• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

What's with "please email for pictures"?

Maybe it's just the forums I'm in but "email for pictures" often seems to happen with posts for items that tend to sell quickly and are in limited supply. So the buyer is forced to choose between saying I'll take it with the one Pic or no Pic or email and hope no one else says they'll take it which sellers are well aware of.

I also get the forum size limit sucks and can often be wonky. What I can't stand is someone who posts a sales post and says they will post them "later." if you can do it later you can do it now.

Yeah what's with the email me for photos? More than likely I don't want you to have my email address if you're too naive to upload photos. Actually, I don't want your knives either. The slackers on here need to get with the program. It's not that hard.

Maybe it's just the forums I'm in but "email for pictures" often seems to happen with posts for items that tend to sell quickly and are in limited supply. So the buyer is forced to choose between saying I'll take it with the one Pic or no Pic or email and hope no one else says they'll take it which sellers are well aware of.

I also get the forum size limit sucks and can often be wonky. What I can't stand is someone who posts a sales post and says they will post them "later." if you can do it later you can do it now.

And if you didn't have time for photos now, wait to post your sales thread until you do.

Yeah what's with the email me for photos? More than likely I don't want you to have my email address if you're too naive to upload photos. Actually, I don't want your knives either. The slackers on here need to get with the program. It's not that hard.

That's exactly it. They're being lazy. Then I won't bother with thinking about their sales post either.

What I can't stand is someone who posts a sales post and says they will post them "later." if you can do it later you can do it now.
As a person guilty of this I will disagree. I made my first thread here selling something I had not taken the pictures so I posted a note that pictures were coming. It took probably 20 minutes to go take the photos download them to PC upload and post them to the thread. I forget what all I had going on but I did not do the photos immediately after posting I think I had to clean the area I used to take the photos first. I also sometimes post from the office and due to my own peculiar methods I won't upload photos directly from my phone assuming I even have photos on my phone already or the knife(s) handy to photograph. I do get photos loaded and available within 24hrs of a post if not less. It isn't ideal but sometimes I will procrastinate on the whole task until a start a piece and the thread piece creates the commitment needed to get myself in gear.

As a person guilty of this I will disagree. I made my first thread here selling something I had not taken the pictures so I posted a note that pictures were coming. It took probably 20 minutes to go take the photos download them to PC upload and post them to the thread. I forget what all I had going on but I did not do the photos immediately after posting I think I had to clean the area I used to take the photos first. I also sometimes post from the office and due to my own peculiar methods I won't upload photos directly from my phone assuming I even have photos on my phone already or the knife(s) handy to photograph. I do get photos loaded and available within 24hrs of a post if not less. It isn't ideal but sometimes I will procrastinate on the whole task until a start a piece and the thread piece creates the commitment needed to get myself in gear.
I guess that begs the question why not just wait to post until the pics are ready?

I guess that begs the question why not just wait to post until the pics are ready?

I have a theory about this which IMHO is generationally based! I was born in the tail end of what is commonly referred to as the Boomer Generation, so to me this behavior implies a lack of immediate effort translating to laziness.

However, if one is from later generations, specifically from the Millennials, there's apparently a new catch phrase / mantra for this strategy referred to as, "Move Fast - Break Things" <shrugs>

I don't wish to start a vigorous generational debate of old vs new, geezer vs young buck but I truly believe that there's something definitive to this effect. If you care to look up my own FS postings, you will see that I pour a lot of time and effort into what I list and I do enjoy a very high success rate, but by the same token I see that other folks with very little effort also manage to achieve some successful results. The latter will not motivate me to change my ways, but I think that some people are conditioned to both put little effort and also to accept offerings which have little effort put into them. As always, YMMV.

My specific answer is in my post you quote at least for my singular example here on BF of selling something. I agree that it doesn't look good but sometimes people work in strange and different ways.

Clearly I have too much time on my hands as I just re-read this entire long-legged thread to see if I'd posted in it back when.

