When you go hiking, knife or gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why i carry a knife in certain situations. Certain situations where i'm flying down my mountain bike on some nice thick brushed single track that is where i carry my knife.

On other situations where i'm fishing in a secluded river, i have a firearm on me, where i have more time to assess the situation whereas on my mountain bike i'm more worried of not flying off the cliff!

Don't be quick to judge texasred66, since I'm sure you're from Texas you think all Californians are ill equipped and incompetent, and dress in calvin klein, and have 911 on speed dial.

Nope- Lived in San Diego for a couple of years. great country-nice people-not trying to beat on you --but just how old are you?

age shouldnt reflect ability, its a can of worms we can prolly leave out of this thread...it'll just end up going in circles.

Let this thread thrive, i hate animosity on the forums nevertheless great discussion going on.
I think it is awesome seeing a nice knife on your side, when i browse through the picture thread.

I smell a troll. :thumbdn: Or a naive individual. You've got to tell us where you live. Everyone would love to live somewhere that has no crime, no evil, and no stray dogs.
I live in LA. Crime, evil and stray dogs exist here. Too bad you can't shoot "crime" or "evil". That would be nice and simple, wouldn't it? I suppose you could shoot a stray dog, but in a city like this, I wouldn't recommend it. Walking stick, my friend.

axtalano its not your position i have trouble with. your total lack of tolerance for any one carrying any protection is not tenable.
I have plenty of tolerance for protection for those who need it.
this is my position& assorted bits. carrying whatever a person desires is their own decision
I actually agree with that. Doing heroin is also "their own decision", but not a smart one, is it?
a sense of safety is important for enjoyment in any excursion
Again, I agree. If you need a gun to give you a a sense of safety, your battle is already lost. It saddens me what a paranoid society we are devolving into.
you like to debate all positions differing from your own
debates belong in academic halls
Um, aren't you the one debating me?
if i took you on a walk at dark in watts california one time & we were unarmed 100% probability we would be mugged.
Absolutely false, and maybe even a little racist. This is the paranoia I was referring to, fed by TV news. I worked in South Central LA for 3 years. Walked around in the dark all the time. Aside form some verbal harassment, never any problem. And I'm a skinny, dorky white boy. I probably look like an easy victim.
cougers are on increase because of food supply [feral hogs]
loose dogs & 2 footed predators are definitely a possibility.
Again, I agree. Winning the lottery is a possibility too. I'm not going quit my job and live life anticipating that though.
i beleive you are a practising psycotherispt [i,m sure you will be happy to correct me if i'm incorrect]
I am, but what does that have to do with anything we are discussing?
a simple look at statistictics will show the massive increase in crimes against people
I believe you are wrong. According to FBI statistics, violent crimes have been steadily decreasing for a number of years now. We have more and more people in jail for drug possession crimes, yes. Just possession though (not selling or making), so those are harmless crimes. But privatized jails need our money, so they criminalize harmless behavior for profits. Just wait till they start criminalizing carrying knives, so they can profit even more on the backs of ordinary citizens!
your literary style of taking each statement & debating same is very tiring
most of the time my tolerance is not tested but your knee jerk reaction to any type of self preservation is indicitive of a man living on a pink cloud.
You say 'pink cloud', I say 'reality'
please let me take you to east dallas some evening. we,ll see if your oration is enough defense to save your hinnie.
Sir, I bet South Central makes east Dallas look like Disneyland. You sound so scared of "brown" areas.
in summation i expect a 700 word litiney from yourself trying to justify your position above all others.
But I thought "debates belong in academic halls."
know this; i live where i stand, & your proclamations are welcome ; however they certainly wo'nt be given much credence in reality. dennis strickland.
We agree to disagree. You base your way of thinking on your life experience, as I do on mine. Good day. :)

I see it two ways, One, I can bare the weight, and in the instance something happens, I can shoot it, If I don't, I die.

