Wheeler's Steel * Stuck in the metal with you

Nick and Lorien, thanks so much for this absolutely wonderful w.i.p. I'm gonna print the whole thing in color, and keep it in my shop, and probably read it a few times more!

Thanks!!!

definitely the best WIP thread I've ever read. informative, detailed, with a fantastic knife, full of secrets and tips.
I can only say thank you guys!

definitely the best WIP thread I've ever read. informative, detailed, with a fantastic knife, full of secrets and tips.
I can only say thank you guys!

I second that! It truly is the best WIP I've seen in any of the top 5 (most popular) knife forums.

445.jpg

This is weird. Been reading this for a few hours on and off, being amused by his name as it's the same as mine until bam! there's his face that looks similar to mine (I even sport a that lip goatee too)!

IMAG0097.jpg

All in all, enjoyable journey I've witnessed here. If I know myself as well as I do, I would expect no less from that Nick too. :p

So glad I saw Lorien's other thread with the sheath pictures pop up on one of my relatively infrequent visits to this subforum. I bookmarked this thread pretty much after the first post. Sincerely fantastic. I learned so much looking this over, and will learn more as I expand my skill base enough to understand more of what you did. Mind truly blown. Thank you so much for this journey through the knifemaker's art. Inspirational doesn't even cover it (actually, intimidated might have to fit into the picture as well). I would buy the book if this thread got turned into one, incidentally. Now, to start saving for a better grinder. Sorry for the necro.

Thank you.

I've read this entire thread several times and learned more from it then from ANY of my "renowned author" knifemaking books (although the Ron Lake section of "How to Make Folding Knives" is excellent and holds up to this day). I am deeply grateful for the effort that Nick and Lorien put into this WIP. If I'd paid $50 for this as a book/DVD I'd feel it was money well invested................

This should be a sticky along with the Charles Vestal WIP thread ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/659417-Fighter-Step-by-Step?highlight=charles+wip )

Thank you, thank you both.........................

Syn

I'll flagrantly speak for Nick as well when I say this; thank you, and we're very glad you enjoyed and benefitted from this thread.

I'm using this knife regularly, since I made the sheath, and it performs as good as it looks. As my good buddy Steven pointed out, Nick grinds em 'thin to win it'!

I've put this knife through some serious business, and not a chip or roll in the edge to be found. Sings like a bell, and it's a true pleasure to use and carry.

Any chance of getting this as a sticky? perhaps in the knifemakers area where people will be looking for instruction? really a brilliant thread. Reading it from the beginning I got really excited and it was pushing me to finally try making knives, then further in I realized I might not have the patience to actually make knives. :D

regardless this is one of the best threads I've seen for seeing technique and methods to doing things.

Red

Reading it from the beginning I got really excited and it was pushing me to finally try making knives, then further in I realized I might not have the patience to actually make knives. :D

that's a good point! I'll bet the best knives come from the most patient craftsmen.

This is my first post to this site as I just signed up today, but I wanted to say that this thread was extremely interesting to go through. I have always had an interest in knives and bladesmithing and going through here and seeing the progression of this amazing piece has made me want to get more involved in this craft. I wanted to say thank you to Lorien and Nick for taking the time to put this amazing thread together! There is so much information in here and it is made so easy to understand. I know I will have many questions and it seems the community here is very keen to help each other.(No pun intended) This isn't anything that others haven't already said, but I felt compelled to offer my thanks anyhow.

Jake

Thank you for the kind words, Jake!
Welcome to Bladeforums, I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do :)

I'm not sure if this was described, but I am curious how the guard was secured.

Last edited:
You guys just cleared up a WHOLE bunch of stuff that I missed when reading my knife forging books. THANKS A BUNCH Nick and Lorien. I'm getting my Nimba, forge, and pheer grinder in January, so I can start forging. Which is what I've wanted to do since I was a little kid. I'm sure you are going to hear from me again here.

Nathan

Beautiful wip,with so many photos!It must took a long time to get done.Thank you for sharing so many information!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick and Lorien,
An incredible WIP and an awesome knife!! Thanks for posting it.
Now a jig making I will be.
Regards,
Fred

Back