Who has an EDC for sheeple friendly carry, and one for who cares?

I carry at certain times a Kershaw Leak with a S30V blade. Has a razor edge and can be opened without the assist. Most other time a blade up to 3 1/2 inches is my preference.
P1000391-vi.jpg

As an author, I have wondered if the author sacrifices some of his royalties or whatever term you might use when a book is purchased at a lower price than either paper back or hard back? Just curious.... I just did a search on this and it said that publishers will pay different rates (percentages) based on the format that the book is sold under. True?

I get a certain percentage of the price the paperback and hardcover are listed for on the book itself.
If someone sells it for more or less, I still get the percentage based on the cover price.

The e-book gives me the same amount of money whether it sells for the intended price, or for up to double as some sites have it for.
I wish the e-book price couldn't be set higher by retailers, because I set the intended price with the publisher, based on what I figured people would be willing to spend on a book by an author they hadn't heard of before.
When they set the price higher, it gets me less money, because less people will want to take the chance on it. :(

Something about carrying more than one knife.
I say carry at least 4...one of them should end up being the right size for any occasion. :D

In that case - I seldom carry more than one, and that one is nearly always a folder with a blade length between 2"-3.5"

I get a certain percentage of the price the paperback and hardcover are listed for on the book itself.
If someone sells it for more or less, I still get the percentage based on the cover price.

The e-book gives me the same amount of money whether it sells for the intended price, or for up to double as some sites have it for.
I wish the e-book price couldn't be set higher by retailers, because I set the intended price with the publisher, based on what I figured people would be willing to spend on a book by an author they hadn't heard of before.
When they set the price higher, it gets me less money, because less people will want to take the chance on it. :(
Sorry for the diversion on this thread. But some authors (and publishers) have higher e-book prices than others. It is a detraction to the potential reader who just wants to try out a book and knows nothing about the book other than a description. I appreciate you responding. Of course there are the reviews. With books I do tend to take notice of the ratings if the book appears to be something I'd enjoy reading.

I normally carry one folder but I'll often carry a second knife if I feel the urge. I always have the little Leatherman Ps4 Squirt on my key chain. So, technically I have two or three knives on me.

I don't care, I don't go out of my way to intimidate people, but it's really none of there business what tool I use.

Never gotten hassled by police and never get people that say anything about what I carry other than friends or family that know I am a knife nut, being a 220lb bearded biker who doesn't give a * problably keeps errant comments away as well.

From BJE
"being a 220lb bearded biker who doesn't give a * problably keeps errant comments away as well."
It helps a bit.

"Sheeple" matter only for their tendency to ignore the lessons of history , i.e. disarmed = enslaved . Seeking security , they forfeit both security and the freedoms so hard won by their betters . Contempt is well earned .

I carry a fixed blade, a lockblade and a slipjoint besides the various SAKs on my keys and in the glovebox. This covers me for most situations whether extreme or mundane and one to match the dynamic of the group I'm with when it's needed.

Typically on any given day and actually as of late these are what get carried on a daily basis.

A fixed blade , could be a Bud Nealy Aikuchi for a backup SD knife.

kIMEzrb.jpg
ojOwZOH.jpg

or any other of a number of job specific FBs, like my Dozier Arkansas Toothpick or EK Model 5 Bowie

For a medium to large lockblade, my Lrg. Sebenza 21, ZTs, Benchmades or Spyderco s .

On2PleA.jpg

and for more intimate settings any number of vintage slipjoints, again depending on the day ahead. Most days these are in my pocket to give me more of a choice.

I0AkEYu.jpg
...but I can always pick from some nice old and newer traditionals to round off the options.

On average though, these tend to be the ones that get the most pocket time, this month ;)

It's nice to have choices, these tend to be my favorites for now but that can change on a whim at any moment ;) .

yRIQNdP.jpg

Lately I've been carrying and using this JD Ellis Lanny's Clip a lot.

ZT0CZRO.jpg

XWAo5JK.jpg

Bottom line is I carry what the situation permits. Do I risk losing a knife because I take a chance to carry it in a city or state with ambiguous laws? Sometimes. I carry concealed most times anyways so the knife an in case for SD so the fixed blade will get more utility use than SD.

Do I carry "sheeple" friendly knives? Well let's be realistic here, there's no such thing as a sheeple friendly knife. Any knife will always be a compromise between what I want and what they feel safe with. By having a choice and using a situationally appropriate knife I get to carry a bigger knife for when the situation requires it but have a more appropriate option to use when needed.

