where do we do the next challenge?

I think you meant wicked etching pattern... I like it.

Rick... you really bring it home with a design like that. It really makes me see how much I tend to over think designs. :thumbup: Well done sir.

That looks awesome Rick! I wanna be like you when I grow up...seriously.

Some of the contending designs. I plan to mess around some more and see what I end up liking best. The wharnie idea is fun, not sure if the "micro seax" profile will win out. the caping point is fun.

The "american tanto" style one might end up being really utilitarian. Though with that one I'm thinking more about shop work

2011-09-11-01.jpg

2011-09-11-02.jpg

Very Nice Christof! Wharnie's seem to get the most work in my shop...Guess I had better get going on this

That wharnie is a great design. It was a toss-up for me. This was my first neckknife which I carried for 5yrs and still gets used as a shop knife...

neckknife.jpg

I still carry one of my two finger semi-wharnie neckers. it's a good profile for a short blade. I don't think the two finger handle profile is something everyone likes, though.

bullnose01.jpg

Dang. You guys really set the bar high. Kyote I really like the third from the top in the second pic. I have two possibilities so far but I'll see if I can come up with anything else...
IMG_20110910_200531.jpg

This thread was geared towards general chit-chat and ideas about the challenge, the other for more focused posts relating to the knives. Troy H and I went back and forth about the options, and it seems that keeping both as stickies until the challenge is over will be the best way to meet the needs of both sides.

Apparently some are "stretching" the meaning of neck knife.

here's my necker, although unfinished I just couldn't resist posting a pic of it after seeing all the nice knives... Still undecided on my sheath system.. :)

IMG_2586.jpg

okay, so I got a little derailed tonight.. I did finish grinding one that I may use, its a little closer in size :D

I'll post pics when I get it done, hopefully this weekend..

I think I found your market.

NeckRings.jpg

Wow.... what kind of wood is that, Ryan.... it looks like some kinda wacked out alien egg clusters or sumphin!

It is Redwood, kinda freaky stuff from Mark at Burl Source. I had Mark cut a block into 3/8" pieces and there was a thin scrap piece left over. Figured it was perfect for the necker.

I have a block of redwood I haven't used yet. That is just a glorious knife.

Thanks Christof and Ray :D

I still have a few in the works and am not 100% sure this is my entry. I am enjoying making little knives!

Back