where do we do the next challenge?

Thank you Bruce! I figure if I can't win the performance side may have a chance at the Belle of the Ball... Ok Maybe not, I am just happy to be involved.

What do you guys think about a chopper/large camp knife challenge, say 8"-10" range?

We did a camp knife challenge as the first one. It's possible a second one can be done...... We did a machete/chopper, but a heavier chopper could be fun.

So far what has been done through WSS is:

camp knife challenge (no specific blade limits, most were in the 6-10 inch range, IIRC)

machete challenge (this ended up including some more or less chopper aspects)

bushcraft knife challenge

necker challenge.

Personally, I'd like to see a camp kitchen challenge. It's not a "solo bushcraft" sort of thing, but anyone who ever has done a bush bash, hunting camp, family camp, scouting, or any other wilderness activity involving groups knows how big a deal this one can be- and how it can vary from "home cookin"

Not specifically realted to WSS, a nice, broad, multitester "EDC fixed blade" challenge with more common daily tasks could be a lot of fun and open things up to some different design ideas. Might be necessary to specify an urban/country focus. In relation tot hat, a "ranch/farm" EDC challenge could be cool as a separate entity.

An EDC challenge *could* open things up broader, move out of WSS specifically and operate as a much longer term thing, which would require some major dedication in terms of someone keeping track of things.

A KSA challenge (knife shaped axe- heavy chopper) could be cool, but we'd have to look at a specific testing range- is it like competition chopping? felling a 6 inch tree and making firewood?

The camp kitchen knife challenge sounds pretty good. What are you thinking of as far as what the knife should be able to do outside of food prep?

Personally, I mist the camp knife challenge, so it's something that I can't seem to get out of my head and would love to try in the future.

Gotta like an EDC challenge...chopper would be fun...hows about a sgian dubh (sp?)..or a kukri?

I asked in the other thread, is there a way to sticky the previous challenges? Lots of great stuff in there...

At home I use 3 or 4 different kitchen knives on a regular basis. To pull off a stand-alone camp kitchen knife could be a real bugger. I like it.

At home I use 3 or 4 different kitchen knives on a regular basis. To pull off a stand-alone camp kitchen knife could be a real bugger. I like it.

At home.. I just grab a knife from the collection and use it. Never thought about a custom kitchen knife. That is why I personally want that as the next challenge, myself.

Man, if that could get organized and done up in time, randomgamedale's relations could do christmas dinner as a challenge...... wooohooo.

realistically, that's cutting it pretty short, and hunting season is really close to getting done in "knife challenge" terms.

How about a hunting knife challenge with a side focus of preparing the animal for food. From field to table as it were.

At some point, I'd like to see an "unreasonable" knife challenge. Sharpened crowbar type stuff. I want something were knives are going to fail and get damaged. A stupidly insane series of tests, laid out ahead of time so the maker can fashion a blade/tool to perform all the required tasks. Folks are always discussing "abuse" lets see what we can do. From slicing paper to smashing bricks and hammering nails.......... Let's get STOOPYD.

Rick

Last edited:
At some point, I'd like to see an "unreasonable" knife challenge. Sharpened crowbar type stuff. I want something were knives are going to fail and get damaged. A stupidly insane series of tests, laid out ahead of time so the maker can fashion a blade/tool to perform all the required tasks. Folks are always discuss "abuse" lets see what we can do. From slicing paper to smashing bricks and hammering nails.......... Let's get STOOPYD.

Rick

Big second for this! Let's see just how special some of the marketed "hard use" knives are, or if it's just that they're willing to actually just mistreat a blade for the public eye, when really many can handle it.

I would like another chance to play, but not if it's a fast turn around one.

Any of the ideas listed sound like fun.

At some point, I'd like to see an "unreasonable" knife challenge. Sharpened crowbar type stuff. I want something were knives are going to fail and get damaged. A stupidly insane series of tests, laid out ahead of time so the maker can fashion a blade/tool to perform all the required tasks. Folks are always discussing "abuse" lets see what we can do. From slicing paper to smashing bricks and hammering nails.......... Let's get STOOPYD.

Rick

I can be stupid. I demonstrated it recently. :D

Okay girls, the holidays are over and it's a new year...and time to start grinding for our pleasure. ;)

So what's the new challenge? Let's do something new!

• Kitchen
  • Camp kitchen
  • EDC
  • Unreasonable beater
  • Skinner
  • Trailing point camp
  • In the shape of a celebrity
  • Other......

Okay girls, the holidays are over and it's a new year...and time to start grinding for our pleasure. ;)

So what's the new challenge? Let's do something new!

• Kitchen
  • Camp kitchen
  • EDC
  • Unreasonable beater
  • Skinner
  • Trailing point camp
    [*]In the shape of a celebrity
  • Other......

Is.. that possible? :p

Kitchen would be a good way to go. I believe all of what we have done so far is more related to wood work, or outdoor work. An overall knife meant for the kitchen would be a change in direction.

Back