When you go hiking, knife or gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the brewing anti-gun B.S. going on. Control freaks are the worst social retards in the world. This is not about guns or safety, it's about fear and ignorance or the desire to control your fellow human. It's one or the other. The thing that pisses me off about it is this...and it is the same with Veganism, if you don't want to own a gun or a knife, fine. If you don't want to eat meat, fine. If you want to be delusional and not eat honey because you think bee vomit is ground up bees, made of bees, fine.

Just don't try to control me or tell me what to do. I don't try to get laws passed to make you purchase guns or eat meat, so why don't you just leave the rest of us the **** alone? Go to a mental hospital, get checked out. Find out why you so strongly desire to control your fellow humans, you're ill. You believe lies parading as truth simply because they agree with your own paranoid delusions. You think your neighbor with a gun is going to kill you and the crackhead down the street is misunderstood.

And you may be completely wrong...don't put your words or actions upon a deceased person to support your point in an internet pissing contest

Then why did his G/F bother to beat the bear in the head with a frying pan while it was killing Timothy? She should have been worried that she could have hurt the poor creature, if she felt it was entitled to kill him.
You know as well as I do if she'd had a gun she would have shot it same as he would have. When it comes down to it nobody is going to sacrifice their life or their loved ones because of some glorified belief. In their case they falsely believed the brown bears were harmless and they could make friends with them. They wouldn't even carry pepper-spray. They found out the bears were not harmless and she attacked with all she had, a heavy frying-pan. If there had been a more suitable weapon at hand she would have chose it.

Last edited:
I saw the preview for "Grizzly Man." Treadwell repeated three times to the camera that he would die for the bears. He did. So did his girlfriend. Two bears died for his stupid cause as well.

People come in here and they talk about how stupid their neighbors are because they would die in the wilderness because they have no basic survival skills. Then, in a fit of lunacy, some of them defend this crackpot.

I saw the preview for "Grizzly Man." Treadwell repeated three times to the camera that he would die for the bears. He did. So did his girlfriend. Two bears died for his stupid cause as well.

People come in here and they talk about how stupid their neighbors are because they would die in the wilderness because they have no basic survival skills. Then, in a fit of lunacy, some of them defend this crackpot.

I have nothing but respect for those bears. I think they mastered their natural desires for quite a long time, but Treadwell just kept shoving his tasty body right in front of their noses. It's no wonder they couldn't hold out.

Personally I think there should be a stop put to destroying bears and other predators which eat people. It's just a natural part of the world.

Andy

Andy,

No, I don't agree with that, it's not really a natural part of their world. Like the tigers in India and lions in Africa, we are slower than their natural prey and once they find out they can catch us easier, they become maneaters and ignore their natural food.

As far as Treadwell/Snackwell is concerned, even a wildlife biologist remarked that the bears thought he was insane, the way they behaved around him. Does a clown taste funny? :D

I may be mistaken, but I think they meant dying to defend the bears. They never considered the bears would actually kill them.

It doesn't matter really, I know what he meant. He also stated publicly at some speaking engagement that he would be proud to end up in bear scat. I hope he's proud now.

I look at it this way, there is no need for argument. I have even heard it from good friends that do the same outdoor activities i do, "Why do you need that for?" "No need for that man." "You're crazy." When i hear these things, i don't say a word, since i'm not the one who does not have it. I guess people have different levels of awareness, things can happen anywhere.

Very well put! I have to shake my head at people who think nothing bad can happen to them. I hope it doesn't, but just as I carry something with me to make fire, signal, communicate, perform first aid, hydrate or feed myself, I carry a gun. I've never needed it, but that certainly doesn't mean I won't.

I hike and bike a lot in wild country where mountain lions are known to be, and it's very comforting to have an option in case of attack. When hiking I carry my gun on my belt, and when riding it's close at hand in my pack.

To the posters who buy into the folk wisdom that says you'll never see a lion attack coming -- not true. Do a search on mountain lion attacks, and you'll find many cases where people have known well in advance that a lion was after them. Many have been attacked and injured or killed, because they didn't have a gun at hand to deal with the threat.

A gun won't always save you, but it sure beats poking the lion in the eye with a pen (Northern California attack), beating it with a tree branch, or using a swiss army knife to fend off it's ferocious attack after a terrifying half hour standoff.

