Who has an EDC for sheeple friendly carry, and one for who cares?

Better yet... There's much to be said for things best left unsaid.

Last edited:
Everything I carry is legal, so I really don't care if someone is scared. Dealing with things you are uncomfortable with is part of life.

I carry a small pocket sheathed fixed blade, and a larger fixed on the weak side (the light artillery rides strong side).
Fortunately, I live in an area that isn't hypersensitive to such things. Never felt the need to go to the ladies intimate apparel section of a store, whip out a BK9, and scream EEEEHAAAW! either.
That being said, I've never gotten a second glance while using a cutting tool when necessary. I think those who could have been offended by seeing a knife, never noticed.
They were to busy walking into things, because their noses were glued to their phones.
That's a sheeple.
Sheeple is a good name for most of today's public with exceptions for everything of course why someone might have a true genuine fear of a object which can be understandable. Anyways I'm at a age and happily living in a state where I carry what I want and if I have a true reason to use my knife I'm not going to be concerned about taking it out. About a month ago my wife dragged me to one of those couple paintings and have some wine that's so popular now. Anyways I think my little 95 pound Latin wife uses my knives more than I do and I carry them just for her. She says honey do you have your knife which is usually a multi tool and the scissors she wants but that day I had my protech auto with 4 inch blade. Whack! It opens I hand it to her and thought all the yuppies were going to choke on wine and cheese. That was the most fun of the night. If they only knew I was carrying also. Lol!

Great posts.

Came for the awesome victorinox and GEC's... stayed for the pearl clutching.

There is a huge urban/rural divide here.

You're so urbane and fancy! sheeple is a mean word..sheeple is a hate crime..sheeple is a slur.... I had to say it extra to make up for y'all. I don't mean it to be mean-spirited but it is extremely useful shorthand for (wussies)

Is this all a misunderstanding? just call it what it is - hoplophobia?

We are bad ass wolves here like charlie and the rest of folks are sheep, baaa. We use the term to make ourselves feel all good and superior. Now who is offended? We got sheep dressed in wolves clothing here or what? :D

Now the sheep need our protection. So lets be nice to them. They can bring us food and do other good favors.

Correct use of the word... Refer to below.

shee·ple
SHēpəl/
noun
informal, derogatory
  1. people compared to sheep in being docile, foolish, or easily led.
    "by the time the sheeple wake up and try to change things, it will be too late"

We are bad ass wolves here like charlie and the rest of folks are sheep, baaa. We use the term to make ourselves feel all good and superior. Now who is offended? We got sheep dressed in wolves clothing here or what? :D

Now the sheep need our protection. So lets be nice to them. They can bring us food and do other good favors.

Correct use of the word... Refer to below.

shee·ple
SHēpəl/
noun
informal, derogatory
  1. people compared to sheep in being docile, foolish, or easily led.
    "by the time the sheeple wake up and try to change things, it will be too late"

Oh hell, I'm a average hard working Joe that seems to be surrounded by less and less of those average Joes all the time.

Some people overreact. If you are using the scissors on a Swiss Army Knife to trim loose threads off your suit coat in your office, and someone across the room faints, they're overreacting.

Some people cause overreactions. If you are using a 12" custom bowie knife to trim loose threads off your suit coat in the middle of a grocery store with big flourishes, you're looking for overreactions.

I personally carry many knives, because you want to have the right tool for the right task. If it's a small task in a setting where a large knife would be conspicuous, then I guess I need a small knife for it.

Speaking of which, I guess that means I have to buy some small knives. What a tragedy.

Disregarding the word choice, would they be wrong? In the U.S. at least, we live in a highly consumeristic culture that spends every second of every day trying to sell us stuff we don't need. Companies spend millions of dollars to turn people into compulsory consumers, and they are obviously very good at it.

But... I thought Sal Glesser really cared and only wanted what was good for me. :(

Sometimes it's really scary watching someone use their knife. Looks like they might hurt themselves.
This actually is important. Because I have had reactions to using a SAK.... I was concerned that I would not cut ME using it, but not very concerned about what it might look like to a third party. Don't know what the answer is other than if there are observers close by (arms length kind of distance), give them a little heads up as to what you are going to do. It comes down to trust and there isn't much of that around anymore.

Last edited:
When I hear someone say sheeple I assume I am listening to a sheep in wolves clothing. Strong people do not need to prop themselves up by putting others down. Sheeple is always a pejorative and is always meant to assert superiority. I see a lot of self righteousness and machismo. I assume you guys won't take offense to my stance since you have already stated that you are not easily offended like "sheeple" are. ;)

I carry one large and one small folder most days but it is not due to social consciousness but rather for utility purposes. Functionally they each have their role. Do I pull out my Spyderco Military at my toddler's playgroup? No, that is absurd. Do I hesitate to use it cutting a strap around lumber at Home Depot or to cut up my toddlers sandwich at a diner? Nope. I am never looking to elicit a response from people when using a knife so I seldom get one. If I do get one I use it as an opportunity to be an ambassador of the knife community and try to share our perspective. I feel that is the most responsible, productive and beneficial way to approach it.

