where do we do the next challenge?

It took me a bit to be sure, but it sounds like the "challenge" is to test knives rather than skills/people. No offense, fellas, but I'm moving this to gear.

I look forward to watching the challenge unfold!

Is it alright to have Peters do my heat treat. I just got my entry in 3V back, but if maker has to do heat treat I can make the same knife again in O1 or A2. My oven struggles to 1800. Either way will not be difficult to meet the deadline, one month or two.

Wow, this thread has come along way since I last checked in.

Long hours at the job site combined with the power outages at home have made the forums a lost companion.

Glad to see some of the SoCal folks stepping up to the plate when it comes to testing,

...be careful what you ask for.

And glad (as you should be) that Tony didn't make me pose topless with the Bushcraft Challenge knives.

The 7" LOA necker sounds like a good challange; I'm not a necker kind guy, but I do carry several sub-seven inch knives as fixed blade pocket knives; maybe this might be considered with the neckers.

I also like the concept of doing a Camp Kitchen or Field Kitchen/Camp Knife challenge,

...heck, I may even enter one of my knives in that one.

Yo Christof, good on you my friend for keeping this going.

Big Mike

Is it alright to have Peters do my heat treat. I just got my entry in 3V back, but if maker has to do heat treat I can make the same knife again in O1 or A2. My oven struggles to 1800. Either way will not be difficult to meet the deadline, one month or two.

You should be fine. That is exactly what I'm doing.

It took me a bit to be sure, but it sounds like the "challenge" is to test knives rather than skills/people. No offense, fellas, but I'm moving this to gear.

I look forward to watching the challenge unfold!

The long proud history of W&SS knife challenges should not be ignored.

Not having a context to judge things, i.e., changing things just for the sake of change, does not improve them; in fact losing historical context is one of the biggest problems in the world today, and those of us who have taken time to study history realize that most are doomed to repeat the errors of the past.

Long live the W&SS, and what it has stood for all these years.

Big Mike

I won't argue, though a pointer sticky in WSS really should be made.

I agree with Mike in that we've had 3 WSS themed challenges and it's become a tradition to have in the forum.

That being said, the OGSE&M forum was created to handle some of the .... big issues ... surrounding taking WSS down to a fairly restrictive topicality level (average traffic probably shows some results.)
Not the place nor the thread to get too deep into that.

I just ask that a WSS sticky pointer be made up for the traditionalists to be able to see where to go to see the wip and challenge judging threads (and this one, too!)

If the general feeling is that this challenge is more of a forum-sponsored event, then I have no problem taking it back to WSS. To further show it as an exception to the general rule, I can sticky this thread there to make it stand out from the normal discussion (when the challenge starts, I can sticky the new thread instead, etc).

Note that I'm changing your argument from "tradition" to "forum-sponsored." The word tradition can be applied too globally to any other thread.

Agreed there. The word traditonal like totally gets over used in an awesome way and stuff :D

But thanks very much!

If the general feeling is that this challenge is more of a forum-sponsored event, then I have no problem taking it back to WSS. To further show it as an exception to the general rule, I can sticky this thread there to make it stand out from the normal discussion (when the challenge starts, I can sticky the new thread instead, etc).

Note that I'm changing your argument from "tradition" to "forum-sponsored." The word tradition can be applied too globally to any other thread.

Good on you Troy for understanding that there's more going on here then meets the eye.

I think the W&SS Knife Challenges have push the interaction of users and makers (who are also users) to a new level;

...survival is about skills and tools, and these thread teach much about both.

Big Mike

Although we haven't posted it yet, SoCal BushBash will be Oct. 14 thru 16 at Sequoia National Forest. I know it's a short time frame, but if we get them in our hands in our hands prior to this we can really put them through the ringer. And of course it opens the possibility for additional testers. I think having at least five testers would really broaden the perspective. That sound reasonable or is more time needed?

Edit: Actually, let's not dick around with this and let it drag. Testing will be Oct. 14 thru 16 at CA BushBash. Results will be posted within a few weeks of testing. If you're entering the competition then post "I'm in". Late entries will be traded in Mexico for blankets. 7 in. OAL. Must hang from the neck. Function trumps form, but fit & finish matters. We'll let you know the testing criteria when we let you know the testing criteria. Make it so!

If you want to join us at BushBash then post in that thread (coming soon.)

Last edited:
I think having these knives at the Bush Bash would be awesome. We can have everyone examine/test the knives and rank them and post those results.

I think that would be a great opportunity to get votes on ovar all appearance and Fit and Finish. I think the actual testing should be fairly controlled. I am chomping at the bit to get this going.

i think that would be a great opportunity to get votes on ovar all appearance and fit and finish. I think the actual testing should be fairly controlled. I am chomping at the bit to get this going.

i totally agree

JCav,

I think it's time to start an official thread. You should keep this one open for questions and such, but an oficial sign up thread should be open complete with rules, deadline, etc.

Also you should name the testers.

I probably should drop out as a maker and be a tester since I'll be at bushbash. That will make me, mike, Jason, and maybe Sasha, and John the testers.

Keep in mind that each knife should be tested the same by all testers. The more testers the longer and harder to keep organized it will be. There is a potential to have over 20 knives in this challenge. That is a lot of work for the testers. It starts out as fun and then quickly becomes a burden. Good luck!

I wouldn't want you to drop out Ray but either way you decide to go it would be nice to get some critiquing from a knife maker.

you can handle 6 or 7 testers if you print out a checksheet. and then leave the detailed "review writing" part for the main 3 testers who will have access to the knives through all of october and november

Back