You gotta decide what's worth more to you, your freedom, it's hard to carry a knife in prison, not I possible but I'd rather carry a 3" blade as a free man than hide a 6"shiv... well you get my meaning. Choose your battles and be aware of the laws in not only the state but the local cities and even the environment, (work place, public parks and buildings) then you have to decide. Are these guidelines appropriate ? Am I willing to lose my knife and possibly get arrested for what I carry.

That was my long answer, here's my short one:

I carry a more appropriate blade for the environment I'm traveling through and a larger multi purpose utility knife as a back up and use that when and where appropriate other than that, like most here I have and use a CCW permit so a knife as a weapon is always not my firsts or even second choice as my primary tool and if I'm pullin' it out, I'm not gonna be too concerned with whether someone is offended or scared.

One note, why does it have to be sheeple appropriate why can't it just be an appropriate knife? There are guys out there who spend their years with nothing more than a peanut pattern and get by fine.

I've carried everything from switchblades to a kukri when I was clearing branches from the perimeter fence at the county prison. Benchmades and Spydercos in the office and never a problem just the occasional question like, "Where'd you get that?" or "Is that legal?" other than that I've never had an issue no matter what knife I pull out. :)

"Sheeple" matter only for their tendency to ignore the lessons of history , i.e. disarmed = enslaved . Seeking security , they forfeit both security and the freedoms so hard won by their betters . Contempt is well earned .

My knee jerk reaction to the sight of someone showing or using a knife is curiosity as to what kind it is :D . However, reacting negatively to the sight of someone with a knife is one thing, maybe misguided, but unless you know the person, you can't assume anything because he/she doesn't carry a weapon. It may have nothing to do with the lessons of history. One of my good friends, a highly decorated career marine who served two tours of duty in combat zones during the Vietnam war until a truck accident that almost killed him ended his time in the service, doesn't carry either, and owns a pistol only because someone gave it to him. He has never even fired it. Some people simply don't believe that going around armed is going to protect either their freedoms or themselves, preferring to rely on political action for the former and hand to hand combat training for the latter. You may disagree on those life choices, but I wouldn't call someone like that a sheeple.
As a p.s., no greater authority on armed self defense, Masaad Ayoob, a police detective arms instructor and author who always carried a weapon as part of his job, once wrote that if someone pointed a gun at him and demanded his wallet, he would simply hand it over on the grounds that a deadly confrontation over mere money isn't worth the post-shooting hassle. A trained mind is a powerful defense in and of itself.

Last edited:
When I hear someone say sheeple I assume I am listening to a sheep in wolves clothing. Strong people do not need to prop themselves up by putting others down. Sheeple is always a pejorative and is always meant to assert superiority. I see a lot of self righteousness and machismo. I assume you guys won't take offense to my stance since you have already stated that you are not easily offended like "sheeple" are. ;)

...."always a perjorative"...."always meant to assert superiority"?

What a load of garbage. Talk about self-righteousness and machismo. Next, you will be telling us that all knives and guns are always weapons.

The only reason that "sheeple" is insulting is that someone wants it so. But, I will safely assume you have a desire to be insulted because, according to you, the term is always perjorative. The term "sheeple" is no more insulting than terms like "liberal" or left-wing". Of course, we easily could substitute "conservative" or "right-wing" if you take into account the bias reporting of the media.

Personally, I find "liberal" much more insulting than any of the others I have listed. Apparently, the Leftist Elite feel the same due to the fact they have dropped the term and are now using the term "Progressive" instead. Sounds so much nicer, doesn't it?

I find it amazing how many people will state their opinion as fact with zero or little chance for debate or difference of opinion. That is what happens, many times when someone will place a word like "always" in a written opinion editorial. That is all that most posts are, here on BF.com. Just editorials.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Past few months I've been carrying a Swiss Army spartan and it's a ton more useful than my larger folders.

I find it amazing how many people will state their opinion as fact with zero or little chance for debate or difference of opinion. That is what happens, many times when someone will place a word like "always" in a written opinion editorial. That is all that most posts are, here on BF.com. Just editorials.

Just my opinion.

OK, well IMO, it sounds like a good time to find another forum better suited to your *non-editorial* tastes.

Curious now. Why hang around if that's all you think of this place...?

Do I carry "sheeple" friendly knives? Well let's be realistic here, there's no such thing as a sheeple friendly knife. Any knife will always be a compromise between what I want and what they feel safe with. By having a choice and using a situationally appropriate knife I get to carry a bigger knife for when the situation requires it but have a more appropriate option to use when needed.

