Who all uses traditional archery?

Very cool, J! That bow has some serious recurve to it!! Beautifully built riser as well.

It just takes consistent practice. I have to shoot every other day to be able to hunt with my longbow

Sorry Bruce I just saw this

This bow is crazy

As the tips uncurl you get a perceived letoff

Nothing compound like just a smooth pull that gains weight quickly and than lets up

Much more than the Hex 6

Speed wise pound for pound it is the fastest recurve I have ever seen

I have played with a lot of very high end bows from Silvertips to hopped up carbon foam limbs on ILF risers and while I love them all this thing is freakin awesome

Fun thread here. Helped me get off my butt and get my 1st bow. I had gotten my wife one for Christmas and just got an entry level bow. Lord, I'm horrible, but having fun! :D :thumbup:

Fun thread here. Helped me get off my butt and get my 1st bow. I had gotten my wife one for Christmas and just got an entry level bow. Lord, I'm horrible, but having fun! :D :thumbup:

Right on! It takes time to develop good form, and I find that choosing to shoot trad is really a year-round commitment. You can't just pick it up the week before the season starts, get it sighted in and be good to go. But that's a large part of what makes it so rewarding. :thumbup:

And since we're showing off new bows, here is a Big Jim's Thunderchild that I recently picked up. I'm really loving this bow, and it's been hard for me to shoot anything else since.

56" AMO
#52 @ 28"
Bocote veneers
Carbon/bamboo cores
Rosewood riser

w18i.jpg
hyzr.jpg

7ihe.jpg
b3v2.jpg

w87i.jpg
7n95.jpg

WOOF! I can see why you can't put that thing down.:thumbup:
And since we're showing off new bows, here is a Big Jim's Thunderchild that I recently picked up. I'm really loving this bow, and it's been hard for me to shoot anything else since.

56" AMO
#52 @ 28"
Bocote veneers
Carbon/bamboo cores
Rosewood riser

w18i.jpg
hyzr.jpg

7ihe.jpg
b3v2.jpg

w87i.jpg
7n95.jpg

Thanks. With the carbon/bamboo limb cores and radical r/d design, it's a fast little bow, and I'm not exactly shooting a light arrow (620 gr.). It's also surprisingly stable for such a light bow. I shot it the other day with a bow quiver and without, and it didn't make any difference at all.

A quick little vid of some target shooting on a windy day:

[video=youtube;Oxc1s1_Tfkg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxc1s1_Tfkg[/video]

Great video

I love big Jim's bows

On the incoming shot you can see your arrow kick hard tail left before the fletches correct

Seems like they are a little light in the spine weight

Great video

I love big Jim's bows

On the incoming shot you can see your arrow kick hard tail left before the fletches correct

Seems like they are a little light in the spine weight

Thanks, J!

Yeah - good eye on the arrow. They actually fly dead straight in calm weather, but we were deliberately shooting in a pretty stiff quartering breeze,. I was experimenting with two different fletching setups on an otherwise identical arrow - 4 x 2-1/4" fletching, and 3 x 4" fletch. Points weights were 300 grains, for just over 25% FOC.

The results were pretty interesting - the smaller fletched arrows would kick out a bit after leaving the bow, but the high FOC points straightened them out, and kept them tracking straight. The larger fletched arrows were consistently grouping left of where I was aiming, consistent with the wind direction. A buddy of mine was also shooting two different fletching setups, similar to mine, and was finding the same thing - the larger fletching didn't necessarily help with tracking at all, and served to catch more wind and affect accuracy.

I've been playing around with various setups like this for a while, but experiences like this have sold me on high FOC in conjunction with reduced fletching. Why steer the arrow from the back, when you can steer it from the front, right? :D

Last edited:
I too like high FOC but I bear shaft to get straight flight before I fletch

Than you do not need as much fletch but I still shoot big 5 inch feathers

They help on a bad release and I like big Broadheads

From the look of the video the tail kick I am seeing is spine induced not wind

Watch this video at a about 38 seconds it shows the arrow in slow motion

I spend great amounts of time to get the right tune so I get an arrow that really flies straight

[video=youtube_share;I0hdBvG3Amo]http://youtu.be/I0hdBvG3Amo[/video]

On this one go to about 2:40 and I shoot right past the camera and you can see flight

Looking forward to more videos of that Big Jim

[video=youtube_share;_XMsjYxLZ2c]http://youtu.be/_XMsjYxLZ2c[/video]

Nice shootin' ! I need to set up some moving aerial targets.

Here is a vid of the same arrow setup, on a windless day at about 15 yds, slowed down as much as possible:

[video=youtube;03zB9w39I7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03zB9w39I7A&feature=youtu.b[/video]

GT 5575 cut to 28.5
100 gr. insert
200. gr. point
5 gr. carbon collar
4 x 2-1/4" fletch
25.6% FOC

Great videos guys. Just came up from shooting in my cellar and the vids are inspiring! :thumbup:

Back