Sure I can take a knife and walking stick, but I would much rather have 180grains traveling at 2k feet to work with, and also have a knife in case. :D

"well it can"...

1. Get you a lot more food than a knife.
2. Defend yourself against predators: two and four legged.

Wouldn't try to kill a bear with my SAK. :D

A knife can prepare my food, prepare firewood, pick a splinter, help build shelter in an emergency, mark a trail, and maybe even spear a fish. A gun can... um... well it can...

I used to carry all the time but not anymore. I came to the realization that I'd rather be killed by a bear or a couger than die from cancer or heart disease and the latter is a lot more probable. So now I don't have to hassle with the weight and bulk of a side arm and if it's printing, etc. I DO carry a tomahawk every now and again but the fact that it's an effective weapon is secondary to the usefulness of it as a chopper.

According to FBI statistics, violent crimes have been steadily decreasing for a number of years now.

Due in part if not totally to the fact that concealled carry permits are on the rise. Violent crime is much higher in California than the national average. I submit it's due to their unconstitutional gun laws.

Believe what you want to believe. If I was single things would be different. As it stands now I have a family to protect and I'll me damned if I'll let them become victims without a fight.

I remember the riots in LA (Rodney King) and folks not being able to buy ammo- armed neighbor hood watch's being set up to keep the thugs out- pistols and shotguns were popular and provided a sense of security. axtalan0 is a troll-don't feed him.

We can't EDC guns up here, but a knive(s) are always on me. In the bush, I always carry a gun;either my 12 ga.pump Mossberg, or at least a .22 . If I'm going deep, I bring my old model 94 Winchester 30-30 .

ALWAYS a fixed and a folder. (varies )

Pete

kudos to texas red 66, you're right about axatalo. his total contribution is to lay down & LET IT HAPPEN. i'll try to be careful here sounds like he is a backdoor catcher.

Due in part if not totally to the fact that concealled carry permits are on the rise. Violent crime is much higher in California than the national average. I submit it's due to their unconstitutional gun laws.

Believe what you want to believe. If I was single things would be different. As it stands now I have a family to protect and I'll me damned if I'll let them become victims without a fight.

much like BC

I don't think axtalan0 is necessarily a troll, and the disparaging remarks don't belong here. This isn't W&C. The dude just sees the world in a different way. I can respect that he has a different perspective even if I don't agree with it--as long as he doesn't try to tell me how to live my life. That said, I do see some disdain in a statement like this one...

Again, I agree. If you need a gun to give you a a sense of safety, your battle is already lost. It saddens me what a paranoid society we are devolving into.

Since there have been guns, people have carried them for a sense of safety--mainly because of their practicality in that regard. And the paranoia argument works two ways. Being afraid that legal, gun-toting citizens are suddenly going to devolve America into some sort of Wild West scenario... well, that view strikes me as a bit paranoid.

Definitely a knife, not a gun.

I used to hike with a gun and practiced shooting often. But, after reading this thread I am sad to learn that the only appropriate backstop for shooting a gun is a live bear. That is just plain inconvenient. I simply don't have the time to round up a bear every time I want to practice or sight in my rifle.

Who knew? I wish Cooper would have covered this in his writings. I feel like such a fool for being so reckless for all of these years.:(

Before this goes into lockdown.. .. ..

So again, i wanted to see when you guys/gals go hiking/camping whatever outdoor activity it is, do you usually, occasionally also bring along a firearm.

Hell yes!
Guns, knives and dogs belong on my trips to the (not so) great outdoors.

I used to hike with a gun and practiced shooting often. But, after reading this thread I am sad to learn that the only appropriate backstop for shooting a gun is a live bear. That is just plain inconvenient. I simply don't have the time to round up a bear every time I want to practice or sight in my rifle.

Who knew? I wish Cooper would have covered this in his writings. I feel like such a fool for being so reckless for all of these years.:(

One option is to hike with a bear on a leash, I guess.

49349668_3ac128cd46.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back