What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

Okay, after finishing the ulu grinding, I have to say I question whether the flap wheel is faster. If it is, I haven't figured out the right technique. I was getting frustrated with the seeming slow progress, and bumped over to the grinder to finish establishing the geometry.

IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG

Good morning friends, I have a commission for a Prevail to complete shortly. So at least it can serve as a good example of where I am with those. I believe I've only made the one saber ground Prevail so far, this green one, which I have been hanging onto and wearing at the hip lately.

View attachment 1692714

It was meant to be robust and slicey, and the tip has proven itself to be quite tough on a few occasions.

View attachment 1692715

Another angle and you can see it's user status appear. It's funny, I don't even notice the scratches when I hold the knife.

View attachment 1692716

View attachment 1692717
Didn't really notice the pin arrangement until I looked at the pics in the passaround thread. May I ask why the 3rd one is "out of line" with the others?

And here is what's cooking in the shop. Top two are 8670, a new model without a name yet and Americana Dymalux scales, then the Prevail (spoken for) with Red Suretouch, and a boot knife in AEB-L with Suretouch as well. Not quite done yet.

View attachment 1693120
If possible??? Could you line up (like this) the new model, the edChef, and a Prevail? thanks.
they are pretty similar, I'm wondering if your new/top model here was a morph between the two?
Thanks.

May I ask why the 3rd one is "out of line" with the others?

Non-conformist, I guess. I didn't ask. ;)

ETA: I should add this wasn't meant to be flippant. The truth is I didn't think of it as a hard and fast rule for pin alignment, and at the time, it felt right there. Of course now I am second guessing myself, thank you very much. 😭🤣

Last edited:
Non-conformist, I guess. I didn't ask. ;)

ETA: I should add this wasn't meant to be flippant. The truth is I didn't think of it as a hard and fast rule for pin alignment, and at the time, it felt right there. Of course now I am second guessing myself, thank you very much. 😭🤣
Sorry, it just looked a little out of place (pun intended?)

It was less trouble than I expected to grind, and I got it nice and thin. It's sitting under the kitchen table on top of Smokey's months worth of cat food wearing clamps while the glue cures. And painters tape on the blade of course.

20211207_223447.jpg

David this one circled reminds me a bit of a Hudson Bay type knife.....sure like the looks of it. see its a custom one for someone....whats the dimensions gonna be..

if its allowed by owner, wouldn't mind seeing the finish product when done. thank you.

jbmonkey jbmonkey sorry I forgot to mention the specs on that knife for you. It is .140" thick AEB-L, which will be hardened to 63 RC, almost 13" overall with just over an 8" blade.

Last edited:
What do you do with the remnants of the sheet after it's been cut? Seems like there might be a few bits and bobs that could be fashioned from some of that.
Could you melt it down, and forge it into a billet of something useful?

Back