There was a case in Wyoming this last summer of an attack by a mountain lion on a man out cutting firewood. This gentleman had a running chainsaw in his hands when the lion came out of the brush, and in spite of revving it and even sawing at the cat with it, the lion attacked him anyway and got some claws on him. The guy got away and called rangers, who shot the lion when it attacked one of their tracking dogs.

If you think a knife in your hand or a hiking stick is going to send a hungry carnivore skittering in terror, you might remember the roaring chainsaw that didn't bother an attacking lion.

To those who say lions will mistakenly attack people -- what makes you think it's a mistake? Do lions have a training manual that says "Thou shalt not eat them there peoples"? If it smells like meat, and is small enough to be taken down, why wouldn't a lion attack us? People don't have horns or claws or terrific strength to fight with, so unless you have tools to equalize the fight, a mountain lion is definitely going to have the upper hand.

Sometimes it takes a tragedy to disabuse people of their delusional fantasies. Sometimes that realization through tragedy is during a non-survivable event, like Treadwell's.

Maybe we can agree on this, then: If you want to carry a firearm when you hike, that's your decision and I have no problem with it whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't give anyone any flak for it. At the same time, though, those who do elect to carry while hiking ought not to be evangelical about their preparedness (butwhataboutthebearsandtigers!!?) and give those who don't a hard time.

Best,

- Mike

Maybe we can agree on this, then: If you want to carry a firearm when you hike, that's your decision and I have no problem with it whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't give anyone any flak for it. At the same time, though, those who do elect to carry while hiking ought not to be evangelical about their preparedness (butwhataboutthebearsandtigers!!?) and give those who don't a hard time.

Best,

- Mike

Mike,

I don't care if people own guns or not. I don't care if they carry them or not. But after years of hearing the lies and bellyaching going on about self-defense issues and gun control and knife control and every other type of "control," I also don't really care if someone gets injured or killed in a situation where a firearm could have saved them unless they were legally prohibited from owning or carrying. Those people get my sympathy. Not some know-it-all, delusional fruitloop's idea of how the world should be.

I don't care if people wear a motorcycle helmet or not. But if they get their egg cracked on the pavement where a helmet could have saved them, I have little sympathy for their diminished life they have to then live out.

At what point do people finally get what they are desperately begging for in life? And at what point should people continually feel sorry for them?

If someone chooses not to own a gun and they get attacked, sure, I despise the criminal, but I hold the other person in contempt for choosing to be a victim.

Best,

- Mike

I agree with this, and Don's post above.

I'll also have to say that most people preach preparedness so others don't suffer. Those who preach unpreparedness (because that's what it is) are trying to make others suffer as much as they do.

What irks me is when someone tells me that they wouldn't want me to defend them with my gun because guns are evil, and I say "OK, I won't." And then some dipdunk tells me I'm a rat bastard because I should help them because it's "the right thing to do." No, it's not, they don't want it, fine. If they wanted the protection, they would have carried their own. It's not my responsibility to protect them because they are foolish.

Note: this is in REAL LIFE, in a state where there is shall-issue CWL laws, an extended castle doctrine (extends past your house to anywhere you are legally able to be, other than specific exceptions), so I'm not imposing this on anyone who doesn't have a legal option of carrying. Although, to be honest, even when I lived in such areas, I carried anyway.

The Wifey and I had an apartment for about eleven years. Our next door neighbor had a nice little piece of land, a couple acres at least. He was an old guy and he grew his own vegetables and sold the rest in a relative's vegetable stand when things were in season. His house was less than 100 yards from the Baltimore Beltway. Occasionally, he would kill a rabbit, rat or groundhog in his garden. You'd just hear the light crack of a .22 and that would be that.

I try my best to live my principles. Understand this is not hyperbole, this is now a SWAT Call Out in this area, someone discharging a firearm in an area like we lived in at the time.

I never called 911, his property, his business. He wasn't shooting at me, Wifey or even at one point, our infant son in our apartment. He was a good and responsible neighbor and human being.

The reason I tell this story is, the anti-gun people are pushing this idea that we and our neighbors are the PROBLEM. If you arm yourself against criminals, you're PARANOID, you're mentally ill. Every evening I can read, listen to or watch stories about people beating, stomping, clubbing, slashing, stabbing and shooting other people. This stuff actually happens, every day.

NRA Members and other gun owners are NOT the PROBLEM. If we were the PROBLEM, there would be blood running in the streets because there are A LOT OF US.

