Who all uses traditional archery?

The snow has melted away enough on some of our south-facing hillsides to allow us to get out for the first stumping session of the season. It was still pretty deep in the trees, so we stuck to the open areas, picking off sage brush branches and whatnot. Still, it was great just to get out and hike with the bow!

on8i.jpg

The Thunderchild at rest:

tyc6.jpg

jfqo.jpg

v0qr.jpg

Found a cool little shed along the way:

vj3e.jpg

and took in some good views:

8u1a.jpg

qs.gif

last time I shot a recurve was probably last year which is when I broke my last arrow. I couldn't get any better than a 1ft grouping at 40feet.

last time I shot a recurve was probably last year which is when I broke my last arrow. I couldn't get any better than a 1ft grouping at 40feet.

That's too bad, but there are lots of reasons why that might have been the case - tuning and form being the primary factors. How long had you been shooting it?

That's too bad, but there are lots of reasons why that might have been the case - tuning and form being the primary factors. How long had you been shooting it?

I've only been shooting since probably the Spring of 2013 so not long really.

Well, if you ever decide to pick it up again, I'd be happy to help with problem-solving your accuracy issues, and I bet others who've contributed to this thread would as well. There are a lot of subtle little details to shooting a trad bow well, and it helps a lot to be able to tap into other's learning experiences. But once it 'clicks,' it's addictive as heck. :thumbup:

I'll take all the tips I can get! :D

Been shooting about 2 months now and having a great time. Far better than I was...this is about as good as I can do so far. This was yesturday...

After that I proceeded to lose my form and spray everywhere! Go figure! :grumpy: I have to get in for a lesson soon.

This target is very close in my basement, only about 7 yards...but figure I'll be able to get out more soon. :thumbup:

A lot has to happen to be consistant.
1. Don't drop your bow arm; in other words, keep your bow arm up until you hear the arrow hit the target.
2. Find an anchor point, and hit it every time you shoot.

I'll take all the tips I can get! :D

Been shooting about 2 months now and having a great time. Far better than I was...this is about as good as I can do so far. This was yesturday...

After that I proceeded to lose my form and spray everywhere! Go figure! :grumpy: I have to get in for a lesson soon.

This target is very close in my basement, only about 7 yards...but figure I'll be able to get out more soon. :thumbup:

Thanks mewolf-been working those concepts and also a consistent release...been looking at Jeff Kavanaugh on youtube and liked how he referred to a second anchor spot to help train the release just watche his video talking about the vertical line.

Wish I could have gotten in a lesson last week while I was on vaca with the kids..but wasn't meant to be...

Joe's buddy has some of the nicest form I've seen in a long time, and is what I would like to attain some day. I'm no where near as good, but it is the style one of my teachers used to help me with bad habits.

[video=youtube;XTM19GvFkQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTM19GvFkQU&index=46&list=WLzsjQbvcHCFQN9QZv47EL3A[/video]

Been working on my hoyt buffalow tradbow tune the last month. Playing with arrow spine and over all weight of arrows.
dialed in at 780gr 31.5 inch at 185fps out of a 70lb draw off the riser. It groups field points and fat broadheads out to 35 yards, my max range so far with this bow. Unfortunantly my main is a bama bow hunter at 67 lbs at 29 inch. They both like different arrow recipes. But man its fun.

I should mention Joe, that your shooting whoops me too. The vid schmuckin a water bottle at what seens like 40 yards, 3 times in a row, swing'in in the wind is very impressive.:thumbup:
Ray shoots very well

Places high in tournaments and kills deer every year

RPN, I also shoot in my basement, I have 10 yards but the ceiling is low so i have to shoot from a kneeling position. Im in the middle of Philadelphia so i cant just go out and shoot very often. But hopefully now that its warming up ill get a chance to get out and do some shooting outside from a further distance.

Here is my Samick Sage. Nothing fancy but i think its a great bow.

Last edited:
Nice shooting guys! And nice pics Smithhammer. Joe.....you're a sniper!

Here is my first ever You Tube video. Don't be afraid to comment on my form, I haven't been at this too long.

[video=youtube;Vc8yFaMRmZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8yFaMRmZo[/video]

Nice shooting Bruce......the bears be in trouble!:D
Darcy

I trained as a target shooter with a recurve for afew years, I have to say that it is much harder physically to draw and shoot the bow accurately, technique has to be dead-on. My friend is a state shooter and he has been shooting for 7-8 years and he can put 8 arrows in a 3inch group from twenty without raising a sweat. It is much easier with a compound but your techique doesn't improve. As My friend and the state coach told me, "in compound you shoot the bow, in recurve you learn to shoot"

Back