What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I have a pretty exciting weekend lined up. First, I bought a mill for slotting guards. It's an extravagance but my carpal tunnel syndrome is slowing me down too much. I have seven knives that need guards so I just bit the bullit. My 9" 1* taper disk came in from Nathan, and I have a 1.5hp 3ph motor and vfd to control it. I now have all the supplies for my 2x72, and decided to do a proper vfd, rather than the step pullies I was going to run originally. The 2hp 3ph motor will be delivered Tuesday. I know I won't get it all done, but I will be enjoying some cool beverages and playing in the shop. I'll take some pics of how far I get at the end of the weekend.

Willie,

I am not a doctor but I would like to tell you that a few years ago my MD doctor said It looked like I was getting the first stages of Carpel tunnel syn with my complaints etc, In my right forearm and wrist especially. I mentioned this to a chiropractor that I saw from time to time and he adjusted my elbows and the pain was relieved by over 90%.

So much wrist and forearm & handwork can pull your elbow out of the joint, so to speak.
So you might want to have it checked out?

Congrats on the new toys and you will be very have with speed control. I find that each kind and grit of belt has a speed sweet spot where the work best and sometimes you just can get there with step pulleys.

I think it makes a lot of sense on certain knives. I've been adding a small ground chamfer on the top edges on a couple of my blades, really like the look and feel, but doesn't work on every knife either.

but doesn't work on every knife either.

Well yes, but you are far more likely to make a broad range of knives than me. :p

Rounded spines are critical on these.

IMAG1192_zps902697e9.jpg

Willie,

I am not a doctor but I would like to tell you that a few years ago my MD doctor said It looked like I was getting the first stages of Carpel tunnel syn with my complaints etc, In my right forearm and wrist especially. I mentioned this to a chiropractor that I saw from time to time and he adjusted my elbows and the pain was relieved by over 90%.

So much wrist and forearm & handwork can pull your elbow out of the joint, so to speak.
So you might want to have it checked out?

Congrats on the new toys and you will be very have with speed control. I find that each kind and grit of belt has a speed sweet spot where the work best and sometimes you just can get there with step pulleys.

Mine was pretty advanced. I had surgery on each wrist a couple years ago. I have to watch repetitive use to prevent recurring injury. I do have mild nerve pinching in my right elbow, but not in my left. In my area, you have to have a nerve conduction asse4ssment before they will operate. My doctor told me my case was one of the worst she has seen, but I have a pretty high pain threshold, and tend to not notice the early stages of discomfort. I walked on a broken foot for a week when I was in high school prior to going to the doctor LOL. I think I really damaged the wrists racing MX when I was younger. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I finished up a couple of knives today. The yellow one is for a co-worker, and has probably the best sheath I have made yet...

IMAG0266_zpsc6ad0b42.jpg

IMAG0265_zpsfdfdd7f6.jpg

The first time I have ground a swedge on a knife-
IMAG0261_zps1bb1be65.jpg

IMAG0263_zps5eb0d2c5.jpg

I posted a picture of the recent returns from Peters. These are the two hunting knives in that pic. Also the start of my disc grinder. The motor shaft was 7/8" and needed turned to 5/8". Now to build the pedestal. Jess
sycomoredroppoint.jpgwormwood.jpgdiscmotor.jpg

I haven't really made any knives in close to a year. My personal life had flipped upside down. I had a very abusive landlord who tried to pin a $6000 plumbing bill on me, which was not my fault. I managed to get away from him and his shoddy house without much fuss, but for the first time in awhile, I found myself back at mom and dad's. My fiancee back at her mom and dad's as well. All of my belongings and my knifemaking equipment were packed in a lonely storage shed. My job is not helping matters. The state is furloughing everyone, and the agency I work with has really hit rock bottom. I went to college to be able to have this career. It was very bright at first, but it seems that they can no longer support their employees financially.

After about close to a year of this struggle, I am nowhere near out of the woods, but have managed to find an apartment, get all of my things out of storage, and rebuild my belt grinder over a few weekends. I made a portable setup with my Coote so I can wheel it out in the backyard of my parents house like when I first started. I am a weekend warrior now. Its tough to put something down like this for awhile. Almost had to re-learn everything and get the feel back for it.