I do realize that as knife (and some of us gun) enthusiasts that we are currently under attack in many ways and i certainly understand how easy it can be to become defensive of our beliefs but we also should try to take a stance that does us more good than harm.

When I hear someone say sheeple I assume I am listening to a sheep in wolves clothing. Strong people do not need to prop themselves up by putting others down. Sheeple is always a pejorative and is always meant to assert superiority. I see a lot of self righteousness and machismo. <snip>

I do realize that as knife (and some of us gun) enthusiasts that we are currently under attack in many ways and i certainly understand how easy it can be to become defensive of our beliefs but we also should try to take a stance that does us more good than harm.
I have no problem using the term within limits. Is it a pejorative (insult) and meant to assert superiority or is it from your own perspective a statement of fact or at least measured opinion? Both can be true.

Do I feel superior because I carry and use a knife? Do I feel superior because some people seem to be so entangled with the PC culture that any kind of tool that could be used as a weapon is evil? I don't feel superior, but I feel I am better prepared than many to deal with the little tasks that come up on a daily basis.

I feel sure that you have heard the comment at some point that in a crisis.... I'm coming to your house because you're prepared. It's a compliment. Having a knife or whatever device/widgit that is useful is a plus++. In the office.... someone needs to cut something and they come to you.... another plus+. Are these people sheeple that refuse to be even a little prepared for the little twists and turns in everyday life? Probably. But that it is more of an observation than perjorative directed to others.

This can quickly devolve into a semantics discussion but it is in my opinion a pejorative. Why not call them unprepared, uninformed, nonknife or antiknife? I guess you could ask yourself if you would call your unprepared friends, family and coworkers sheeple to their faces and if so what sort of repsonse does it get. To me it clearly has a negative connotation.

Yes, many have said that they will turn to me in a pinch. Yes, many people are less prepared than me materially and I would be happy to help. Many of them probably can help without being materially prepared. It takes more than stuff to get through tough times. Intelligence, problem solving, emotional support and a plethora of skills and abilities can all be useful. Plus, many hands make light work. In life I try to believe that most people are trying to do the best they can and we all prioritize different things, we all have different concerns, we all have different beliefs as well as different personalities.

I respect those who's opinions differ from mine and that includes those who feel saying sheeple is acceptable. I didn't post to engage in a heated debate but rather just to voice my stance since that is what most of this thread has been.

This can quickly devolve into a semantics discussion but it is in my opinion a pejorative. Why not call them unprepared, uninformed, nonknife or antiknife? I guess you could ask yourself if you would call your unprepared friends, family and coworkers sheeple to their faces and if so what sort of repsonse does it get. To me it clearly has a negative connotation.
Sheeple is just quicker and I would call them this to their face if I felt it applied. Probably would chuckle a little when I said it to keep it light. But, the truth hurts sometimes and if they feel something is important maybe that might be the nudge for them to make some changes. I have said this before in the other sheeple thread, but basically most of us are sheeple to one degree or another. We are all dependent somewhat and probably easily influenced on some topics, but less on others. I have no problem with a judicial use of the term or being called this.

The only time I ever encounter the term "sheeple" being used is on the internet.
I'll leave it with "LOL", "OMG", "LMAO", and other terminology that has no place in real life. ;)

To build off my avatar--seeing as this is all internet stuff anyway--"Lizardtastic" will be the new terminology for those that are prepared. :thumbsup:
I suppose "Dragonrific" is also acceptable.

Today, my Dragonrific carry was an Emerson Karambit, and the ZT 0620CF.
And a Swisschamp in my backpack.
I was completely Lizardtastic, and all the mole people had no idea (mole people is the new term for those who are unprepared :) ).

The only time I ever encounter the term "sheeple" being used is on the internet.
I'll leave it with "LOL", "OMG", "LMAO", and other terminology that has no place in real life. ;)

To build off my avatar--seeing as this is all internet stuff anyway--"Lizardtastic" will be the new terminology for those that are prepared. :thumbsup:
I suppose "Dragonrific" is also acceptable.
I like the dragon books or I used to. It's something that is circular..... read a while this kind of thing and then switch to something else. Frodo would be proud of you. I burn through a lot of books on my Kindle. Thinking that Kindle Unlimited might just be for me.

As an author, I have wondered if the author sacrifices some of his royalties or whatever term you might use when a book is purchased at a lower price than either paper back or hard back? Just curious.... I just did a search on this and it said that publishers will pay different rates (percentages) based on the format that the book is sold under. True?

You may have noticed that I don't use the "LOL, OMG, LMAO" shorthand in threads. These are certainly a lot different from NIB or LNIB used which I do use.

Back