What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

WmZgygD.jpg

OZfD2lM.jpg

The burlap stays rough feeling and the carbon fiber polished up more. Next batch will be using the 2 ton press; the first block I did with the 2 ton press seems to have less voids than the batches with the 6 ton press, which may squeeze more of the epoxy out?
You're throwing away too much material and risk of voids.Why you don t make them in dimensions suitable for a single handle ? Say 2 x 5 inch and whatever thickness you want ?

Once I get the void issue figured out, I should be able to get 5 blocks of material out of the mold as well as a piece for bolsters or ferrule. I was going for a 1" thick block before flattening, but I ended up using less burlap, so it wasn't as thick as I was hoping it would be. With the cloth fabrics, I seem to get less voids/bubbles with the 6 ton jack. With the carbon fiber, I get less voids with the 2 ton.

Working on my first kitchen knife. A 240mm gyuto. Started with 3/32" AEB-L. Heat treated and LN to 61 RC. All bevel grinding post heat treat today. Still have some grinding to do. Have a few 320 grit marks to take out then going to do a scotchbrite belt. It'll get a gabon ebony ferrule, 1/4" 416SS spacer and stabilized bocote in octagonal wa handle. Lots of firsts on this one; kitchen, longest, hidden tang, spacer, ferrule (have doen bolsters before), octagonal, AEB-L (it started to bow on me a bit but is very close to perfectly straight now).

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Thanks,Natlek! Now let me ask , does the full Tang knife above need a sharpening choil?
Debatable question :)Depends on several factors .If you have big Radius on plunges and you use guided sharpening system like I use , choil is good thing to be there to break that radius so diamond plate can sharpen whole edge without digging in edge on one side .If you sharpening or put initial edge on belt grinder that Radius on plunge don t mater at all so no need for choil .

I m trying to explain this ..................the blue color is a diamond , the red square is the sharpening choil and the red circle is where the diamond will be dig in edge because of radius in plunge if there was no choil
ea2ZCs2.png

VgiyL43.jpg

had to turn the pins down and one of them was just a skootch too fat, so pressing this handle assembly together had its challenges. It all went together and seems like a tight fit all around- but we'll see, once it comes time to go out and goof off with it.

I do understand choil philosophy. It's another thing I go back and forth with. One thing about a sharpening choil is, say if you were to plunge the knife into a bag of chicken feed and open with a slashing motion ( and a grin for dad when he notices your new knife!) Then the knife would catch in the choil and come to an embarrassing halt! However it makes sharpening so much easier I've decided to go with a coil on this knife!1632745652554.jpg

I do understand choil philosophy. It's another thing I go back and forth with. One thing about a sharpening choil is, say if you were to plunge the knife into a bag of chicken feed and open with a slashing motion ( and a grin for dad when he notices your new knife!) Then the knife would catch in the choil and come to an embarrassing halt! However it makes sharpening so much easier I've decided to go with a coil on this knife!View attachment 1648767
Well , that is another problem with sharpening choil .Make it like triangle so it will not catch in the choil ? If i can found picture from one knife i will show you how it look .Look very cool to me .....unusual but effective.
4bXhvGX.png

Back