I had to completely start over. I have four worn out grinding belts to my name, and they have helped me grind out what you see here.

I hope to never have to go through anything like that again. In making these knives, my whole attitude on life has changed. It's definitely filled a void in my life. I never want to lose this again. I have had some amazing support here on Bladeforums in the past week, and I'd like to send out a thanks to everyone.

I haven't really made any knives in close to a year. My personal life had flipped upside down. I had a very abusive landlord who tried to pin a $6000 plumbing bill on me, which was not my fault. I managed to get away from him and his shoddy house without much fuss, but for the first time in awhile, I found myself back at mom and dad's. My fiancee back at her mom and dad's as well. All of my belongings and my knifemaking equipment were packed in a lonely storage shed. My job is not helping matters. The state is furloughing everyone, and the agency I work with has really hit rock bottom. I went to college to be able to have this career. It was very bright at first, but it seems that they can no longer support their employees financially.

After about close to a year of this struggle, I am nowhere near out of the woods, but have managed to find an apartment, get all of my things out of storage, and rebuild my belt grinder over a few weekends. I made a portable setup with my Coote so I can wheel it out in the backyard of my parents house like when I first started. I am a weekend warrior now. Its tough to put something down like this for awhile. Almost had to re-learn everything and get the feel back for it.

I had to completely start over. I have four worn out grinding belts to my name, and they have helped me grind out what you see here.

I hope to never have to go through anything like that again. In making these knives, my whole attitude on life has changed. It's definitely filled a void in my life. I never want to lose this again. I have had some amazing support here on Bladeforums in the past week, and I'd like to send out a thanks to everyone.

Glad to hear things are turning around.

Don those look good already. That top one looks like it is going to have a very nice looking handle.

Well took the 45min drive to Harbor freight, I usually go there once in a while to get things like wire brushes for my forging, latex gloves things of that nature that are usually half the price and work fine. Well ended up getting a 4x6 bandsaw since I had a 20% off coupon. Holy heck this thing was a pain to setup. Had probably 8 or so screws left over. Took off some gaurds and made a mild steel plate for the vertical position. Got it dialed in last night. Must say I was a little apprehensive but it is cutting really good (knocks on wood). I followed the adjustments per a youtube video and cut some round stock 52100 thats 1.5 " thick. Did a great job.

Finally have a reasonable way to cut out some gaurd stock and profile some blades.

Those are some fine looking grinds on those blades.
I had to stay out of the shop for health reasons for almost one year a few years back.
In some ways, It was nice to start again and have a fresh appreciation for knife making.

Glad to hear things are picking up for you! Someday you will look back and laugh at those hard times.

I have posted pictures of my machines. But I have never posted any actual knives. These are my first. Two stock removal O-1 knives. I tried really hard to get a shot that wasn't too hard on the eyes. I have also been playing with a rounded spine, but I just thought it would look better on the knife.

This is a shot of my make-shift parallel bar/ file guide.
attachment.php

This is a bowie I am making, with two integral liners I milled out yesterday.
attachment.php

A skinner that needs a lot more work.
attachment.php

Posting from a phone is a heck of a chore.

Last edited:
Hey Josh.. That sounds like a bad deal. It sounds like things are turning around for you and it is nice to see your back at the grinder !! Sounds like your young enough to see a few more down turns but more often than not you will land on your feet. Take care and go get some belts and some more steel,

I like your knives Josh Mason, and how you seem to keep your head up.
It feels good to be able to do something constructive again after life has been beating you.

I feel like I wasted my whole weekend. It wasn't waste in the grand scheme of life, but very little shop time. My mill and motors are still in their boxes :( :( :(. I had relatives show up unexpectedly, and I accidentally sliced a sheath that was almost complete forcing me to start over. I redid the sheath, and had to complete two papers for my courses. I did get to working on the hamons in two knives, and got some sanding time in on the dagger and bowie I am working on. My second paper is due Wednesday, so I will be playing in the shop later this week. I need to get seven guards done now.

Back