a few shots of whats brewing around here! lol
    Finally got my forging gear under one roof, still learning how to use everything though!
    Couple of pics of some knife projects I have going....

Attached Files:

6. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    There was a visible improvement in your leather work when that happened.

7. PT Doc

PT Doc

Dec 24, 2011
    Great looking press! Who is the maker? How many tons! How well does it roll around? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

8. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    Thanks Sam.

Looking good Greg! :)

Here's what's on my bench right now... a MESS. :D A lot of guys seem to think I never make a mess in the shop. I actually ALWAYS make a mess... I just like for everything to have a place so that it's easy to clean up and know where everything is.

And I wish I could get a truckload of this stabilized, spalted Oak Burl!!! This is the second block I have used from my stash, and the stuff is crazy cool (IMHO). The pic was taken at a hand sanded 1200X grit not quite finished, finish. ;)

benchwork nov a.jpg benchwork nov b.jpg

9. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    Thanks Nick. Usually I'm using the shoe shine only after knocking the edges off the spine with an 80 grit.

Looks like I need to add some steps.

Thanks man. :)

10. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Humma, beautifull wood!

11. Hengelo_77

Mar 2, 2006
    Finaly managed to get some pics.
    Working on two scandies at the moment. I found it a lot harder to get lines that look right, then it would seem.
    They have a subtile beauty imho.

Here I'm working on my first scandy sheeth. A very different ball game compared to the few "normal" sheets I've made. A good book helps.
    [​IMG]

2nd one is wallnut wood with my first domed pinn :D
    Love this domed pinn, but talk about patience! Tapping a few hundered times wearing ear protection, but it is something I want to get better at.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The knife and my extra special modded doming hammer :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  12. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    Hengelo- are you using a setting anvil for the pin? They make "dished" anvils that might make that much easier, although I haven't tried mine yet. I want to say that I picked it up at Tandy Leather, but it's been a few years. Knife and sheath look great too.

13. Hengelo_77

Mar 2, 2006
    Thnx.
    It's my first time doming and had to find a way that works. Didn's know about those special anvils, but that sounds good.
    I clamped the pin between two pieces of wood with a hole drilled in them and domed one side first.
    Then put it trough the knife, balanced the domed side on an other ballpeen hammer and did the other side.
    It's these small detaills that I enjoy most!

14. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    I thought your hammer was photoshopped when I first saw it, LOL. Doming pins is a heck of a lot easier if you can put the knife in a fixed position to free up both hands so you can hold a hammer in one and a punch in the other. :)

Speaking of leather work, that's what I'm doing right now too.... :)

benchwork nov c.jpg

15. quint

quint

Nov 29, 2011
    Thats what I have been doing. Had a customer want his belt worked on and ended up doing a replacement sheath for him as well. Its been a little while since I did a sheath but finished up yesterday.

Also working on some saya chisels but they are sitting in the forge right now coasting down, Ill get pics when I get a chance to pull them out.

ostrich sheath 004.jpg

16. 69_knives

69_knives

Nov 20, 2008
    Not knife related but I came up with an easy multi angle tablet stand made from a chunk of 2x4 and multiple passes on a table or miter saw.

tablet not shown as I was taking the picture with it.

[​IMG]

17. Bowman73

Bowman73

Nov 5, 2012
    Well...here's my newbie contribution. My shop is a corner in my garage. I use hand files, a drill press, and a 4x36 belt/disc sander; bare bones right now. This blade is my third blade. It is my first stub tang, first hamon, and it will be my first time using antler for the handle. I am happy to get the hamon and that I didn't break the blade to get it. I'm hooked now...

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

18. Jeremy Barnard

Jeremy Barnard

Jun 15, 2006
    I got this machine in last week. I've been working on fixing it up. Good so far.

[​IMG]

19. GHEzell

GHEzell

Nov 14, 2001
    Bowman73, that is a very fine blade to be your third.... you're off to a good start.

20. Hengelo_77

Mar 2, 2006
    The hammer does look strange :D I cut the other end off to save weight.
    What kind of punch do you use?
    I've been looking at goldsmith doming punches, is that what you mean?
    [​IMG]