This is why I despise anti-gunners, they are:

1. Ignorant and stubborn about being ignorant.
2. Demonstrably stupid.
3. Emotional to the point of stupidity.
4. Control Freaks.
5. Mentally Ill, truly paranoid while calling everyone else paranoid.
6. Some combination of the above 4 personality types.

They want you to fear your neighbor and what he owns and ignore the real threats in life. That's true paranoia. My neighbor is not the problem...well, unless it's like the guy in Cleveland, but you know what I mean. :D

The Wifey and I had an apartment for about eleven years. Our next door neighbor had a nice little piece of land, a couple acres at least. He was an old guy and he grew his own vegetables and sold the rest in a relative's vegetable stand when things were in season. His house was less than 100 yards from the Baltimore Beltway. Occasionally, he would kill a rabbit, rat or groundhog in his garden. You'd just hear the light crack of a .22 and that would be that.

I try my best to live my principles. Understand this is not hyperbole, this is now a SWAT Call Out in this area, someone discharging a firearm in an area like we lived in at the time.

I never called 911, his property, his business. He wasn't shooting at me, Wifey or even at one point, our infant son in our apartment. He was a good and responsible neighbor and human being.

The reason I tell this story is, the anti-gun people are pushing this idea that we and our neighbors are the PROBLEM. If you arm yourself against criminals, you're PARANOID, you're mentally ill. Every evening I can read, listen to or watch stories about people beating, stomping, clubbing, slashing, stabbing and shooting other people. This stuff actually happens, every day.

NRA Members and other gun owners are NOT the PROBLEM. If we were the PROBLEM, there would be blood running in the streets because there are A LOT OF US.

This is why I despise anti-gunners, they are:

1. Ignorant and stubborn about being ignorant.
2. Demonstrably stupid.
3. Emotional to the point of stupidity.
4. Control Freaks.
5. Mentally Ill, truly paranoid while calling everyone else paranoid.
6. Some combination of the above 4 personality types.

They want you to fear your neighbor and what he owns and ignore the real threats in life. That's true paranoia. My neighbor is not the problem...well, unless it's like the guy in Cleveland, but you know what I mean. :D

You're alright with me Don. :thumbup:

I can't count! ;)

Actually, I added another personality type and didn't modify the number. :D

I had a family member, actually a member of my Wife's family. That .22 cracked and they said something about calling the police and I told her, "Don't ever come here again if you do."

I mean it. I'm sick of idiots and lunatics running the show.

Good morning everyone from Los Angeles, CA, it's a clear sunday morning and i'm going mountain biking! Mountainman 38, i think we have similar thoughts, since we both go mountain biking we understand what we're talking about.

Worrying about bear attacks in any of the lower 48 is like worrying about getting AIDs from the computer. Best to just call it a day at prepping for getting lost, getting damp, starting a fire and getting help once your far enough away from society to have those threats kick in. People are the problem in the vast majority of confrontations we are either too ballsy or not ballsy enough, applying discretion is what keeps people upright.

Good morning everyone from Los Angeles, CA, it's a clear sunday morning and i'm going mountain biking! Mountainman 38, i think we have similar thoughts, since we both go mountain biking we understand what we're talking about.

Copy that, brother. I went riding yesterday in 10°F temps (whilst out geocaching), and it was nice to get out and ride. Kind of hard to dress properly, though.:grumpy:

Enjoy that sunny SoCal weather for me! The weather down there this time of year is about the only thing I miss about living down there.

Bear attacks, cougar attacks, feral dog attacks, rabid raccoon attacks, wild hog attacks, deranged crazy human attack, etc., none are likely at all.
But, if you want to carry a firearm in case you might need it to defend your life you will be glad to have it if something does happen. (And maybe helpless without it) It's like why you buy insurance on your home. You don't expect to have something happen, but if it does at least you're covered.

There are two aspects to threat analysis. One is the likelihood of the threat and the other is the severity of the result.

On the job, frequent injuries may be scrapes, bruises, and paper cuts. Frequent, but easily treated. We're ready for them. The worst injuries are rare: fires, crushing injuries in heavy machinery, assault by deranged people. As unusual as these may be in any given workplace, we prepare for them, too, because otherwise the results are so unacceptable.

Except in the case of that most most life-threatening event, which is rare but not unknown: an armed intruder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back