It's rarely the knife and almost always the situation and the person with the knife that causes the reaction.

I just got back from years in squishy liberal Europe and used my rather pretty and very illegal 4" Protech TR4 in the middle of the grocery store and no one batted an eye, I'm just a non-offensive 40 year old dad.

99% of the time one encounters a person to be offended or even an LEO who is goin' to challenge your right to carry a pocket knife legally their opinions are made and set in the first 15-30 seconds they notice the knife.

My end goal is to use my knife, put it away and not have anyone questing my use, to basically see what I did as a perfectly normal occurrence.

We are bad ass wolves here like charlie and the rest of folks are sheep, baaa. We use the term to make ourselves feel all good and superior. Now who is offended? We got sheep dressed in wolves clothing here or what? :D

Now the sheep need our protection. So lets be nice to them. They can bring us food and do other good favors.

Correct use of the word... Refer to below.

shee·ple
SHēpəl/
noun
informal, derogatory
  1. people compared to sheep in being docile, foolish, or easily led.
    "by the time the sheeple wake up and try to change things, it will be too late"

lol! I'm not sure if you're joking or if you're just trying to sound tough.

i always preferred the term "eloi," myself when name calling.:)

...."always a perjorative"...."always meant to assert superiority"?

What a load of garbage. Talk about self-righteousness and machismo. Next, you will be telling us that all knives and guns are always weapons.

The only reason that "sheeple" is insulting is that someone wants it so. But, I will safely assume you have a desire to be insulted because, according to you, the term is always perjorative. The term "sheeple" is no more insulting than terms like "liberal" or left-wing". Of course, we easily could substitute "conservative" or "right-wing" if you take into account the bias reporting of the media.

Personally, I find "liberal" much more insulting than any of the others I have listed. Apparently, the Leftist Elite feel the same due to the fact they have dropped the term and are now using the term "Progressive" instead. Sounds so much nicer, doesn't it?

Just my opinion.

I have no desire to argue with you. You asserted your opinion in this thread and I have asserted mine. We both have the right to our opinion. I stand by what I said. This is a discussion forum and you should be prepared to hear opinions that differ from yours.

I have been an outdoorsman all my life and all my knives and guns are tools first and only weapons if the unfortunate scenario arises that presses them into that role. I am not who you think I am and I am not easily offended nor am I looking to be offended.

Your inability to differentiate semantics from politics says a lot. I stand by my stance that in a linguistic sense it is a pejorative. I believe that people who use it mostly use it in a derogatory manner. Please leave the politics at the door when you come in. There is a separate subforum for that.

I think it is safe to say we can agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:
I have no desire to argue with you. You asserted your opinion in this thread and I have asserted mine. We both have the right to our opinion. I stand by what I said. This is a discussion forum and you should be prepared to hear opinions that differ from yours.

I have been an outdoorsman all my life and all my knives and guns are tools first and only weapons if the unfortunate scenario arises that presses them into that role. I am not who you think I am and I am not easily offended nor am I looking to be offended.

Your inability to differentiate semantics from politics says a lot. I stand by my stance that in a linguistic sense it is a pejorative. I believe that people who use it mostly use it in a derogatory manner. Please leave the politics at the door when you come in. There is a separate subforum for that.

I think it is safe to say we can agree to disagree. :)
Of course, we can agree to disagree and I also have no desire to argue with you. We both probably have more in common than we have differences.

I expect to hear opinions that differ. That is part of the reason I joined BF. Life here would be very dull if we all had the exact same thoughts about the hobby. If you want to take the stance that the term "sheeple" is a pejorative, have at it. I disagree because that ignores the intent of the user.

I find it laughable that you just assume I have the inability to differentiate between semantics and politics. Remember, semantics and politics have always been good friends. The simple fact that you made that assumption also says a great deal. As does the statement that you believe most people use "sheeple" as a derogatory verbal weapon.

As for the politics comment, considering the term in question has been political in nature from its beginning, you should expect a someone to view your comments in that light. Personally, I did not but, some could. Especially, if you use a hardball term like "always". Did you not expect someone to push back? True, I did use some terms that some could consider political but, no more so than the term "sheeple". And, I used from both sides of the fence. My main focus was the fact that you took a hard stance by using the word "always."

I welcome any and all comments you may bring foward. I am sure they will make me think. I might even enjoy some of them or even crack a smile but, don't expect me to take this any further.

Back