Anyway, we have sellers here who have time to have a knife hobby, time to buy them, time to sell them, presumably time enough to maintain, play with, and use them, as well as the time to participate in a forum and post about knife-related topics. I guess that with all that there's clearly no time to take and post pics of them in a sales thread. Hmmmm....

The other thing here is that I and many others who've written various posts on BF have expressed that they like to buy from those who are invested in participating in the discussion and not just here to buy and sell. Generally, the former are active in various threads where posting pictures of knives is de rigueur and I would expect and generally find their sales threads to feature excellent knife pics.

The Exchange, aside from being a sales tool, is a great place to look at and learn about knives that one isn't familiar with if there are good pics there. But, then again, I clearly have too much time on my hands....

Clearly I have too much time on my hands as I just re-read this entire long-legged thread to see if I'd posted in it back when.
Pro tip: If you go to the search bar at the top of the page, you can click "search this thread only" by user name.

Of course, you wouldn't have had the pleasure of re-reading the whole thread. ;)

Pro tip: If you go to the search bar at the top of the page, you can click "search this thread only" by user name.

Of course, you wouldn't have had the pleasure of re-reading the whole thread. ;)
Appreciate the tip, as it hadn't occurred to me even though I'm familiar with that feature. I did want to read what had been written along the way, though. Indeed, some of it was pleasurable, and some not so much. o_O

Pretty simple to drop a photo into any post. You then get prompted to show full image or thumbnail. If you click either, a photos is posted but why not go for full image?

I don't get it either. May be different posting from a phone but from a lap top or desk top - couldn't be easier - no host site needed Ray

I agree and believe me, I’m not the most computer savvy guy around. If I can do it I would think anyone with a computer could also.

Vr
Mark T.

''Such a cute little “crap” imoji. Pure genius. Did you work on that all morning?'' --> Yes sir....yes i did!

Do you agree with the poster SpyderPhreak was responding to and are taking offense at the response? Or just taking offense at the response and his use of poop?

Oh and the Poop :poop: emoji takes as much energy as the Eye Roll :rolleyes: emoji you have in your signature? ;) <---- oh that one too

Do you agree with the poster SpyderPhreak was responding to and are taking offense at the response? Or just taking offense at the response and his use of poop?

Oh and the Poop :poop: emoji takes as much energy as the Eye Roll :rolleyes: emoji you have in your signature? ;) <---- oh that one too

So, it is given that i was offended and i have to tell you by whom? Too many options :eek:
If you really want an answer: i agree with SpyderPhreak but i am not offended..i don't have time for it, anynow, i'm typing :D

So, it is given that i was offended and i have to tell you by whom? Too many options :eek:
If you really want an answer: i agree with SpyderPhreak but i am not offended..i don't have time for it, anynow, i'm typing :D

Was curious is all.

Looking back, I see that I didn't read all of the posts the SP quoted. Your post makes more sense now. That's my bad.

However, I will say that comedy is mostly about timing.

Was curious is all.

Looking back, I see that I didn't read all of the posts the SP quoted. Your post makes more sense now. That's my bad.

However, I will say that comedy is mostly about timing.

No problem, i believe i got a bit defensive as well, sorry for that. Wait..what? you're saying that my timing was off? i take my apology back man :D

Anytime I see a listing that says "email for pics " I just move on . How stupid is it to ask people to email and then have to send different people pics? Just post them in the sales thread silly . One and done.

To be fair this is not the way it always works either. I always post plenty of pics---at least the lockup, centering, and both sides of a knife. Then you get the requests for more pics. When that happens I always ask what exactly they are looking for in an attempt to waste LESS time. Now, this has happened to me maybe 5x so far but every time I've followed through I end up never hearing back even ONE word from those types.

Some people just like to kick tires and waste time.

test
WIwFB4R

Clicked on an ad this morning & saw about a dozen imgur links. I closed the ad. Call it laziness if you want; but I'm not chasing a bunch of links. If a person can't manage to get the images to appear in the ad, at least put them in an album & link to that.

(I'm actually surprised this thread is still going. Ads without pictures suck - it really is that simple)

Back