What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

Deep pocket clips are deeply confusing to me .

The clip is still obviously showing ! Like a cat " hiding" under a couch ...with his whole tail stuck out . 😼

Anyone concerned about you carrying a knife is going to assume that's what the clip is mounted on .

Plus those clips just make it hard and slow , to draw the knife .
8tt5wm.jpg

let's hope it's the system being super way over cautious.....thats how it is here. if not be safe David. hurricanes typically don't scare me, tornados do.......
Tornados seem capricious.
Yeah but hurricanes can be huge ! Plus "storm surge" flooding .

You got to vacate from whole regions ...or else . If it's coming , not going to miss you .

Main reason we never moved to hurricane country . I'd just get interested in a place like Mexico Beach ...then BLAM ...it's gone ! :eek:

Maybe it's just, I'm used to living at the edge of tornado alley , all my life .

Last edited:
Hurricans can be very much akin to tactical nukes, nothing but concrete slabs around for miles.

Tornados seem capricious.
To put it mildly .

Used to own some property on a secondary highway, not far from town . Tornado went thru and tore down the old abandoned house and barn , to the foundations .

Spared the neighbors on both sides , but tore up several homes further down the road .

Terrifying , but not 100miles wide with flooding .

Not bad , but your clip is too loose fitting in the pocket for my carry ...and still slower than the wave method . 🖖

My knife is open already , barely clear of the pocket . Open , locked and ready to cut .

Yours is still closed . Tactically unsound and vulnerable . Can't cut and can be blocked , smothered or grabbed .

Is this a practical concern normally ? Nope , but could be critical in an emergency or SD situation . 🤷‍♂️
I don't think that draw was slow at all.

Yeah but hurricanes can be huge ! Plus "storm surge" flooding .

You got to vacate from whole regions ...or else . If it's coming , not going to miss you .

Main reason we never moved to hurricane country . I'd just get interested in a place like Mexico Beach ...then BLAM ...it's gone ! :eek:

Maybe it's just, I'm used to living at the edge of tornado alley , all my life .
I've been through hurricanes since I was born. rode through so many ive lost count. that's why I'm not scared. ya know it's coming. plenty of time to prep and/or leave, etc. there are tornados in hurricanes and that ain't fun.

the storm surge wipes out islands and coastlines, not so much the hurricane winds minus those tornados.

that house in the intersection was my cousins. storm surge took it off the posts and left it in the intersection. total loss. all that damage is water, not wind.....

DocJD DocJD

I never watched that full video of storm damage I linked. it also has my wifes cousins home that got destroyed inthe storm surge....

person doing the drone video did a nice before and after.

Screenshot-20240614-131850-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20240614-131921-Samsung-Internet.jpg
Heartbreaking .

Saving life and limb comes first , of course ...but returning to face your home destroyed , would be devastating .

I would like to disclose some WIP pics of the Lucky Dog Knife co project. Here are the twelve spey point blades and six sheephawks for the order, freehand ground near to final geometry on 36 grit Edge Core ceramic belts.

74053057750-2003229-B-4214-4-BA6-96-C8-048894-B5-AD1-E.jpg

IMG-7482.jpg

IMG-7492.jpg

IMG-7493.jpg

IMG-7494.jpg

IMG-7495.jpg

IMG-7496.jpg

IMG-7498.jpg

I would like to disclose some WIP pics of the Lucky Dog Knife co project. Here are the twelve spey point blades and six sheephawks for the order, freehand ground near to final geometry on 36 grit Edge Core ceramic belts.

74053057750-2003229-B-4214-4-BA6-96-C8-048894-B5-AD1-E.jpg

IMG-7482.jpg

IMG-7492.jpg

IMG-7493.jpg

IMG-7494.jpg

IMG-7495.jpg

IMG-7496.jpg

IMG-7498.jpg
I'm so excited for these! These look fantastic and thanks for sharing the progress. 🤩

It's kind of a weird point for activity right now. I still have a few MagnaCut orders from last year outstanding after the heat treatment bottle neck, but awaiting some replies on them before I dig into them. I got one reply just now, so will be starting that one, as it is now priority number one, given the wait the gentleman has endured.

And then it will be back to Lucky Dog and Empire Outfitters until they are done. Lucky Dog technically has second place to Empire, since that order came first, but due to an unexpected black Suretouch shortage, I have ended up starting Empire a little later than expected, which is why I have gotten ahead a bit on Lucky Dog.

Now I have managed to find some some grey and black which Craig has approved using for however many Mini Insomniacs I can and black G10 for the rest - although since that communication I managed to find a couple partial sheets of black Suretouch that my Canadian knife maker supply guy was using for his own knives, which he agreed to send me. So all that is on the way now, which means as soon as I finish the MagnaCut knife I heard back on options for tonight, I will be pausing the Lucky Dog project to grind Empire's Mini Insomniacs, so I can have them ready for handles when the material arrives. Then finish building those, ship 'em, and back to Lucky Dog, inserting the remaining few outstanding MagnaCut orders whenever the replies come back on those.

And then back to the Multialloy run, including Hudson Bays, Wharnanimouses (Wharnanimeese/Wharnanimi), Filets, etc, starting with the ones deposits had been paid on, whereupon the projected completion date I gave of "By or Before Fall 2024" still holds true.

Fixed the wonky grind on my Keramin today. The edge bevel on the right side of the blade was too obtuse so when trying to sharpen it 20 degrees per side in the sharpmaker rods the stone never hit the apex on that side. It also made the blade look like it was crooked. Should be fixed now but I’ll know for sure when I microbevel back at home on the sharp maker later. Just did it on my 220 grit ceramic belt off the platen (ie where the belt is slack). Also made the edge a little more acute than factory. You can see on the left side of the blade where the belt touched the transition line between grind and flat/swedge. A small price to pay for geometry that will actually cut and be sustainable to sharpen. Took about three minutes. Which is funny because I’ve had the knife for as many years, just sitting in the box.

IMG-7515.jpg

IMG-7516.jpg

Also got the MagnaCut order I mentioned last night ground and assembled. Awaiting glue to cure which takes half an hour. OD G10 scales with forest green pins and it will get a checker pattern for good measure. Gonna be a light and fast waterproof knife.

IMG-7517.jpg

Back